Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am really looking for a car kit that will allow me to slip in the t600 and instantly allow the phone to charge and me to have hands free access. i am also hopping that by slipping in the phone, i will not have to plug in any cords, but that the connectors are part of the cradle.

The HS solution looks like it will work, but I would love to hear if anyone has tested it out yet.

Thanks in advance.
    The HS solution by THB only works with the GSM phones right now. According to THB, the hardware for both the GSM and Sprint phones are the same. The issue is that Sprint will not release the CDMA compatable version of the CarKit App until April. Unless you look carefully at the HS web page, you will never know that the Car Kit won't work for Sprint yet. I bought one and installed it only to find it did not work right. THB is at a loss as to why Sprint is not willing to release the software to people that have already bought the kit. Sprint won't comment.
    Beware. For the time being, that is.

PROBLEMS:

1. The current hardware (and software) is defective. The GSM BUS in the base unit causes GSM interference feedback through the car kit speaker. It is audible at all times when connected on the Treo 600 side of the call and audible on the other end of the call, but only when the Treo is actively “speaking.”
    2. It is not possible to remove the Treo 600 from the cradle without ejecting the SD card.

Other than the above, it works very nicely and is a very good hands-free solution, though somewhat limited:

1. Audio cannot be directed to a car’s audio system, and in some car models, it is not possible, nor recommended, to install the radio mute relays.
    2. The enclosed hardware install mounting parts are not desirable in many applications, and will require “professional” installation.

GENERAL COMMENTS:

1. Speaker quality is clear and volume sufficient.
    2. Microphone picks up voice signal very well within 1-2 feet.
    3. Because of how the audio IO connects between the cradle and the Treo, one cannot “throw” the phone into the cradle as is possible on many cell phones. It would be possible to damage the audio input on the Treo if not reasonably careful in this regard. The same holds true for the antennae IO.

FIXES

The GSM feedback sounds like the weird noise you get when you put a cell phone next to a land line. I have spoken with the manufacturer (THB Bury) and the liaison between the manufacture and Handspring, who paid for this design). I must say that their concern over this is very real and they have already implemented the first steps to fix the problems mentioned above. This is what I was told:

1. A new software file (CarKitApp.prc) will be available on the Handspring Website in a few days. THB has determined that the software is the primary problem and needs to be updated.
    2. A resister in the GSM BUS in the base unit has been isolated as “possibly” contributing to the problem. They have retooled for this fix and will be shipping out replacement base units to those who have reported the problem. This week I was told. (Handspring is also aware of the problem.)

OTHER COMMENTS:

1. I have been told that the software update alone will most likely fix the GSM BUS problem. I’ll report back once the file is updated.
    2. For those of you who insist on having your Treo calls directed through your car’s audio system, you will need to wait. THB is planning on issuing modular “upgrades” that will support this. The current model will not. Other modular upgrades will also permit voice dialing, or so I was told. Frankly, I don’t believe it. The point is that the car kit is in its salad days.
    3. Both Handspring and THB have a very serious investment in this car kit and had planned to sell “tens of thousands” of units very quickly. When I worked on this problem with them, they were in fact rather horrified and set to work on it right away.
    Last edited by elysian9; 12/01/2003 at 03:44 PM.
    I have the kit and a gsm phone but having trouble with the install.

the usa site for THB offers a custom wire harness for my car but I seem unable to reach them or find a local dealer/installer.

more importantly, they ship only a flat disk for mounting it and ot can't be angled to face me. the swivel ball mounts on the thb site would work, but again, I can never reach them by phone or email.

also, what is the best position and location for the antenna?

any ideas for mounting and connecting all?

thanks!
    elysian9

Do you know when they are suppose to get the software update for the carkit?

I spoke to the support last thursday and they did not know, i was thinking you might have other info??

I have lot's of echo when using my gsm carkit.

Thank you

Marc-André
    Originally posted by prospects
    elysian9

Do you know when they are suppose to get the software update for the carkit?

I spoke to the support last thursday and they did not know, i was thinking you might have other info??

I have lot's of echo when using my gsm carkit.

Thank you

Marc-André
    I have spoken again to the US THB Bury rep and he has again assured me that they are all over this. I asked him about the prc update and he said that they've had 3-way phone conversations between THB Germany, THB US, and Handspring late last week on the problem. As soon as I have information beyond that I will post it.

If you have specific technical questions, post it in this thread and I'll ask next time I speak to THB. Think I'll give him a blast tomorrow (Tuesday).

(My specific problem is not echo, but rather what is called GSM BUS Interference (rhythmic buzz). Possibly, the echo is related and may be a carrier/regional thing, who knows.)

UPDATE: The prc file download page has changed.. It now lists the prc file as carrier-specific. I have not tried any of them yet.

http://support.handspring.com/esupport/html/carkit.jsp
    Last edited by elysian9; 12/08/2003 at 08:09 PM.
    2 questions about the car kit:

1: is it poss. to connect it to the car audio's mute function i.e. will it pause the car audio when a call comes in?

2: does it auto answer?

thanks!!
    1: is it poss. to connect it to the car audio's mute function i.e. will it pause the car audio when a call comes in?

Yes.

2: does it auto answer?

No.
    elysian9,

thanks for your very informative posts on this topic. i was ready to order the car kit, but will hold off, and follow this thread for a while instead. i don't have the patience you are exhibiting with this situation...sounds like they launched the car kit in half baked, piecemeal, untested form...

hrb
    Does anybody what the CarKitUpdaterApp.prc actually does? I'm using the Treo with a cassette adapter in my car which basically does the trick for me. The only thing I'm missing is an automatic mute of the car stereo for incoming calls, and I'm wondering if this app will be of any help for this.

Any other features that this app provides or does it only provide background services to interface with the kit?
    Originally posted by Mol
    Does anybody what the CarKitUpdaterApp.prc actually does?

Where did you see the CarKitUpdaterApp.prc? I can't find it. HS only shows CarKitApp.prc.
    Originally posted by elysian9

Where did you see the CarKitUpdaterApp.prc? I can't find it. HS only shows CarKitApp.prc.
    I downloaded the Orange version. I just went back to the HS site and noticed that all the other carrier versions are indeed called CarKitApp.prc.
    Hi - I bought and have been using the HS car kit for Treo 600 for a while now, and highly recommend anyone who has one to upgrade the base unit (keep the cradle - you can't buy another one without purchasing a full kit again!!) to a THB Cartalk DSP - this massively improves performance, gets rid of echo/gsm interference etc.. - and sounds even better than my Nokia kit use to. Please see below for the final e-mail I sent THB in Germany after I had upgraded the Trendtalk baseunit (which is the one Handspring ship with the kit) to theirh CarTalk DSP baseunit:

---------------------------------
    Hi Dean/Axel - just to let you know I 'upgraded' my THB/Handspring Treo 600 car kit last week by removing the Trendtalk base unit, and replacing it with a 'THB Cartalk DSP' (but keepting the original Treo 600 cradle/mic/wiring/aerial). This has solved all my problems - I now get the sound via my car stereo. There is also now no echo for the caller (they could with the trendtalk hear themselves talk really badly) - maybe due to the 'DSP in the Cartalk, and no 'gsm feedback' any more - and the sound quality for both the caller and myself is considerably better - better than the previous Nokia car kit I had now!

It is a shame I had to go to this effort/expense to get a workable solution for the Treo 600 - Handspring only have 1 authorised reseller of the Trendtalk kit (with the all important cradle) in Europe (www.treostore.com) - they charge 249 Euro + shipping (15 Euro), and then having to go to Codewing in the UK to buy a Cartalk DSP unit (another £80 (115 Euro) = total of 379 Euro + any fitting charges!! This is double the cost of eg. a Nokia car kit (or most other OEM kits available on the internet). I think you need to approach Handspring to try and resolve this so that Treo 600 owners can purchase a satisfactory car kit in one package at not at such a huge expense (as THB car kits are usually a very reasonable price from direct THB dealers), as you will both loose out in the long-term once other Treo 600 users hear the Trendtalk solution works very badly with the Treo 600, and the associated costs in getting a workable solution (in Europe at least). I have already seen in some ‘chat forums’ about Treo 600 that people are complaining about the Trendtalk solution and advising other people not to purchase one – this is not good news for you I assume! (take a look at http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...t=car+kit.html or http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...g&pagenumber=2).

I hope my comments help and something can be done.

Hamish
    ---------------------------------
    I just made my own car kit for my SPRINT T600 and it works GREAT! I used a casette adaptor and 2.5mm headset-to-stereo headphone adaptor (Radio Shack, $25.00 for both), and a clamp-in type general purpose car cell phone holder that I already had. I glued the audio plug and car power adaptor into the cell phone holder (alternative would be to buy a cradle for the T600 and hack it up, $10.00 plus shipping from eBay), so I just slip my T600 into it and it gets power and connects the audio through the casette adapter. I now have audio over my cars 6 speaker stereo, and the T600's built in mic functions extremely well on it's own.

I, too was disappointed with what I found out there for sale. My solution works (IMO) flawlessly, and cost me a grand total of $30.00 (including tax and glue ).
    Cool. How does it get power from the cassette though? How do u connect power into the plug at the bottom of the treo - theheadset??? I would have thought u needed a plug that goes into the stf power/sync port bottom center...
    I have an automobile adapter (power) that I fused into the base piece of the holder that I made. So I still have to plug it into the cigarette lighter socket if I want to have power. I was thinking of hard-wiring it in, but I didn's so I could use it back and forth between my two cars.
    Has anyone finally resolved the echo & feedback with the THB Car Kit?
    Obviously I've downloaded the CarKit prc, but do I need to downloan the CarKit Updater prc to fix this issue?
    It seems to be available for Orange GSM, but I use Optus GSM in Australia.
    Will the Updater prc fix this problem?
    The feedback is significant, pretty much ruining any chance of a clear conversation.
    Current Gadgets:- Treo 600, Tungsten W, IPAQ 2210
    THB sent me the update for the car kit. It appears to solve the problem. I'll have to repost in the morning, as the file is on my work pc and I'm not at work at the moment.
    Does someone want to bump this thread after my post or PM me so I don't forget?
    If I forget to post it, there will be a 2 week delay, I'm headed to Orlando on vacation.
    MovieGene, was that a piece of new hardware they've sent you, or was it just an updated .prc file?
    I wonder how long it would take them to send out new hardware to Australia!
    Current Gadgets:- Treo 600, Tungsten W, IPAQ 2210
    Originally posted by MovieGene
    THB sent me the update for the car kit. It appears to solve the problem. I'll have to repost in the morning, as the file is on my work pc and I'm not at work at the moment.
    Does someone want to bump this thread after my post or PM me so I don't forget?
    If I forget to post it, there will be a 2 week delay, I'm headed to Orlando on vacation.
    BUMP!!
    --
    Manfred
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast