Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I receive voicemail from a message line through ringcentral.net. When someone leaves me a voicemail on that number, I receive an email with a .wav attachment of the message.

With my Treo 600, I receive the email via Snappermail and save the attachment to the card. Then, I open Pocket Tunes, select the attachment, and viola, I can listen to my voice mail messages on the road in .wav format.

The set-up seems to work fine. The only drawback is that the Treo won't automatically open the attachment in Pocket Tunes without me first saving it to the card and then opening it through Pocket Tunes.

Too bad the Treo won't register Pocket Tunes as the default .wav player like it does with other programs and attachments.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    pretty neat. i'm curious though: are there advantages to receiving your voice messages that way rather than having them leave messages on your cell phone voicemail?
    I get my voicemail through www.voicenation.com . They send me realaudio files. I wish realone/realplayer for the treo 600 would come out already (I have no idea if they're planning one)
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
    The one big advantage I can see is that you are not using your minutes to listen to voice mail. You use data via email. And if you are on an unlimited data plan...all is good.
    Originally posted by baguion
    The one big advantage I can see is that you are not using your minutes to listen to voice mail. You use data via email. And if you are on an unlimited data plan...all is good.
    Since you are calling your own phone number from your cell phone it is Sprint to Sprint (for me) and NEVER counts against your minutes. I believe all carriers are this way.

Why use the data when it is so much easier to just get your vm from your phone?
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    I use voicenation so I don't have to give out my cell phone number to anyone. I don't have a landline. Whenever I have to give out a number, I give my voicenation number, which is voicemail only.

I can make a call in and check the voicemail, and I do, since I can't play the realaudio files, I get the e-mail either way, so I might as well try to find a way to play them.
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
  7.    #7  
    I use regular voicemail (heavily) from T-Mobile, and am very happy with it.

My .wav messages I receive are from a separate, message only line which is charged per minute, including checking messages. So emailing the messages to me saves a few bucks.

But more importantly, those messages can be saved on my computer as a permanent record of the call, including date, time, caller ID info, and the message itself. For this voice mail, I would rather have the e-mailed .wav file.

Finally, I have read messages here from some people who receive their corporate voicemail in .wav files. This solution should work for them.
    Originally posted by tjd414

Since you are calling your own phone number from your cell phone it is Sprint to Sprint (for me) and NEVER counts against your minutes. I believe all carriers are this way.

Why use the data when it is so much easier to just get your vm from your phone?
    Hmmm...I don't believe that's correct. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $dialing$ $voicemail$ $on$ $Sprint$ does use your minutes. I believe unlimited PCS-to-PCS applies only to other PCS phones...at least that's how I've been billed...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Hmmm...I don't believe that's correct. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $dialing$ $voicemail$ $on$ $Sprint$ $does$ $use$ $your$ $minutes$. $I$ $believe$ $unlimited$ $PCS$-$to$-$PCS$ $applies$ $only$ $to$ $other$ $PCS$ $phones$...$at$ $least$ $that$'$s$ $how$ $I$'$ve$ $been$ $billed$...
    That's how I am billed as well.
    I don't get charged for checking vm. If you check your invoice online you see whether you are charged by going to the detailed billing section of your invoice.

I do have unlimited PCS to PCS, though.
    Originally posted by tjd414
    I don't get charged for checking vm. If you check your invoice online you see whether you are charged by going to the detailed billing section of your invoice.

I do have unlimited PCS to PCS, though.
    I did checked my online and paper bill and I get charged airtime minutes when check my voicemail. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $this$ $is$ $standard$. $Perhaps$ $you$ $have$ $a$ $different$ $plan$ $or$ $something$...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    there is actually a secret trick on how to get your voicemail without being charged for minutes.

Let's say your numer is 212-555-1234.

Instead of dialing 212-555-1234, from a landline just dial 212-555-MAIL. The prompt will ask you for your Sprint PCS #, plus your PIN. You will not be charged minutes for this call.

