Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    it seems as though when you connect your treo to the pc, it uses handsprings driver which is the one it uses to sync with palm desktop. i wonder if we uninstall that driver just for testing and try to re-connect the treo and then use a different driver, one of the USB to Serial drivers if that would work. we have to try to get it to function as a modem too so that it will be an option in the network connections control panel

anyone else try any drivers yet?
    Originally posted by WFTarHeel
    WirelessModem works for a PC today. I use it regularly.
    yes.. ure right.... but only if that pc has an ir port or a serial cable.... so I gotta buy more hardware if it doesn't come built into the machine.. usb is UNIVERSAL... so why not develop a USB driver for the PC?

d.r.g.
    Originally posted by wahooka
    it seems as though when you connect your treo to the pc, it uses handsprings driver which is the one it uses to sync with palm desktop. i wonder if we uninstall that driver just for testing and try to re-connect the treo and then use a different driver, one of the USB to Serial drivers if that would work. we have to try to get it to function as a modem too so that it will be an option in the network connections control panel
    The Palm Desktop software should not be an issue. When the Treo is in Tethered Mode it no longer acts as the same USB device (in the view of the PC). Basically, Palm Desktop doesn't know or interfere with the operation of the Treo while in Tethered Mode...
    PhoneNews.com - Complete Wireless Industry Coverage
    ChristopherPrice.net
    Originally posted by hatoncat

The Palm Desktop software should not be an issue. When the Treo is in Tethered Mode it no longer acts as the same USB device (in the view of the PC). Basically, Palm Desktop doesn't know or interfere with the operation of the Treo while in Tethered Mode...
    I'm lost. On my XP machine, I disable HotSynch, then plug in the Treo. Nothing in Device Manager. Then I dial *#TETHERED (I have a GSM), XP says 'ping' and I see a Handspring Treo under Palm OS Handheld Devices in Device Manager.

Now how am I'm going to tell XP this is actually a modem?
    for cdma does the software on the following page do anything
    i have the samsung i330 and the treo 600 (can't have camera at work) i use the software to connect to net via i330 but haven't tried with treo yet

ps software is sprint only sorry...

link: http://205.137.195.84/servlet/Selectpage
    Has anyone tried this to see if it works?

http://205.137.195.84/servlet/Selectpage

The PCS Connection Manager Software for USB cables. Select that one.

It works on the other sprint phones. Maybe it'll work on the Treo 600.
    "USB is universal..."

Who told you that, Bill Gates
    OK, I can see that there is some confusion on how tethered data works.

1st it does NOT relay data through the phone to the USB cable. Two totoally different protocols run on each.

when you dial #777 on the phone, the phone establishes a PPP connection between the phone and computer ONLY!

The connection on the wireless side is NOT PPP. (on a vision phone anyway)

Why do they do that?

So the phone can disconnect from the network when not in use. But the PPP connection between the phone and your PC stays alive.

So, the wireless side can "timeout" and disconnect leaving the PPP up. When you request data the next time the wireless link will re-establish itself. Your IP address is not lost, just the wireless link. The process can go either direction. So if you have an incomming TCP/UDP packet, it will do the same.

If it works in Linux, one should find the USB chipset support linux is using, and find the similar driver for XP.
    Last edited by SiGGy; 01/07/2004 at 10:46 AM.
    Originally posted by eddietreo
    Has anyone tried this to see if it works?

http://205.137.195.84/servlet/Selectpage

The PCS Connection Manager Software for USB cables. Select that one.

It works on the other sprint phones. Maybe it'll work on the Treo 600.
    I used that software with my Sanyo 4900. I tried it with the Treo, says Phone Not Connected... (Assuming we're talking about the same app: Mine is PCS Connection Manager version 1.00.040.

I ended up buying PDANet and it worked perfectly first time. Still, I wouldn't mind to have what should be a free solution.
    Okay, I know this is an ancient thread, but has anyone recently tried to put the 650 in tethered mode to get it to work as a modem? Some times, I would just like to do this via cable instead of BT DUN to save the battery!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12