Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I saw another post that made reference to that fact that a "lite' version of DocToGo was delivered with the T600. I have a few questions about this that I hope that someone can provide insight into:

- the only icons I see are Documents, SheetView, and WordView. When I hit these icons, I get an "About" screen, and that is all, the only option on this screen is a Done button which exists you out of the app. Do these icons do nothing, and just represent a background program which fires up when reading an email attachment (as the other post suggested?). [My phone number portability with Sprint has still not happened after 6 days now, so I have not been able to test launching a doc attached to an email yet)

- However, when I look under "Applications, Info" on my Treo, it does list WordToGo and SheetToGo as well as WordView and SheetView as applications. Are these apps installed and the icons not just showing up? Or is this on purpose and these are just the background apps that DocView and SheetView use? Or could these have been installed when I did my first Hotsynch since I had them on my previous Palm and therefore the Palm Desktop put them on the Treo?

- Can I / should I delete the WordToGo and SheetToGo apps if they are not needed or cannot be accessed? They are taking up quite a bit of space.

- I did have both of these apps on my previous Palm (m505), can these just be installed (I would guess not). Maybe I could do an upgrade, but not sure if the fact that these were packaged with my Palm would make me eligible (I did not buy separately and therefore do not have a receipt)?

- It appears that the Treo also installed something apps SS_P2P and WP_P2P that take up a good deal of space but which also do not have corresponding application icon. Are these also part of the components that DocView and SheetView need.

- On a slightly related note, I aimed my Treo at my laptop infrared port (to do a hotsynch) and my laptop recognized another infrared device and asked if I wanted to beam a file (nomal WinXP behavior). Out of curiosity, I went ahead and beamed a small Word file. My Treo then displayed it using DocView (I think). But my question is where did the file go? Once I closed DocView I could not reopen it and launch the file (I once again just got the "About" screen when I launcheed DocView).

- I also have a bunch of other Applications that show up under Applications, Info that do not have corresponding icons. I am trying to figure out which ones I can safely delete. Some like CDMAPhoneLibrary I obviously do not want to touch, but there are others like Datebk3HDB that I think are carryovers from old apps I used to have that I would liek to clean up. Is there any safe way of telling (I suspect the answer is be conservative and only delete ones you know for sure).

- The Applications, Info screen does not seem to recognize the 5 way, which seems really strange to me. The only way to scroll down seems to be to use the scroll bar on the right, which is difficult. Is this what everyone else is experiencing or do I have something configured incorrectly.

Sorry about the length of this and all the questions, but I am trying to get everything figured out with my new toy! (overall, its awesome and my phone and data services have not even been activated yet!!)
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Can anyone provide some insight on my DocToGo questions? I would really appreciate at least knowing whether what I am getting is consistent with what others are seeing or whether I have something wrong with mine. Thanks!
    Searches are always an excellent idea before posting. You might save yourself some trouble.

Have a read through this thread. DTG has issues. Contact DatViz, but read this first.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...604be0415.html
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    ....I did do a search first and did see this post, but it is addressing a totally different problem. I am not having problems with the 5 way, I am having problems with the application coming up at all when I select it. My other question was that only DocView and SheetView were installed, and not the full DocToGo app. I did see another post from someone who was surmised this was "normal" and wanted to get verification.
    Originally posted by dmchen
    - the only icons I see are Documents, SheetView, and WordView. When I hit these icons, I get an "About" screen, and that is all, the only option on this screen is a Done button which exists you out of the app. Do these icons do nothing, and just represent a background program which fires up when reading an email attachment (as the other post suggested?). [My phone number portability with Sprint has still not happened after 6 days now, so I have not been able to test launching a doc attached to an email yet)
    Yes. They are just like the Word and Powerpoint viewer for Microsoft. All you can do is view the documents.

- However, when I look under "Applications, Info" on my Treo, it does list WordToGo and SheetToGo as well as WordView and SheetView as applications. Are these apps installed and the icons not just showing up? Or is this on purpose and these are just the background apps that DocView and SheetView use? Or could these have been installed when I did my first Hotsynch since I had them on my previous Palm and therefore the Palm Desktop put them on the Treo?
    WordToGo and SheetToGo are the actual applications.

- Can I / should I delete the WordToGo and SheetToGo apps if they are not needed or cannot be accessed? They are taking up quite a bit of space.
    Only if you don't have the requirement of reading Word/Excel documents.

- I did have both of these apps on my previous Palm (m505), can these just be installed (I would guess not). Maybe I could do an upgrade, but not sure if the fact that these were packaged with my Palm would make me eligible (I did not buy separately and therefore do not have a receipt)?
    Well, if you have the applications and you are not using the Palm...

- It appears that the Treo also installed something apps SS_P2P and WP_P2P that take up a good deal of space but which also do not have corresponding application icon. Are these also part of the components that DocView and SheetView need.
    Yes. They are part of the applications. If you install FileZ it will make it easier for you to figure out what files belong to what application.

- On a slightly related note, I aimed my Treo at my laptop infrared port (to do a hotsynch) and my laptop recognized another infrared device and asked if I wanted to beam a file (nomal WinXP behavior). Out of curiosity, I went ahead and beamed a small Word file. My Treo then displayed it using DocView (I think). But my question is where did the file go? Once I closed DocView I could not reopen it and launch the file (I once again just got the "About" screen when I launcheed DocView).
    I think you can see them with FileZ.

- I also have a bunch of other Applications that show up under Applications, Info that do not have corresponding icons. I am trying to figure out which ones I can safely delete. Some like CDMAPhoneLibrary I obviously do not want to touch, but there are others like Datebk3HDB that I think are carryovers from old apps I used to have that I would liek to clean up. Is there any safe way of telling (I suspect the answer is be conservative and only delete ones you know for sure).
    Before I sync'd my Treo I went through the Palm directory on the PC and removed all the applications that I didn't want on it.

- The Applications, Info screen does not seem to recognize the 5 way, which seems really strange to me. The only way to scroll down seems to be to use the scroll bar on the right, which is difficult. Is this what everyone else is experiencing or do I have something configured incorrectly.
    Same here. But it is possible that we are both doing something wrong.

Hope this helps.

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Cash70,

Thanks much for taking the time out to respond to my detailed questions. Very helpful...you cleared up things quite a bit.

Just two few follow-ups items:

Sounds like I DO need DocToGo and SheetToGo installed for DocView and SheetView to work? Is this correct? (in other words, right now, all 4 apps are installed, but I only have functionality for DocView and SheetView. The DocToGo and SheetToGo apps show up under Applications, Info but they do not show up as application icons. I would normally think I could therefore delete them, but sounds like they need to be there for the viewer apps to work?). The reason I ask is because I formerly had DocToGo and SheetToGo on my m505, and I am not sure if what I am seeing is just an non-working version from my m505 that was inadverdently installed when I did my initial synch to my Treo.

ALso, does anyone know if you bought an m505, which had the full-blown DTG suite installed whether DataViz will let you upgrade to a full blown version for the Treo or do they make you buy it again at full price?
    Sounds like I DO need DocToGo and SheetToGo installed for DocView and SheetView to work? Is this correct? (in other words, right now, all 4 apps are installed, but I only have functionality for DocView and SheetView. The DocToGo and SheetToGo apps show up under Applications, Info but they do not show up as application icons. I would normally think I could therefore delete them, but sounds like they need to be there for the viewer apps to work?). The reason I ask is because I formerly had DocToGo and SheetToGo on my m505, and I am not sure if what I am seeing is just an non-working version from my m505 that was inadverdently installed when I did my initial synch to my Treo.

ALso, does anyone know if you bought an m505, which had the full-blown DTG suite installed whether DataViz will let you upgrade to a full blown version for the Treo or do they make you buy it again at full price?
    - Thas is correct as far as I know. I didn't have DocsToGo installed on my Kyocera 6035 and I do have those 2 files...as received from Sprint.

- Well, this is from DataViz website:

'See if Documents To Go came with your handheld. If so, register and take advantage of our special offers..."

When you click on the Treo 600 link it says:

"If you've already registered the Viewer Edition, buy Documents To Go Premium Edition 6.0 for $49.95"

So I sent them an e-mail asking them to please explain me where is the special offer since the regular price is $49.95. In other words, I don't think that they will let you upgrade anything on the Treo "legally". But I am still waiting for their reply. If you are "not using" the application on the Palm, could you copy the files to the Treo and then upgrade?

cash70
    Last edited by cash70; 12/05/2003 at 08:24 AM.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

FWIW:

The DTG application contains all the others. ( I have 6.0 and it does not show all icons.) Within DTG, at the very bottom of the screen, the format drop-down should contain all installed apps. Also, if you long-tap the "new" button, then release it, it will pop up a context menu of all the apps. I don't see a need for the additional icons.
    Originally posted by cash70

- Thas is correct as far as I know. I didn't have DocsToGo installed on my Kyocera 6035 and I do have those 2 files...as received from Sprint.

- Well, this is from DataViz website:

'See if Documents To Go came with your handheld. If so, register and take advantage of our special offers..."

