Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I read on the post from the guy who's sending his back that someone backs up their system to the SD in such a way that if the T600 crashes, they can re-load from the SD card?

How do you do that? Do I need more software? I have 512 card.

As an aside, this phone is addicting! I started off with a good deal by getting it for $249.00 MINUS the amount I will eventually charge my son for my old T300 that I only had for 3 months. But I've spent much more than that on accessories, software, card, etc.!
    You need 3rd party software such as Backupman. Some people have reported success with the free software BackupBuddy but as of last time I checked, the Palm application was not officially compatible with OS5, which the Treo 600 runs. A quick search on google should lead you to the software quickly.
    Hi there,

Kevin from palmOne here. I just wanted to post the customer support page link for this question. There’s a list of third-party applications that enable this function there.

Can I backup my Treo onto an SD card?
    http://support.handspring.com/esuppo...sType=RESEARCH

Best wishes,
    Kevin
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Kevin Michaels
    kevin.michaels@palm.com
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Check out what’s new at
    http://www.palm.com/
    I've alternately used both backupman and Botzman Backup on my Treo600 and have settle on Backupman b/c of the feature to backup to SD card automatically after a Hotsync. However, I understand Botzam will shortly introduce thsi feature as well and I may start using that app as my primary backup in the future...

Also, another thing to remember is to backup your SD card contents to your computer in case you lose both your Treo600 and card in some mishap. You can of course do thsi manually via a card reader etc...but I like to use an application called Bluesync from Blue Squirrel that automatically backups up the SD card after every hotsync to your computer. Bluesync combined with backupman seem like the ulimate backup solution for my needs! YMMV however...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I am currently testing a backup app called CardBkup. BackupMan didn't seem to quite work for me for some reason. But every so now and then there seems to be some problem when backing up, and you have to hit a "continue anyway" type button. I read that this isn't too much to worry about.... I haven't been brave enough to try a recovery.... So does it really work?! I don't know, but my stuff is theoratically backed up to that, and a desktop (I'm not totally nuts you know!)
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    Also, another thing to remember is to backup your SD card contents to your computer in case you lose both your Treo600 and card in some mishap.
    I'm using BackupMan, which seems to work OK - haven't tried a full restore after a hard reset, but have restored many individual files that I accidentally deleted whilst playing.

As for losing the phone and the card together, I have it set up to do a nightly backup to my 256Mb card which is in the 600 all the time, and I perform a weekly backup to the 32Mb card that came with the 600, which I keep at home.
    nd I perform a weekly backup to the 32Mb card that came with the 600, which I keep at home.
    You keep the 32 Mb card that came with it at home? The card that ships with the Sprint models is a mock / non functional card. Are you sure that your offsite backup is working?

That aside, does the backup that one makes to the SD card get included in the hotsync?

Dunc
    Originally posted by Dunc

You keep the 32 Mb card that came with it at home? The card that ships with the Sprint models is a mock / non functional card. Are you sure that your offsite backup is working?

That aside, does the backup that one makes to the SD card get included in the hotsync?

Dunc
    The Treo from Orange that I have came with a real, live 32Mb card (admittedly MMC rather than SD, but the difference is minor), so, yes, my backups are working. You might want to check your 'mock' card, however, as a number of people have posted on the board that they had expected a card to be included, only to find that what they thought was a 'mock' card was real - MMCs are narrower than SDs, do not have a read-only tab, and generally feel less substantial.

I know you can choose to install onto the card, but I don't think anything is backed up by HotSync - at least I can find no evidence of it in the logs, or the PC folders.
    Wow lucky you - 32 Mb card! Nope, the Sprint card that I received is solid plastic. The manual says that it is a mock / non-functioning card.

I have another card, though, ,that I'm using now. I don't see any sign of it being backed up with hotsync either. Wonder how I go about getting that to be backed up.
    I had the unfortunate pleasure to encounter a 'looping reset' (courtesy of Docs To Go and/or BatteryGraph) shortly before heading to bed last night. Being a Palm-newbie, this sort of freaked-me-out since I had no idea what to do! So, I looked-up the different types of resets available to me and tried each one -- ultimately, a HARD RESET was the only one that worked. But now I had to recover my data... Fortunately, I had been demo-ing both Backupman & Botzam Backup for about a week before this happened so I was pretty confident that recovery would be painless.... Nothing is ever that easy!

I tried using Botzam Backup to restore my T600. It was very quick doing it's restore processing but came up with an error message at the end stating that the 'Restore Failed'. I browsed the log and saw some messages about files that could not be recovered/deleted as well as one about an 'incorrect record length in AddressDB' or something like that. I checked the contents of the T600 and things looked alright but I just wasn't familiar enough (or comfortable) with the problems that Botzam reported to know whether or they were 'significant' or not. I wish that I would have known how to save the log -- not sure how to do a selective Hotsync.

Anyway, I started to sweat! Oh no, I thought! On to Backupman.....(with fingers crossed).

Well, Backupman was slower doing the actual restoration process...and there were no error messages! HURRAY! I couldn't help being a bit skeptical though since Botzam had problems so I looked at the log. No problems reported. GREAT, I assume all is well...

