Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    now that this has been figured out how to do it on a mac and linux, we gotta figure it out for windows. most people use windows, so i'm sure it will be greatly appreciated when its figured out.

i myself use windows xp pro and i would buy either pdanet or wireless modem but to be honest, i would only use it on rare occasions when i'm traveling or when my internet at home is down. so to me, personally, its not worth 35 bucks... but it is a very cool thing to have in case you need it so it's quite worth while to me and i'm sure alot of other people to try and figure out how we can do this for free, and the new "TETHERED" mode might make this possible

from what i've read it seems that linux and OSX have a built in driver that translates the USB to Serial and that way it can talk to the Treo 600 in tethered mode. why cant windows users download a generic USB to Serial driver and get it to work in a similar way as the OSX/linux users? then we just have to figure out a way to use that connection as a modem and dial #777 to it.

i found this link:
    http://list.driverguide.com/list/company164/
    (btw the username is: driver password: all for the above link when you try to download)

there you'll find a belkin USB Serial driver. i dont know if it will work, but i'm looking into it. i think theres gotta be a generic driver out there somewhere that will do the same thing these programs do for windows. then we just need to figure out how to interface that with network connections.

i have been playing around with it for most of the day trying to get it to work. i have windows xp pro. also i notice that when turning the treo 600 into tethered mode winxp makes a CONNECT noise, similar to when you connect a digital camera or something like that. this means to me that windows has made a proper connection to the device.... now we just have to figure out how to get that to work as a modem.

anyone have any ideas? lets get crackin on this
    I agree. I've got the serial cable, and I feel confident that I should be able to use my treo as a modem with no additional software.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    PDANet already does this.

Maybe you could look into the code to get ideas
    can you read?
    Originally posted by petesamprs
    can you read?
    Guess not...

Also, when you hit the Sync, it does make the "connect" sound as well, perhaps the drivers are already there somwhere buried in the HotSync app?
    Haven't tried these myself yet, but a quick search shows some software for USB -> Serial drivers if you only have the USB cable for the Treo600. No idea if these would work, but it may be worth checking out.

USB Serial Adapter Cab (software downloads):
    http://www.usbgear.com/downloads.html

USB-to-Serial converter:
    http://www.floridaprobe.com/usb_install.htm

Use at your own risk of course, I haven't tried these but if someone does I would be curious to see how they make out.

I can get the phone connected in Linux just fine, but the connection dies out after 1-2 minutes. If anyone has things working in Linux good please reply or PM me, I'm curious what your configuration looks like, what baud rate you set your modem to, etc.
    I asked this in the other thread, but don't think I got a straight answer. Does the Treo 600 have an IR port? If so, can't you just point it at the IR port on a laptop, and set the laptop up to dial through the Treo??

I do this with my SE T616 with AT&T and it works great. Just set up the PC to dial *99* and I'm good to go.
    Originally posted by vortix
    I asked this in the other thread, but don't think I got a straight answer. Does the Treo 600 have an IR port? If so, can't you just point it at the IR port on a laptop, and set the laptop up to dial through the Treo??

I do this with my SE T616 with AT&T and it works great. Just set up the PC to dial *99* and I'm good to go.
    Unfortunately, its not that easy. You need the Treo to relay the connection through the IR port, and that is currently only possible through programs like WirelessModem or PDANet for the Treo. The built-in tethered mode does not appear to relay this connection though any port other then the host one, and nobody has found a way to get it to route through the IR port yet.
    PhoneNews.com - Complete Wireless Industry Coverage
    ChristopherPrice.net
    Originally posted by treonyc
    I can get the phone connected in Linux just fine, but the connection dies out after 1-2 minutes. If anyone has things working in Linux good please reply or PM me, I'm curious what your configuration looks like, what baud rate you set your modem to, etc.
    I believe the 1-2 minute deal is a carrier thing. I used sprint with pdanet and my treo 300 for a long time before I got the 600 and I would have to have it pinging yahoo continuously to stay connected. As long as you are active I believe the connection will stay alive.

But I like the concept, free internet over the treo 600 would be great for all windows users.
    You can do this with a mac? I have 10.3 and have used wireless modem with my boxwave minisync usb cable, but WM costs money and its another step to open both apps on the palm and the computer. Is there a free way to use the Treo 600 as a wireless modem where all I have to do is setup the PPP config and select the device and modem script, then hit connect?
    All noobs click here
    Originally posted by brain007
    would have to have it pinging yahoo continuously to stay connected. As long as you are active I believe the connection will stay alive.
    Ditto with a sprint pcmcia card. It was the only way to keep it connected. Those pings sure do add to the bytes, for those who are limited.
    -Treo 600 on Sprint
    Originally posted by hatoncat

Unfortunately, its not that easy. You need the Treo to relay the connection through the IR port, and that is currently only possible through programs like WirelessModem or PDANet for the Treo. The built-in tethered mode does not appear to relay this connection though any port other then the host one, and nobody has found a way to get it to route through the IR port yet.
    Wow that sucks! Pretty much any cell phone with an IR port can act as a modem (even sh*tty Nokias), so I'm surprised the Treo 600 can't do it out of the box!!