When you click on the Treo 600 link it says:

"If you've already registered the Viewer Edition, buy Documents To Go Premium Edition 6.0 for $49.95"

So I sent them an e-mail asking them to please explain me where is the special offer since the regular price is $49.95. In other words, I don't think that they will let you upgrade anything on the Treo "legally". But I am still waiting for their reply. If you are "not using" the application on the Palm, could you copy the files to the Treo and then upgrade?

cash70
    Their reply:

"The viewer edition is not a full license of Documents To Go so there is no discount as far as an upgrade. The price for Documents To Go premium for a Treo 600 user and a regular user is the same. However if you register the viewer edition which came with you handheld you are then entitled to tech support if needed. So the benefit of registering is not a price but rather support concern, since all customer support inquiries are recorded in your registration."

I did try...

cash70

....I did do a search first and did see this post, but it is addressing a totally different problem. I am not having problems with the 5 way, I am having problems with the application coming up at all when I select it. My other question was that only DocView and SheetView were installed, and not the full DocToGo app. I did see another post from someone who was surmised this was "normal" and wanted to get verification.
    Been there done that. The program is "rigged" to only work with one email program, the one that doesn't come with the sprint version. If you look on their web site they bascially admit that.
    The full version is pretty good, but the one that comes with the 600 is basically worthless. You can't even view docs that you tranfer over via SD or hotsync.
    Upgrade or delete it and save your memory.
    I'm interested in viewing files I move to my SD card so I guess I need to upgrade to the full version ...... for now I'd just like to delete the Docs to Go lite that came on the 600 since I don't think I'm using it - unless the attachment viewing capability in Sprint Business Connect is using it? Anyone know?
    FWIW I bought Versamail (palms email software) over the weekend and sent myself a word attachment. I could use versamails built in viewer but if I selected documents it would not work.

To be fair the real program is pretty good as I have 6 on a T3 and ver 5 on another palm.

If you do buy, check out the upgrade price. I think they give you a small discount for having this fake version. And if you have an older version (like my 5) the discount is pretty good. I'll probably just use my ver 5 to upgrade but use it for my treo.

Regards,
    Fletch
    Originally posted by fletchb

Been there done that. The program is "rigged" to only work with one email program, the one that doesn't come with the sprint version. If you look on their web site they bascially admit that.
    The full version is pretty good, but the one that comes with the 600 is basically worthless. You can't even view docs that you tranfer over via SD or hotsync.
    Upgrade or delete it and save your memory.
    ok i just got DTG 6.0 and I have snappermail which i also just got. you say it is "rigged" to work with dataviz's own email solution....what about snappermail?
    Originally posted by southbound747

ok i just got DTG 6.0 and I have snappermail which i also just got. you say it is "rigged" to work with dataviz's own email solution....what about snappermail?
    No you have to upgrade to the premium version. Here is the exact wording from their site:

http://support.dataviz.com/support.s...&subcatid=1002

FWIW, I did upgrade tonight and it now works fine with versamail. It says the preium version also works with snapper mail FWIW.

I would recommend that you try the evaluation version first. I did notice a difference in the way files are viewed now on the treo vs the T3. On the T3 you have an extra option callled Zoom.
    You don't get this on the Treo, although you can change font size (at least in word). What I am saying is the screen llayout is not as nice as the T3 but it is certainly usable , at least to me. But download the eval and see for yourself.

Regards, Fletch
    thanks fletch. yes the DTG 6.0 i bought was the premium version ($49.00) and i went to the link you provided and they said it should work fine with the snappermail i bought too.
    FYI:

FRom DataViz Support:

"Does Documents To Go 6.0 support the 5way navigation on the TREO 600?
    Document ID: 13138
    Last Reviewed: 11/7/2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question:
    Does Documents To Go 6.0 support the 5way navigation on the TREO 600?

Answer:
    Currently on the TREO 600 handheld you can scroll down to view a document with the 5way naviagtion. However editing the document with the 5way is not supported currently. If you woudl like to request this fetaure please do so on our customer feedback section. Please see the link below to submit a suggestion below."

http://www.dataviz.com/eforms/feedba...lfeedback.html

Do that, but also do this:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...604be0415.html

Start emailing Danny Tu!

Recieved this morning:

We received your feedback about the fact that Documents To Go v6 does
    not support the 5-way navigation button on your Treo 600. Although I
    can assure you that Documents To Go 6 does have this support, it may not
    have the support that you have in mind (which is of course more
    important to us).

We are making an attempt at our current implementation of support for
    the 5-way and would like to hear from customers like yourself on what
    the expectations are when it comes to this support.

If you can take a minute to reply to me and let me know what those
    expectations are, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks for your feedback.

Regards,
    Danny Tu
    DataViz, Inc
    DTu@dataviz.com