Why did Botzam have problems? IDEAS anyone?

It certainly looks like Backupman will become my app of choice. Botzam certainly has more features & flexibility -- if only it worked! Maybe, the errors were really nothing but it doesn't inspire my confidence!

BTW, Botzam does offer the option to do an automatic backup following a Hotsync. Obviously, this feature does not matter if the restore process doesn't work.
    -Brian-
    I'm a backup rookie - I've always depended on HotSync to save me, which it always has. Now, though, with SD, I'm thinking about a card backup solution.
    Here's the probably-dumb question:

Once you have a hard reset (which would wipe out the backup app, such as Botzam or whatever), and confidently whip out your last backed-up card, and smugly pop that suckah in the slot, how does the backup app get reinstalled so you can THEN do the restore?
    See what I'm saying - you need the backup app to do the restore, but the hard reset would have wiped out the backup app. So I'm guessing that the backup app will automatically install itself via the card, so you can then do the restore?
    I certainly don't want to test this, but thought I'd ask. I know it seems like a dumb question - it all hinges on how/if the backup app reinstalls itself. I looked in the docs for Botzam, and found nothing on this (it's too basic and obvious to put in the documentation, which should be a clue to me)...
    Even though I just installed both Backupman & Botzam Backup in the past week, I don't recall the exact sequence of events....

Nonetheless, I am 99% sure that each of the apps prompts you through the process of copying itself over to the SD card -- the first time you run the app, I believe. When recovery is needed, you pop in the SD card. Then you have access to the contents of the card and can run it from there.

Hope that helps.
    -Brian-
    I just bought BackupMan and that's exactly how it works. It asks you to copy itself over to the card and then will run from there as well.

I went with BackupMan b/c I've seen a ton of positive posts on that product and it was only 10 bucks.
    I also checked out backupman after posting this, and got the same clue (interestingly, botzam doesn't seem to prompt for that 'copy to card' function upon opening the app).
    I will likely stick with backupman - thanks all.
    I haven't the opportunity to fully test Botzam, but when it installs itself it automatically places a copy of itself on your SD card. So, you'd just run it from there to do the restore.

But, I still want to know - how do I backup the SD card? I'd really like HotSync to copy my backup to my laptop. I also want to make sure that the pictures I take with the camera, that are saved on the SD, get backed up.

Dunc
    nrosser, good question. The logical answer is: The backup utility must reside on the SD card in order to be able to do a restore after a hard reset.
    As newtreouser says, in order for BackupMan to function, there is a copy in RAM, and a copy on the card. If you need to perform a hard reset, you simply copy the image on the card into RAM, and run this new copy to perform a full restore.

As for backing up the card itself, my advice would be to invest in a SD reader. Not only can you then copy the backups directly onto you PC from the card, but you can also install files onto the card a lot faster than via HotSync.
    Originally posted by nrosser
    :

Once you have a hard reset (which would wipe out the backup app, such as Botzam or whatever), and confidently whip out your last backed-up card, and smugly pop that suckah in the slot, how does the backup app get reinstalled so you can THEN do the restore?
    Well, like others have already stated above, the backup app usually copies itself to the SD card during the initial backkup. In the case of BackupMan, it automatically makes a copy of the app on the card, and when in the unfortunate even you have to restore, you simply run Backupman from the card and it automatically restores from which ever backup set you choose...

Originally posted by Dunc

But, I still want to know - how do I backup the SD card? I'd really like HotSync to copy my backup to my laptop. I also want to make sure that the pictures I take with the camera, that are saved on the SD, get backed up.

Dunc
    Well, like I already stated in my above post, I use an app called BlueSync for precisely this purpose. It's a very slick app and I like it alot. The first time you hotsync, Bluesync will scan your card and make a full backup of the card on your computer. This first backup is a lenghty process, but on every subsequent hotsync Bluesync only backups changes it detects on your SD card thus speeding up the process. Using Bluesync and Backupman, I think I have a great redundant system which will help me recover in any eventuality. I highly recommend Bluesync for those interested...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I've been using a Cingular demo unit for a few weeks, running Backupman. My own 600 arrived yesterday. Since I've upgraded or replaced palm devices about a dozen times, I know the drill - hotsync the new device, usually it remembers most things (but sometimes forgets registration codes, some 3rd party application preferences, etc.).

Well, last night I had a not-so-bright idea - why not use Backupman? So I did a full backup (about 5 minutes), then popped the SD card and SIM into my new treo, then restored from the SD card in about 5 more minutes (using the Backupman app automatically installed on the card as discussed above) and VOILA - treo number 2 was an EXACT clone of treo 1. I have yet to find anything that is different. Way less painful / scary than the bare metal hotsync restore... plus now I have great confidence that I can do this in a pinch if needed after a hard reset. Sweet.

Paul
    you guys might want to check out myWorkbench file manager. It is a full featured file manager with backup/restore, view jpgs, compression... alot of features.

www.toysoft.ca
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast