Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Basically what the subject says. I bought a Retractable Sync and Charge cable from the Treocentral store. I've had it for probably a month. The black plastic frame on the sides of the Treo connector had broken off a little while ago. I notice that now the cable will not connect right 3 out of 4 times and causes Hard resets. I now have a 16 dollar cable that I can't use anymore. If I look at the cable that came with my Treo 600 though, the quality of it seems to be much greater. Beware to anyone who buys one.
    you mean the boxwave cable?
    ...I found it here on TreoCentral Store.

No brand name though...
    You have to appreciate that the cable is very thin because of the design. It can be damaged quite easily.
    http://pc-mobile.net
  5.    #5  
    Its not the cable which is having problems. I'd understand if that was the case. At the connector for the Treo, theres a little black plastic rim around the metal so that the pins align correctly. The sides of this plastic rim have broken off so that it can't always line up right. The Handspring cable that came with the phone has a more solid connector in that the plastic is thicker, and doesn't appear like it will ever have this problem. If someone had the connector from the Handspring cable attached to the retractable sync and charge cable, that would be perfect.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    i have the boxwave one too and it really does suck.

It wont charge unless you barely plug it in, to the point where it slips out al the time. Also it resets it every time you unplug it.

Overall it does nothing that a cable is supposed to.

I dont use it anymore
    Great! I just bought this cable with 2 attachments. I haven't tried it yet but now it sounds like I'll be having problems. Anyone out there using this cable successfully?

David
    Yep. So far, so good. I've been using it for about 1 week. No problems to report.

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    I've had this one for a couple of weeks now, and it's great. I use it every day, to charge, sync, etc. I bought it with a couple of other items, so I saved on shipping. Their car charger is quality as well.
    I'm rather rough on things, but it seems pretty tough.
    Having used a lot of these connectors, I try to make sure I push the buttons on the side to remove from the device, and gently rock it out of place. Those little metal things are thin, and break easily.

My .02
    -Treo 600 on Sprint
    I'll pass this one..not a soccer fan
    Mcnab
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    sorry to hear about all the trouble the retractable cable has caused. I was considering getting that cable because I needed a sync and charge usb cable that was more functional than the Belkin cable I bought for my T300. I don't like the Belkin because it did not have a hotsync button on it, so I would always have to hotsync thru the software which was a pain on the 300 where I have to flip it open to tap on the icon. Plus I wasn't sure if it was compatible with a T600. But before I bought a new cable, I discovered that if I plug the Belkin cable into the Handspring sync cable where the power cord would normally go, and plug both of them into my usb ports, I have a very functional sync and charge cable, with the Handspring plug going into my 600. Since it's the handspring cable that attaches to my 600, I don't have to worry about incompatibility, and I have the hotsync button capability. It's been very convenient since I don't have to carry a power plug around and look for a socket, there's less cables running from my laptop, and i didn't have to spend more money on another cable, which would apparently have been useless according to this thread. Has anyone else tried this?
    I've been using the Boxwave retractable sync/recharge cable with my 270 for months and months. No problems at all. And I keep it in a pocket of my bag that I carry around every day. Don't know if TC sells teh Boxwave version or not, but the pic looks the same.

Dan.
    I've had the Boxwave cable for more than six months now. I've been using it with my laptop and T270. As of two days ago, I'm now using it with my T600. No problems with either device. It charges and syncs without problems.
    I have the same one with the soccer ball. Works great. No problems at all. Soccer ball comes right off.
    Originally posted by Forcelite
    i have the boxwave one too and it really does suck.

It wont charge unless you barely plug it in, to the point where it slips out al the time. Also it resets it every time you unplug it.
    exactly the same symptoms with my newly arrived boxwave cable!
    so far, it's pretty impossible to use it.

the plug that goes into the t600 is just too long if compared to the handspring cable (i would say 2mm longer)
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I've had the boxwave cable for quite some time now, and it's beed great. I use it to charge on the road and also to use PDANet with my laptop. It's the best USB/pda cable I've ever used.
    Originally posted by giuppi

exactly the same symptoms with my newly arrived boxwave cable!
    so far, it's pretty impossible to use it.

the plug that goes into the t600 is just too long if compared to the handspring cable (i would say 2mm longer)

from boxwave customer service:

"[...] Your detailed description is helpful in diagnosing your problem. We have
    had a small batch of Treo 600 miniSyncs that were miswired which causes a
    hard reset as you have described. I expected that none of our customers
    would still receive one of these faulty units [...]. Please allow us to
    replace the unit for you at our cost."

So the problem wasn't due to size of the plug as I thought in a first moment, but simply to 'miswiring'.
    Anyway, I'm waiting for the new cable and I'll let you know.
    Okay, I was about to order the Boxwave minisync plus wall charger until I read this thread. So can some one here confirm whether the defects mentioned are normal or just a rare occurence found only in a few odd batches? I was going to order the minisync over the Treo Double Charger, but if there's quality problems I'ld rather go with the latter...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    i received mine about a week ago use it everyday and have no problems at all

Fred
    talking about the boxwave minisync cable, I'm still waiting for the replacement unit, that should be here this afternoon, hopefully (I told the guys at the CS that I needed the cable urgently, since I'm about to leave the States in few days, but this didn't speed up the process evidently, it's almost a week that I'm waiting by now...)

I'll test it and I'll let you know asap.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast