1.    #1  
    Has anyone else experienced this?

(Too) often, in the beginning of a phone call and then approx. every 40-70 seconds, the sound of the other part gets "garbled" (isn't that a word?) for 0.5-1 second, then goes back to normal, clear sound.
    Don't know if it has something to do with my GPRS being on in the background, I'll try to check.

Treo 600
    GSM unlocked internation version
    Hardware B

/Christopher
    Originally posted by grenness
    "garbled" (isn't that a word?)

/Christopher
    Yep...it is a word. Sounds like some type of interference.

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    It's a feature of GSM service in the USA. Its probably a nasty cell switchover as you travel along a road or when a cell becomes too congested and it hands you over to another cell.
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by Poryphyron
    It's a feature of GSM service in the USA. Its probably a nasty cell switchover as you travel along a road or when a cell becomes too congested and it hands you over to another cell.
    I've never been to the US with my Treo 600 (hint: look at my Location-setting under my name in the left column).
    It's true I'm on a GSM network here in Norway, but I've used several GSM phones with GPRS turned on (I had a Tungsten W for 6 months, for instance) and I've never experienced this sort of audible interference before.

/Christopher
    hint: look at my Location-setting under my name in the left column
    Oh, then that's your problem right there -- what you're hearing isn't garbled, it's probably just Norwegian. Nothing to be worried about, really.
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by snerdy

Oh, then that's your problem right there -- what you're hearing isn't garbled, it's probably just Norwegian. Nothing to be worried about, really.
    Skål!!
    Skål!!
    At first I thought your typing had become garbled as well, but a quick search reveals that: "Skål is a professional organisation of tourism leaders around the world, promoting global tourism and friendship."

http://www.skal.org/html/what/I/p01.htm

...Of course, that doesn't make any sense either.

Also: sorry you're having trouble with your Treo, grenness. Good luck!
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by snerdy

At first I thought your typing had become garbled as well, but a quick search reveals that: "Skål is a professional organisation of tourism leaders around the world, promoting global tourism and friendship."

http://www.skal.org/html/what/I/p01.htm

...Of course, that doesn't make any sense either.

Also: sorry you're having trouble with your Treo, grenness. Good luck!
    Man, you really have to get your google.com fixed!

http://www.mototuneusa.com/norway.htm
    so which one is the picture of you and your bike ?
    Man, you really have to get your google.com fixed!
    Yeah, it's kind of garbled.
  11.    #11  
    Has anyone else experienced this?

(Too) often, in the beginning of a phone call and then approx. every 40-70 seconds, the sound of the other part gets "garbled" (isn't that a word?) for 0.5-1 second, then goes back to normal, clear sound.
    Don't know if it has something to do with my GPRS being on in the background, I'll try to check.

Treo 600
    GSM unlocked internation version
    Hardware B

/Christopher
    1) It's probably not due to cell switchover, as it also happens when I'm standing still or sitting in my chair not moving an inch

2) It's not caused by GPRS traffic noise -- today I shut down the GPRS service and kept it shut off, but the garbling continued during voice conversations

Can anyone with a GSM unit please give their experiences - have you noticed this or not?

Thanks,
    Christopher

It could be interference on a frequency hopping channel.

When you are using frequency hopping, you will onlu see interference during the 1/2 second that 2 sites happen to hit the same channel in their hopping list at the same time. Usually you try to plan the frequencies, and synchronize so this can't happen, but they may have an issue at the site serving you.

If the problem doesn't happen in any other locations, I would bet this is your issue.
  13.    #13  
    Originally posted by RMitch
    It could be interference on a frequency hopping channel.

When you are using frequency hopping, you will onlu see interference during the 1/2 second that 2 sites happen to hit the same channel in their hopping list at the same time. Usually you try to plan the frequencies, and synchronize so this can't happen, but they may have an issue at the site serving you.

If the problem doesn't happen in any other locations, I would bet this is your issue.
    Didn't understand much of this except the last sentence...
    It happens everywhere, but ALSO when I'm completely still.
    Another thing is I've never experienced anything like it for the ten years I've had a GSM cell phone. It has to have something to do with the Treo itself.

/Christopher
    Doesn't happen here on T-Mobile GSM with an unbranded 600.

Didn't understand much of this except the last sentence...
    It happens everywhere, but ALSO when I'm completely still.
    Another thing is I've never experienced anything like it for the ten years I've had a GSM cell phone. It has to have something to do with the Treo itself.

/Christopher
    I'd have it replaced then. It sounds like a defective phone.
  16.    #16  
    Originally posted by RMitch

I'd have it replaced then. It sounds like a defective phone.
    I was hoping nobody would say that...
    Bought it from Mobilefly in Singapore, I'm in Norway...

/Christopher