Maybe I should just sell the Treo, keep my T616 and get a nice Clie with a bluetooth memory stick or something?!
    Let's try to keep this thread on track.

Anyone have any luck with the three USB->Serial drivers mentioned?

I, unfortunately, can't test this on my daytime machine.

Cheers,
    Jeff
    We have WirelessModem on the Mac. I know it works cause I use it all the time.

We have PDANet on the PC. From what I have read here, this works as well. As I read it's discription it is PC only.

If I am right on the above 2 counts, I do not understand why so much energy is being spent on this thread. Is it to save 30 bucks ? Or is it just because you resent having to pay for something you think should have come with the phone or otherwise be free.

What is your time worth. If it's worth more than 30 bucks an hour, then it's certainly more cost effective for you to reward someone else for their effort and spring for the commercial solution. In so doing we all get the added benefit of encouraging the independant software developers who depend on ours support to keep churning out the cool 3rd party stuff we all love.

This is not a flame... Just an observation.
    Here is the concept...

"Why would you want to pay $30 for something you know you could get for free?"

Simple, eh?

I could see why we had to pay for PDA Net and Wireless Modem before-- These developers spent time decoding API calls, and low level software and firmware calls to enable a "tethered" mode on the Treo300. However Handspring (nee Pa1mOne) saw fit to add the ##TETHERED mode in the 600. If all we need is a way to do serial thru USB, then wouldn't you do it?

Do you pay $25 for AOL, or $9.95 for Netzero, if they give you the same internet?

Same concept.

I use Linux 'cause its free, and does everything I did in Windoze that I paid $100+ a pop for.

Why pay money when there is an equal FREE alternative? So what if you gotta get your hands dirty....
    ...This ain't a phone or a PDA, It's a way of life!
    for all your multimedia needs, it's gotta be Starrwulfe Ltd!
    Here is the concept...

"Why would you want to pay $30 for something you know you could get for free?"
    Because the time you are spending trying to get it for free is actually costing you far more than $30. Time is money.

I am a programmer and programmers often use other programmer's code libraries or plug-ins to achieve certain goals. Some times you can get it free, but often it comes at a nominal charge. In most cases I can write the code myself but I understand that it is far more cost effective for me to pay the price, rather then spend the time necessary to write it myself.

Same concept here. Now, that being said, I am an old fart, so perhaps this is not conceptually valid for those in younger age groups who's time may not yet be an issue for them.
    Originally posted by johnbdh
    snip...

Same concept here. Now, that being said, I am an old fart, so perhaps this is not conceptually valid for those in younger age groups who's time may not yet be an issue for them.
    Im more of a young poot, so I guess I do fall in that bracket! I do get your point though. Sometimes the opposite of what is happening here happens as well. For example Chatter started out as a hobby for mblank, but as time and effort snowballed, he decided to charge a nominal fee on the final product. His original intent was a free product.

We here are just exploring the possiblities of finding something that may already be in the public domain for Windows. I already use the tethered mode in Linux, and I did use PDAnet before on my 300.
    ...This ain't a phone or a PDA, It's a way of life!
    for all your multimedia needs, it's gotta be Starrwulfe Ltd!
    Well, I've got a serial cable and I haven't gotten it to work yet. I can talk to the modem with AT commands and that works fine.

Why would I want to do this when I'm already a licensed user of WirelessModem? In a word, Throughput.
    well..... I've been following this thread closely and felt like replying now.. i'm hoping that someone can either a. figure out a way to get wireless modem to work for pc...

or b. get pdanet to work for mac...

I'm a cross platform user.... and used the demo version of wirless modem.. and have a desire to buy it.. but I use a pc as well.. and i'd like to have one app that I can use for both OS's.

Yes, i realize most of the time u have to buy two seperate devices for each OS cause thats how the world works... but why should it? if all we need is the right driver to make wireless modem work for the pc as well.. then by god! someone should make it.. that way I don't have to take up precious ram in my device to have both modem apps installed... not to mention.. yeah.. it be nice buying just one app! it's rare.. but some manufactures actually provide both a pc & mac version of their software when u purchase it... and if it's possible then there should be one app that works as a modem for both OS's as well....

as well as linux.. which I don't use.. but yes... should be included in this one modem app. I'll pay for the functionality.. but if all the bases can be covered.. then why aren't they?

d.r.g.
    WirelessModem works for a PC today. I use it regularly.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast