1.    #1  
    Hi,

What am I doing wrong??? I'm trying to get an audio file on to my Treo so I can use it as a ring tone.

The file was originally a .wav so I changed it to a .mid

I emailed it to my yahoo email address and then accessed that account via the Treo so I could download the audio attachment to the Treo

So far, looking good!

The audio file downloaded and automatically went in to the 'Sounds' folder along with all the other ring tones!

Sweet!

Except when I click on the file and click play. Nothing. Nada. No sound. The file transfer, it's their in the list to be choosen as a ring tone but it just does not work!!!!

What have I done wrong?!!

HELP!!!!
    what software did you use to convert the wav to a midi?

what is the size of the midi file?

where did you transfer the file to - the palm card or the sd card?
    (needs to be on the palm card - there are a few ways to do this, but I don't believe the install tool will)

is it showing up in the ringtone manager? - nevermind - you answered this already...
  3.    #3  
    All I did to change the file from .wav to .mid was to click on the file and rename with a .mid extension. The file then plays through Windows Media Player as opposed to iTunes (which is what it used when it was a .wav file).

The size of the file is 56kb.

I think I transfered the file to the Treo directly, not the SD card. When I accessed the email that I had attached the file to and clicked 'download file' it seemed to automatically download to the Treo card, not the SD card.

The file does not appear as a play option on pTunes but is listed in the 'Sounds' folder as a ring tone option - which is exactly what I want.

But still it won't play!! GRRRRRRRRR!!!

M.
    Unfortunately, merely renaming a file doesn't change it's format. Windows Media player plays both wav and mid files, so it's probably trying to play the file as a midi but when it realizes that the file is really a wav it plays it that way. The Treo doesn't recognize wav files that's why it won't play your tune. Generally, converting wavs to midis is a major pain in the ****.
    Renaming the file doesn't change it's format. You'll need to use a program to convert from wav to midi.
    Steve Lineberry

Cingular GSM
    Treo 600
    Treo 270
  6.    #6  
    Can you suggest the best/easiest/quickest/most cost effective way to change a wav to a midi, please?

Thanks!
    Originally posted by Taz8
    Can you suggest the best/easiest/quickest/most cost effective way to change a wav to a midi, please?
    That's actually not a very easy thing to do. It's like converting the SOUND of someone playing a piano into sheet music.

A .wav file (or an .mp3) is an actual physical sound recording. A .mid (MIDI file) is like sheet music, it says play this note at this time for this long using this sound.

That said, there are converters, but it's not likely to yield the results you're expecting.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for the insight. I'm not very techy minded so this was all news to me. Is there a way (a tool?) to create midis? The wav file is only a sequence of 4 notes! If there was some way to create a midi from scratch that was these 4 notes then I wouldn't need to mess around with the wav conversion - which doesn't sound to likely of do-able anyway!
    Maybe you want to check out
    http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/win95/FORMAT_CONVERTERS/
    and look for a wav-to-midi converter.
    Some of them are free or shareware.
    Well, the easiest way to create a MIDI from scrach would be to, well, make one on a keyboard that has a MIDI interface!

But aside from that, there are several PC software packages that do this, even freeware:

http://www.necrocosm.com/midimaker/

If you are using a Mac like me, check www.versiontracker.com and do a search for MIDI...
    my fav midi creator/editor is anvil - it is pretty easy to use, has lots of features and is free. there are other options you can add to studio for a cost like the ability to print sheet music or variable volume settings through a single track, but the basic editor is free - no expiration and packed with options.
    THAT is sweet. Definitely going to try that with Virtual PC...
    Originally posted by Taz8
    Thanks for the insight. I'm not very techy minded so this was all news to me. Is there a way (a tool?) to create midis? The wav file is only a sequence of 4 notes! If there was some way to create a midi from scratch that was these 4 notes then I wouldn't need to mess around with the wav conversion - which doesn't sound to likely of do-able anyway!
    As others have suggested, there are many options for creating MIDI files. But just to complete my explanation, a midi editor is typically called a Sequencer. Well it used to be anyway. Nowadays, pro-level Sequencers (Digital Performer, Cakewalk Pro Audio, etc) also sync with digital audio files (ha! wav files). This means that they simultaneously handle midi data (to play notes on midi sound modules or keyboards) as well playback/record digital audio tracks (guitar, vocals)...

Anyway, there are lots of free midi editors out there. I found a nice simple tiny one somewhere (it's on my home computer, I can post it later) when I was editing midi ringers for my Sanyo 5150 phone.
    I'm interested in writing MIDI tones/ringers specifically for the Treo 600.

My friend is a musician/composer and I am looking for a high quality program that will emulate the full range of MIDI sounds which the Treo 600 can produce. I don't want him to waste his time writing something on his MIDI synthesizer that won't sound as it was intended once played back on the phone.

How would we accurately simulate (on a computer/synthesizer) the MIDI sounds that a Treo 600 can produce?
    Hey since you already have your .wav file, why not dl LightWav for your T600 and if you follow all the instructions you can have your wav playing just like it sounds on your pc (minus the bass.)