Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    1. Dish Network DVR (100 hour drive)
    2. Treo 600
    3. Desktop computer
    4. Garmin E-Trex GPS

Oh yeah, life in 2003 has its perks! (I remember when Pong, and later Asteroids, were cool.)
    Originally posted by heberman
    (I remember when Pong, and later Asteroids, were cool.)
    ...Pong's not cool?
    I'm going to add the RCA LYRA 20GB RD2780 Audio/Video Jukebox in there. It can be the PVR like a Tivo/ReplayTV and it's portable. I don't have one, I think there are still some kinks in the system, but overall it looks to be a winner.

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/337/C1383/
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    You guys with TiVo are suckers. Hook a PC up to a plasma and install an ATI All-in-Wonder 9600 video card.

PVR plus DVD plus PC gaming plus audio jukebox plus web plus whatever you can imagine....
    Originally posted by skidoo
    You guys with TiVo are suckers. Hook a PC up to a plasma and install an ATI All-in-Wonder 9600 video card.

PVR plus DVD plus PC gaming plus audio jukebox plus web plus whatever you can imagine....
    Yes, that's what we all want to do, spend 1000 to have a PC that has less PVR functions than TiVo, and cannot control our cable boxes - what a great idea.

Oh, and I won't get a Plasma, they are just too small
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Originally posted by page3

Yes, that's what we all want to do, spend 1000 to have a PC that has less PVR functions than TiVo, and cannot control our cable boxes - what a great idea.
    Has MORE PVR funtionality (guides, pausing, guide-based recording, etc.), NO SUBSCRIPTION FEES, and controls cable perfectly. And does a million other things a Tivo will **NEVER** do. Doy.
    Here's my list:

1. DirecTV
    2. TiVo - Sony SAT-T60 Digital Receiver w/TiVo built in
    3. Gateway 42" Plasma TV
    4. Last but certainly not least - Treo 600 running on Tmobile

I glad my wife is so understanding.....
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm VII > Visor > Visor Prism > Visor Phone > Treo 180 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Palm Centro (running T-Mobile) > Almost Broke, but had enough $$ left over to get HD DVR w/DirecTV.

Has MORE PVR funtionality (guides, pausing, guide-based recording, etc.), NO SUBSCRIPTION FEES, and controls cable perfectly. And does a million other things a Tivo will **NEVER** do. Doy.
    I think we won't agree on this

In the UK, at least, no subscription fees for TiVo (Lifetime option), a PC cannot control my Telewest Cable box (uses some sort of IRDA, TiVo works fine), and a PC does not offer season passes and suggestions - two of my most used features.
  9.    #29  

This functionality is available with free TiVoweb modules.
    It is Linux based so can do all non CPU-super-intensive stuff -it's not going to do 3D CAD etc..., but I can't think of any PVR functionality that could not be added to a TiVo.

You are right about sub fees, but, you can buy a lifetime sub for 200 or 250 USD, which is less than the extra money you need to spend on hardware. If you would have already spent that money on super-dooper hardware, fine, but for most people, TiVo is a much more pleasant and better and cheaper experience.

I tried a couple of PC-based PVRs (MGI Pure Diva, Showshifter) but did not like them anywhere near as much as TiVo.
    They were good, but TiVo is truly FANTASTIC!
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Originally posted by page3

...and a PC does not offer season passes and suggestions
    No season passes (whatever they are), but it certainly offers suggestions. And powerful searching and scheduling. More powerful than any TiVo setup I've ever seen.
  11.    #31  
    No season passes (whatever they are), but it certainly offers suggestions. And powerful searching and scheduling. More powerful than any TiVo setup I've ever seen.
    You should check out some new TiVoweb modules that connect to online guides like digiguide.
    This efectively gives TiVo all the searching facilities you ever need.

Season passes and wishlists are TiVo's killer features!
    1: Naked Women
    2: Money & Lots of it (without it, women don't get naked and 3-8 can't happen)
    3: Internet
    4: Dell Laptop
    5: Treo 600
    7: Italian Food
    8: Chinese Food
    9: Greek Food
    10: Toilet Paper
    11: Sliced Bread (if you don't have any #10 you can use 11, just not rye bread)
    Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the Lord your God with all of your heart. Seek his will in all you do and He will direct your paths.
    I'm going to add the RCA LYRA 20GB RD2780 Audio/Video Jukebox in there.
    The Lyra cant hold the Archos AV380's jock. When combined with the AVCam300, its the premier gadget on the market today. Check it out at www.archos.com. The only strike against it is that Archos is a French company.

My 4 gadgets dejour are:
    1) Archos AV380 w/AVCam 300
    2) T600
    3) TiVo
    4) Garmen Legend GPS (Deserves HOF status as its stayed on my 'favorite gadgets' list for over 2 1/2 years now!!!)
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Originally posted by ttgchicago
    [B]

The Lyra cant hold the Archos AV380's jock. When combined with the AVCam300, its the premier gadget on the market today.
    Archos is making some cool stuff. I've got the 20-gig jukebox running the RockBox operating system. Tiny, durable (have beat the crap out of it for about a year maybe?) and great sound. And despite the fact that Archos is French, it still says, "Made in China" on the back .
    You guys need to get out more....

As a new poster to a forum it's tradition for me to rain on someones parade.

I'm not very impressed with the TREO 600. I'm finding my BlackBerry smokes it for all out email performance and my Ericsson P800 for multimedia AND RF performance. The GPRS is faster on the TREO but the fidelity of the P800 kills the TREO.

There you go.

ps TiVo is the product of the century.
    Originally posted by trackjunkie
    You guys need to get out more....

As a new poster to a forum it's tradition for me to rain on someones parade.

I'm not very impressed with the TREO 600. I'm finding my BlackBerry smokes it for all out email performance and my Ericsson P800 for multimedia AND RF performance. The GPRS is faster on the TREO but the fidelity of the P800 kills the TREO.

There you go.

ps TiVo is the product of the century.
    For me, Blackberry and GSM coverage sucks, doesn't do any good if it "smokes", if it doesn't work.

CDMA Treo works well though
    Pete
    Originally posted by PeteEMT

For me, Blackberry and GSM coverage sucks, doesn't do any good if it "smokes", if it doesn't work.

CDMA Treo works well though
    I wasn't really referring to coversage since that is quite variable. I was really talking about the hardware. My expectations were higher... I was hoping for a P800 and a BlackBerry had a baby.

The TREO is a fine gadget but the fidelity of the external speaker for anything but a phone call is poor. It has no WAV file support. Can't use MP3 for a ringer... Keys are too close (but I knew that) Just thought I might adapt. The Cellular performance is adequate on GSM, but again the P800 is better operating on the Same network. The built-in contact manager doesn't sort by Company(???). I thought the P800 camera was bad... the TREO is a league of its own baaaad. The GPRS connection won't terminate unless you go into the prefs and shut it off manually. No replaceable battery... No USB charger (out of the box). Slip case on a $600 device What's that about? How about a headphone jack??? Adapter schmadapter... please.

I do like some things... I like the favorites. I like the size / form factor. The screen seems ledgible in sunlight. Silent switch on top is nice. The 5 way nav is neat but how about contextual menus? I have to hit another key. I like the backlit keypad much better than my BlackBerry. Balance is nice in the hand. Stylus storage mucho better than p800. It would be nice if they would adopt a standard mini-USB connector for transfers and charging instead of this connector.

So what do you guys like about the TREO that makes your list?
  18.    #38  
    Originally posted by trackjunkie

The TREO is a fine gadget but the fidelity of the external speaker for anything but a phone call is poor. It has no WAV file support. Can't use MP3 for a ringer... Keys are too close (but I knew that) Just thought I might adapt. The Cellular performance is adequate on GSM, but again the P800 is better operating on the Same network. The built-in contact manager doesn't sort by Company(???). I thought the P800 camera was bad... the TREO is a league of its own baaaad. The GPRS connection won't terminate unless you go into the prefs and shut it off manually. No replaceable battery... No USB charger (out of the box). Slip case on a $600 device What's that about? How about a headphone jack??? Adapter schmadapter... please.

I do like some things... I like the favorites. I like the size / form factor. The screen seems ledgible in sunlight. Silent switch on top is nice. The 5 way nav is neat but how about contextual menus? I have to hit another key. I like the backlit keypad much better than my BlackBerry. Balance is nice in the hand. Stylus storage mucho better than p800. It would be nice if they would adopt a standard mini-USB connector for transfers and charging instead of this connector.

So what do you guys like about the TREO that makes your list?
    It runs PALM OS.

All the software things you have complained about, except mp3 as ringer have been implemented by 3rd parties and you often have , sometimes too many choices to choose from.

I'm sure you wil see many many more programs get updated for the Treo soon (I am working on a few).

For me. the 128MB limit of the P900/P800 is crippling for multimedia, when 512MB SD cards are MUCH MUCH cheaper than 4 memory duos.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12