Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Okay - first of all, anyone who's seen me gripe here knows that I am an email consultant and have been searching for the perfect IMAP client (for me and numerous customeres) - VersaMail 2.5 is as close as I've seen, and I'm content for now

However, I ran into some setup problems that I will post here in case anyone else has troubles:

Essentially, all of the problems I had were due to the same "bug" (can only call it that, cause it certainly isn't WAD!).

While setting up the email servers and your display name, if you make any mistakes, plan on starting over.

Everything was working fine for me, however when I put my Display Name in, it only said "Danita Za" instead of "Danita Zanre". So I "fixed" it - however, when it tried to send mail, suddenly I had:

Danita Zanre" <danita@mydomain.net>

Notice that the name was in there twice, and a return between the two instances. This made the receiving email server reject the message as "bad" on some servers. So I went in and "deleted" the name - or so it seemed, but next try was this:

Danita Zanre" <danita@mydomain.net>

Same thing - mail server rejected.

So I decided to start over. Created new account - didn't put anything in the Display Name. Accidently typoed my outbound mail server <g>. Suddenly it couldn't resolve mail.mydomain.com.mydomain.com

Third try the charm - it works now perfectly. But I'm going to report this to Palm - no idea if this is a problem across the board with the program, or only with the T600, etc.

Danita
    just a quick question, did you get it to auto fetch? some of us are trying to find a reason it gets hung up when connecting and then times out.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Yes, it's auto-fetching just fine - I didn't do anything special - just turned it on. Wish I had some insight as to why it isn't working for you.

And while I'm on the subject, once you figure out how to get it to auto-poll, you will find that it is the most inobtrusive thing you've ever used. All of the others I've used have stopped you in your tracks i order to be able to poll. VersaMail does it all in the background, and just uses the little "snowflake" alert to let you know there is new mail - even if you are doing something else - like Verichat, or whatever.

Danita
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Auto-fetch has failed a couple of times today - I got a "background process busy" message while I was on a call, and after that it wouldn't fetch again, until I turned fetch off and reinitialized it . . . hmmmmm.

So, yes, there does seem to be "something" up with it occasionally.

Danita
    As reported here by treo1 and in another thread I'm also having problems getting the auto fetch to work. I agree that VersaMail appears to be the best (though not perfect) IMAP client available for the T600. If I could just get auto fetch working and have 5-way nav support it WOULD be perfect (or close to it)!

David
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Auto Fetch is working "most" of the time for me - had about 4 failures today (and I fetch every 15 minutes) - I get an error about "network delayed" when it happens.

Danita
    is there a trial version available for VersaMail? i know where i can buy the product but would like to trial it first.

thanks in advance
    Agreed, VersaMail is the best IMAP client so far. I wish we had more options, however.

It's not fancy, but it works and has a lot of great plugins.

For all of you who want a copy but want to test it first, well.. you can't. But we all tested it for you and most agree it's a nice and stable imap client.
    Gabe Kangas
    Achievatron 2004 - ?
    Visor Deluxe -> Treo 300 -> TREO 600 -> Treo 650
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Originally posted by whty
    is there a trial version available for VersaMail? i know where i can buy the product but would like to trial it first.

thanks in advance
    No - I've gone around and around with Palm over this one. I wrote an article a couple of years back on IMAP clients for Palm OS - they wouldn't give me a trial - they weren't in the article. I've berated them about needing to see it in action since so many "IMAP" clients don't really do what they "say" they do, but they simply wouldn't give in. No idea why they won't let people try it. I'd think they would have many more sales if they did, because it "works" on almost every level a step above everything else out there.

Just gotta figure out why it times out to my server attempting SSL!

Danita