1.    #1  
    Anyone had good or bad experience with their T600 in rain? I've been loathe to take it out of my pocket in the rain, but I'm in Seattle, so I'll have to eventually...
    Originally posted by Eteq
    Anyone had good or bad experience with their T600 in rain? I've been loathe to take it out of my pocket in the rain, but I'm in Seattle, so I'll have to eventually...
    I haven't tried mine in the rain, but my advice would be:

a) don't use it in the rain, and
    b) if you absolutely have to, invest in a thin, transparent plastic bag - you may look like an *****, but at least you won't get water getting inside through the SD slot.
    I'm having the same problem in London at the moment! Last night I waited till I got under a railway overbridge before replying to a txt msg, and even then I was protectively huddled over my baby. All the way home I was thinking "What if someone rings me bloody now? Do I wait and ring back, or risk my Treo and answer it?"

I have no solution but to huddle over it with my jacket flared out to protect it as much as I can.

I'm not sure about talking through a thin plastic bag though... I mean, there are enough nuts in London not to stand out too much... But still... I just don't know.

Maybe you need a msg on voicemail saying something like "Sorry, but I am out in the rain at the moment, and can't risk hurting my Treo. I will ring back as soon as I find a dry spot. Sorry for any inconvenience!" - He he!
    A good use for the ear-bud "hands-free" device: When it rains, keep the Treo under your jacket and simply use the ear piece to answer and talk on the phone.

This isn't exactly a problem unique to the Treo. It seems like this would be a no-brainer.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Good thinking. I've never used one before and so forgot I had it. A pity the provided slip-on case wasn't really designed with that in mind, but it's better than soaking your Treo I admit.

I ordered a case from Covertec which will work nicely with that, but they haven't sucked the $ out of my account yet, even though I put the order through over the weekend, so I'm not sure that will be coming anytime soon. I'll have to go and look into that no.

Ear-bud... Funny how the obvious sometimes escapes us completely, yet at other times we love to mention it exesively - As in "Oh look, it's raining..."
    I don't know about rain, but mine survived a soaking with lager the other night.

As I was waiting for a call, I'd put the Treo on the table in front of me so that I wouldn't miss it in the noisy pub. My friend next to me then managed to slop a sizeable amount of his pint on it...

Of course I grabbed it up straight away and immediately wiped it dry with a handkerchief. It was a little sticky for the rest of the evening, but I gave it a wipe with some antistatic cleaning wipes when I got home and it's not suffered any longterm ill effects.

Just as well for me and my friend...
    Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Treo 180g -> Treo 600 (UK GSMrevA)
    Cell Phone Case by Aquapac

Sorry, but I could not resist!

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Kind of along these lines, is cell signal strength affected by rain and other temporary weather conditions?

I probably should know this already, but I don't.
    Yep. Weather affects telecommunications.

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Originally posted by the phoenix

I ordered a case from Covertec which will work nicely with that, but they haven't sucked the $ out of my account yet, even though I put the order through over the weekend, so I'm not sure that will be coming anytime soon. I'll have to go and look into that no.

I dont think CoverTec is shipping any yet. I ordered almost 4 weeks ago.

Receipt # Order # Tracking # Date Amount Status
    XXXXXX XXXXXXX N/A 11/8/2003 $85.11 Backordered
    cellphone in the rain hahahaha. thats pretty crazy. maybe its just because i go to school in new mexico and live in the suburbs of colorado (where it rarely rains) or the fact that i drive just about everywhere but this really doesn't seem like a problem. why would you ever be that far from cover that you couldn't step under to answer a call.

mabe its just a location thing.
    It's definately a location thing.

In major cities like London, Boston, NY, Seatlle, etc. it is very common to walk and use public transportation.
    Couple this with a rainy climate and you have exactly the problem described. BTW, Seattle and London are particularly rainy.

I agree with the earbud approach. Put the treo in a pocket, set it to vibe and answer with the button on the earbud to keep it out of the rain. Also works well when you bike too.

D.
    Originally posted by HumP

I dont think CoverTec is shipping any yet. I ordered almost 4 weeks ago.

Receipt # Order # Tracking # Date Amount Status
    XXXXXX XXXXXXX N/A 11/8/2003 $85.11 Backordered
    Yeah no kidding. I ordered one the day I got the Treo 600. Still waiting!
    Shouldn't they like, put something on their website that actually tells you they don't have any in stock? 4 weeks!

I ordered mine through the UK website, and I believe it is coming from France... when it comes that is!

Oh well, at least I won't be holding my breath now.
    Here in Honolulu, Hi, during the winter time, we get lots and lots of rain - every day and then we get lots and lots of sun shine - every day. On those lots and lots of sun shine days, we get little showers in the mornings. Anyway to make a long story short, mine is in the HS swivel case and when it's wet outside (covered it is, though still gets damp form humidity), the screen guard key and the middle 5-way button do not perform well. Multiple presses are required. After the thing dries out, it works just great. So, keep it covered and be prepared for multiple presses.

Ben

--------------

Originally posted by Eteq
    Originally posted by bclinger
    Multiple presses are required. After the thing dries out, it works just great. So, keep it covered and be prepared for multiple presses.

Ben

--------------

Yo dude... I don't like the sound of that. Maybe you should buy one of those travel hair dryers so you can de-humidify your precious one - He he!
    It became VERY frustrating. It worked better out of the case, though that was not a really good option, being in and out of the car constantly. The only two keys that were effected were the on/off/keyguard and the middle button of the 5-way group.

Ben

------------

Originally posted by the phoenix

Yo dude... I don't like the sound of that. Maybe you should buy one of those travel hair dryers so you can de-humidify your precious one - He he!
  18.    #18  
    A good use for the ear-bud "hands-free" device: When it rains, keep the Treo under your jacket and simply use the ear piece to answer and talk on the phone.
    Well, sure, I use it all the time, I was just wondering if anyone knows how suceptible the Treo is to rain... from bclinger, it sounds like it can take at least a little exposure without much trouble...