Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I finally got a knowledgeable (I think) response from T-Mobile regarding their delay in offering the Treo 600. Phone calls and visits to the store didn't produce anything but blank stares and frustration, so I used the email system via their website to get this.

-----------------------------------------
    My inquiry:

Customer - 12/01/2003 02:49 PM
    Hi there,

I have inquired about when T-Mobile will be offering the Handspring Treo 600 PDA phone for the past 2 1/2 months and I still cannot get an answer from anyone at T-Mobile either in your retail stores or via phone.

At this time, Sprint, Cingular and even AT & T carries the Treo 600. As a T-Mobile customer since the California rollout a few years ago, I have seen T-Mobile be the first company to support previous Handspring Treo models. This time around, everyone else is carrying it but not T-Mobile, and no one at T-Mobile can tell me why.

I am reluctant to switch mobile service carriers because I have such a good deal through T-Mobile, but am considering switching back to Cingular so I can take advantage of the new Treo 600's features. This would be a shame for T-Mobile and me.

I have been patiently waiting for T-Mobile to release the Treo 600 and don't mind waiting a little longer, but so far I have not been able to even find out if T-Mobile will be carrying the phone at all. Can you tell me if and when T-Mobile will carry the Treo 600?

Thanks,

Rick

Their response:

Dear Rick,
    Thank you for taking the time to contact T-Mobile. We are currently experiencing some problems regarding synching the Treo 600 with our network which has delayed the release of this device. We hope to have these issues resolved in a timely matter and should be releasing this device sometime in December. If you have any other comments, questions, or
    concerns, please feel free to contact us.

Thank you for choosing T-Mobile.

Sincerely,
    T-Mobile USA, Inc.
    Mike C.
    Web Services

My follow up question:

Hi,

Thank you very much for the timely response. I have a follow up question:

Can you tell me why T-Mobile is having a problem with the device, but Cingular isn't? I thought that both companies used the same technology and network system.

Thank you,

Rick

I'm not sure what 'synching' problems really mean. Does anyone else know? Does it sound like a legit answer? I'm not sure....

Thanks,

Rick in San Diego
    Personally, I don't buy it but I'm not a telecom expert. Why would the 'unlocked Treo 600' not be experiencing a 'syncing problem? Even if there was a syncing issue, that would most likely be an issue on their network not the device.
    The other thread (the title of which escapes me but is also "T-Mobile" oriented) has a lead-off post that is ALSO a letter from T-Mobile (to their sales staff, etc) saying T-Mobile isn't going to be carrying the TREO 600 but will be allowing it to be sold by Handspring (sic) via T-Mobile's web site ONLY (not in stores).

Perhaps the T-Mobile person who emailed you misinterpreted "release" with "carry".

For sure, though, someone isn't getting the story right.
    Could it be that crappy T-Zone stuff? Maybe TMo is trying to make sure the Treo allows easy access to their crappy T-Zone system. That proprietary (and ridiculously priced and just plain ridiculous) TZone seems do be the source of delight for someone at TMo. The higher ups must think it's their way of making extra money with wireless data--having some kind of proprietary wireless network for TMobile users to pay extra for. Neither ATT nor Cingular have such systems (I think). And if they do, they must just not care as much as TMo.
    I have an unbranded Treo 600 & it works just fine with the $4.99 unlimited T-Zones plan. WAP, HTML, POP3 & SMTP all work on my Treo. I just stuck in my SIM & selected "T-Zones" from the Prefs->Network control panel & I was online!
    If you are calling $4.99/month "ridiculously overpriced" then I guess the Treo itself is WAY out of your price range

Originally posted by jsl94117
    Could it be that crappy T-Zone stuff? Maybe TMo is trying to make sure the Treo allows easy access to their crappy T-Zone system. That proprietary (and ridiculously priced and just plain ridiculous) TZone seems do be the source of delight for someone at TMo. The higher ups must think it's their way of making extra money with wireless data--having some kind of proprietary wireless network for TMobile users to pay extra for. Neither ATT nor Cingular have such systems (I think). And if they do, they must just not care as much as TMo.
    I've had some strange problems with T-Mobile and an unbranded T600 in which the network became unusable without intervention from a Tier II tech. This happened once, twice, and sometimes even MORE often EVERY DAY. And when it did happen, the Treo couldn't be used for phone calls either (it was hung up somehow).

I suspect that's the problem, anyway, but who knows.

Marc
  7. Rey
    I bought one of the Cingular phones and put my t-mobile sim in it. No problems with that. Only catch is the phone can't connect over GPRS. You can get online with CSD, but that's it. The folks at T-mobile are aware of this. One tech told me it has something to do with how the 600 communicates over GPRS, it does not work the same way as T-Mobile has their system set up. Says its a radio frequency thing. This may be the so called "syncing problem"

Cheers

P.S. T-Zone sucks. Go with the T-mobile Internet Unlimited plan. Especially with a phone like this.
    Originally posted by Rey
    P.S. T-Zone sucks. Go with the T-mobile Internet Unlimited plan. Especially with a phone like this.

Please explain. How is paying $20/mo better than paying $5/mo. Users at www.howardforums.com have done extensive testing & speeds are the same between both plans. If I get everything I want for $5/mo then how is giving T-Mobile an extra $15/mo better for me??
    It would appear that this is a serious issue.

-m
    But if you can access almost all the same stuff with T-Zones, why pay $15 more for unlimited internet? There still seems to be debate as to what the differences are between the two....

EDIT: wow, 3 of us posted at nearly the exact same time. Ignore my post I suppose, it's pretty much the same response
    There has been extensive discussion of the issue at www.howardforums.com. The concensus there is that the T-Mobile Internet is only for people that need the extra ports open for VPN, etc. Other than the extra ports being open, both T-Zones and T-Mobile Internet are identical (except for price).
    The T-Mobile forum at www.howardforums.com is EXCELLENT and will answer all of your T-Mobile related questions
    I too have had increasing problems connecting my Cing T600 GPRS to Tmo. But my problem appears to be limited to the tower closest to my house (and my office which is only two blocks away) When I move to a different cell, it seems to work fine. On the other hand, I can put the SIM back in my 180 and experience the same problems

I've had a trouble ticket open for a week now...
    I'm using a Cingular Treo 600 with T-Mobile also. I have no problems with the phone side. On the GPRS side I have problems sometimes with data not working after a voice call, but it's not consistent and I have seeing these problems with a Nokia 6600 also before switching to the Treo. I don't really think there is any Treo 600 specific issue with using it on the T-Mobile network, but there are some odd things happening at times on the T-Mobile data side.
    Because T-zone forces you to use their proxy. Also their techs told me that it will only allow you to connect to microsoft exchange email servers (while at the same time swearing that it was imap compatiable -hows that for a contridiction Well I think thats not really true only they have a proxy misconfiguration.
    But regardless, as soon as I had my account changed to full internet, my email started working.

Originally posted by jennyfur
    But if you can access almost all the same stuff with T-Zones, why pay $15 more for unlimited internet? There still seems to be debate as to what the differences are between the two....

EDIT: wow, 3 of us posted at nearly the exact same time. Ignore my post I suppose, it's pretty much the same response
    So, is the 12th the new speculative date ?
  16. Rey
    T-Mobile should just end this crazy nonsense and give away internet access... well atleast make Unlimited Internet $5.
    Am going crazy waiting for tMobile's "release" (and discount) of 600. If the syncing issue really relates to gprs only, couldn't they fix that later?
    I have 2 Cingular branded Treo 600's on Tmobile... and not a single problem. I use them all day with voice and GPRS. Not a single problem at all. I don't know what people are talking about.
    Farzon - don't you look kind of funny with two Treos to the side of your head all day?

Keep their heads ringin'
    I'm using a Cingular Treo 600 on T-Mobile with no problems with voice or data.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast