1.    #1  
    I have received conflicting info and would appreciate someone clearing this up for me.

My hesitancy in ordering a Treo 600 is based on my assessment of much poorer GSM coverage compared to the TDMA coverage I have now with AT&T.

Today I was in BestBuy and looked at a Sprint T600 (the first one I have actually held in my hand!) I commented on my concern about coverage with either GSM or CDMA.

The BestBuy rep, who was wearing a Sprint shirt, told me that the CDMA Treo 600 is a tri-mode phone that could provide voice coverage (though not data, voicemail notification, and other digital features) almost anywhere by using the analog network. I expressed my skepticism about this being a feature of the T600, whereupon he looked up the device on his computer and assured me the data sheets confirmed he was correct.

Is this true? It doesn't match with comments I have read on this forum and doesn't appear to match the spec sheets I downloaded from Handspring. If it is indeed true for the CDMA model, does the GSM version have any capabilities off the GSM networks?

I suspect that I was just talking to an ill-informed BestBuy employee, but just in case I am the ill-informed one, I thought I should ask others.

Thanks.
    Originally posted by Dr J
    I have received conflicting info and would appreciate someone clearing this up for me.

My hesitancy in ordering a Treo 600 is based on my assessment of much poorer GSM coverage compared to the TDMA coverage I have now with AT&T.

Today I was in BestBuy and looked at a Sprint T600 (the first one I have actually held in my hand!) I commented on my concern about coverage with either GSM or CDMA.

The BestBuy rep, who was wearing a Sprint shirt, told me that the CDMA Treo 600 is a tri-mode phone that could provide voice coverage (though not data, voicemail notification, and other digital features) almost anywhere by using the analog network. I expressed my skepticism about this being a feature of the T600, whereupon he looked up the device on his computer and assured me the data sheets confirmed he was correct.

Is this true? It doesn't match with comments I have read on this forum and doesn't appear to match the spec sheets I downloaded from Handspring. If it is indeed true for the CDMA model, does the GSM version have any capabilities off the GSM networks?

I suspect that I was just talking to an ill-informed BestBuy employee, but just in case I am the ill-informed one, I thought I should ask others.

Thanks.
    The Treo 600 does not do Analog - only digital. Full specs are here:
    http://www.handspring.com/products/c...00_specs.jhtml
  3.    #3  
    Thanks. That's what I believed, but the BestBuy guy was so adamant about it, I had to check to make sure I wasn't misreading the spec sheets myself.
    Note that while the Treo 600 does not do analog it does do digtial roaming onto either CDMA 1900 networks or CDMA 800 networks (which Verizon primarily uses for their digital coverage).
    He was probably looking at this...

"Off-network roaming is making calls, receiving calls, and checking voicemail while off the Sprint Nationwide PCS Network. Roaming requires a dual-band phone or dual-band/tri-mode phone. Most phone features are still available while roaming, however PCS Vision, Caller ID, Call Waiting, and other services will not be available."

...and assumed that the Treo 600 was tri-mode.

However, you can roam into the Verizon network with the Treo.

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi