Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I was having the contacts issue where the phone would soft reset when I tried to access my contacts from the d-ring in the dialer app. After reading every post on here related to the issue I think I have solved it for my Treo.

I upgraded from a treo 90, followed the instructions on the website. I noticed that the phone app has its own internal contact manager (just like the favorites), and I had a copy of Contacts listed in the PDA apps. You can see the both them if you go into the Menu>Display Preferences> ... and then try to change the app associated with the D-pad while in the dialer. Since I notice to Contacts listed, one above the line, indicating that it was part of the Phone app, and one below the line listed with the rest of the apps installed on the pda. I checked the version of the Contacts on the PDA and found that the copyright date was 2002, so I concluded that this was a legacy app from my treo 90. I associated this D-pad with this version of the contacts and I could access it with no problem even though I could not use the D-pad with it. I figured now that somehow it was a conflict between the two "Contacts" apps. So, (since it is 2:00 am and I am tired and frustrated) I deleted this app, being careful to NOT DELETE THE ASSOCIATED PREFS AND DATABASES, which would contain all my address info. I went back to the dialer (i.e. the Phone app) pressed down to access the contacts and low and behold it works. Maybe the address file gets corrupt when both contact apps try to access it. I don't know. I hope this helps somebody. I am going to bed.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    This is for the treo 600, obviously.
    I think I avoided a lot of the 'legacy app' problems that many people have reported by deciding to not use HotSync to transfer data from my old Visor to the 600. I basically started from scratch by installing the latest versions of applications I use, and beamed the data from within those applications. For example, from the contacts application you can beam entire categories. It is the data, not the database format that is sent by this mechanism, hence no legacy problems.

To date (I've had the 600 for about 6 weeks) I don't think I've had a single legacy problem, and very few resets - those that I do have are caused by my installing a trial version of something directly to the 600 rather than my normal method of trying it on the emulator first.
    Originally posted by gtoatley
    I was having the contacts issue where the phone would soft reset when I tried to access my contacts from the d-ring in the dialer app. After reading every post on here related to the issue I think I have solved it for my Treo.

I upgraded from a treo 90, followed the instructions on the website. I noticed that the phone app has its own internal contact manager (just like the favorites), and I had a copy of Contacts listed in the PDA apps. You can see the both them if you go into the Menu>Display Preferences> ... and then try to change the app associated with the D-pad while in the dialer. Since I notice to Contacts listed, one above the line, indicating that it was part of the Phone app, and one below the line listed with the rest of the apps installed on the pda. I checked the version of the Contacts on the PDA and found that the copyright date was 2002, so I concluded that this was a legacy app from my treo 90. I associated this D-pad with this version of the contacts and I could access it with no problem even though I could not use the D-pad with it. I figured now that somehow it was a conflict between the two "Contacts" apps. So, (since it is 2:00 am and I am tired and frustrated) I deleted this app, being careful to NOT DELETE THE ASSOCIATED PREFS AND DATABASES, which would contain all my address info. I went back to the dialer (i.e. the Phone app) pressed down to access the contacts and low and behold it works. Maybe the address file gets corrupt when both contact apps try to access it. I don't know. I hope this helps somebody. I am going to bed.
    That's very interesting. I checked and only have one Contacts listed in preferences. That's the one above the line and I don't have the reset problem with my current phone that I had with the previous one. Unfortunately, that other phone is gone so I can't check it to see if it had 2 Contacts. I hope, for the sake of all those other people that are having this problem, that you in fact found the possible cure. And good luck to you too .keep us posted. I'm still very curious as to whether or not this could've been my reset problem.