1.    #1  
    Is it possible - I plug it in and music only plays through the speaker.

Do i need to buy dedicated earphones to listen to music and then answer the phone normally?
    You can hold down the answer button on the treo standard earbud to listen to MP3's through the standard earbud that comes with the phone, but it is much better to get stereo headphones.
    I listen to .mp3s with both AeroPlayer and PocketTunes through the earpiece all the time. (It's great when I'm expecting a call!) I've never experienced an issue with the external speaker playing tunes while the headset is plugged in. I've made no modifications to the base T600 Configuration.

FON
  4.    #4  
    I've tried that - you have to hold the answer button all the time else it just starts playing through the external speaker again
    Originally posted by FONMaster
    I listen to .mp3s with both AeroPlayer and PocketTunes through the earpiece all the time. (It's great when I'm expecting a call!) I've never experienced an issue with the external speaker playing tunes while the headset is plugged in. I've made no modifications to the base T600 Configuration.

FON
    If you can do this without holding down the answer button, you are probably using your old treo 180-/270/300 headset, and the microphone is actually the one on the phone. You can verify this by looking at the plug: the old ones have three black bands, and the new ones (600) have two.

If you are using your old Treo headset, you are not using the microphone on the cord, it is simply picking up your voice from the bottom of the phone.
    I bought a wee conversion plug for like 0.79p or something (don't know what that amounts to in $, but it's like next to nothing. I just listen to MP3s through normal headphones, and get a complete and utter fright everytime someone rings through. I think I need to turn the ring volume down when I am listening to MP3s, cause one day my eardrums are going to do the bursty thing - He he!
    Where did you buy it? Can you get them online?
    I got mine from a store here in the UK called Maples, in NZ (where I lived before this) I would have got it from **** Smith Electronics - they're just electronic stores that sell all sorts of cables, plugs, and other electronic stuff.

I saw the official conversion plug online - but I think it cost about $24.00USD, a bit much really.

Surely you have some sort of electronic store like that where you live?
    Your local Radio Shack should carry them. I got mine there for something like $3.99, I forget the exact price. I did have to file down the plastic stub a bit as it did not fit flush against the phone. A little work, but still worth the price.
    Truth is good, knowledge is power and it's the second mouse who gets the cheese
    I also had to file down some of the plastic
    I went to a radio shack today and all they had was a conversion plug with 3 rings. Do you know the model or item number of the one you bought? Also, I had to push hard to get it to cut off the main speaker, but I was not sure it was coming out of the headphones I tried.
    here you go
    Truth is good, knowledge is power and it's the second mouse who gets the cheese