Now, taking this one step further, if you have unlimited PCS-to-PCS, you can also call the same number of your cell with replacing the last four digits with MAIL, and it won't charge you for minutes because the system notices that you are dialing an NPA/NXX (thats a fancy term for area code and prefix- the first six digits of a ten digit phone number) of a SPCS number.

try it and see. it works here.

DISCLAIMER: This is a loophole, plain and simple, and it may be closed at any time because I have (perhaps stupidly) decided to post it here, or it may be closed because portability is in effect. YMMV.

EDIT: you can also check the voicemail of your wife's phone or any other SPCS phone by dialing the first six digits of your phone number, followed by MAIL, and as long as you have SPCS-to-SPCS free option, she won't be charged for the minutes even if she doesnt have free SPCS to SPCS.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Originally posted by crazyray
    there is actually a secret trick on how to get your voicemail without being charged for minutes.

Let's say your numer is 212-555-1234.

Instead of dialing 212-555-1234, from a landline just dial 212-555-MAIL. The prompt will ask you for your Sprint PCS #, plus your PIN. You will not be charged minutes for this call.
    FYI, you can accomplish the same thing by calling your pcs phone number from a landline, waiting for the call to go to voicemail, hitting * during your outgoing message, and then entering your PIN.

Originally posted by crazyray

Now, taking this one step further, if you have unlimited PCS-to-PCS, you can also call the same number of your cell with replacing the last four digits with MAIL, and it won't charge you for minutes because the system notices that you are dialing an NPA/NXX (thats a fancy term for area code and prefix- the first six digits of a ten digit phone number) of a SPCS number.

try it and see. it works here.

DISCLAIMER: This is a loophole, plain and simple, and it may be closed at any time because I have (perhaps stupidly) decided to post it here, or it may be closed because portability is in effect. YMMV.
    I just tried this. 5 minutes later, the call was registered as an off-peak call, NOT as a PCS-to-PCS call, according to the website usage log. So it looks like your loophole is closed...
    Anyone figure out how to make PocketTunes open automatically when you open a .wav file?
    I get charged for checking my voicemail from my own phone too. I usually borrow my wife's or a friend's PCS phone (who hopefully has Unlimited PCS to PCS) to dial my phone to check the voicemail.

Alternatively, you can use a landline as well. Just dial your number * password # and listen.
    (The # is optional, but executes the call faster.)
    This topic is just too funny! Not wanting to give out cell numbers, having .wav files e-mailed then transferring them from medium A to medium B, people not being able to call you directly, looking for loopholes to check minutes.
    I'm literally about to fall out of my seat laughing! You guys just have too much time!

Have a great night everyone!
    Tom
    Actually, I'm interesting in the ability to listen to .wav files, but not to save a few minutes. I don't get too close to the 500 minutes in my plan anyway.

But my company voice mail system sends .wav file attachments to the company email system, and I use BaseJet to get all my company emails sent to my Treo. If I can just listen to the .wav file when I get it, it's easier than calling in to my company voice mail system. Pretty cool.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Originally posted by baguion
    The new version is susposed to come out after January 31, 2004... Exactly when... No idea.
    Palm III > Palm IIIC > Handera 330 > Kyocera 6035 & Sony NR70V > Treo 600 > Treo650 & Palm LifeDrive > Modded LifeDrive w/16gig CF > Palm Pre
    I was given the tip to call xxx-xxx-MAIL by a T-Mobile customer service representative a year ago when I called and asked how I could check voice mail without using up minutes. So I don't think of it as a secret loophole.

With number portability, however, this may not continue to work, but who knows...
    "The file type you are attempting to download is not supported on your device."

Message from Blazer when I try to "Play Memo". My sister is sending me a Picture mail from her SPCS phone, added a memo, which is a .wav file.

How can I get it to auto-open pocket-tunes for this file?
    or
    How can I "Save-Target-As" on the link, like on my pc?

Sorry to get back to topic
    -Treo 600 on Sprint
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast