1.    #1  
    I posted this in a thread on the Treo 600 board, but that thread was filled with a lot of unfriendliness and junk so I thought I'd report my results here too (where they belonged in the first place).

I use my Treo 600 with Linux, and I'm not using any third-party software for Tethered mode (just the USB serial drivers that come with the Linux kernel).

Here's how you can use your Treo 600 as an external modem for a Linux box, assuming you already have figured out how to sync using the Linux USB device drivers. Depending on your service provider and terms of service, this may or may not incur extra charges.

Connect the Treo to the Linux box using the USB cable, then dial ##TETHERED on the Treo (##83843733). The Treo screen should say "Tethered mode on". If it flashes that screen and then back to the dialer, you may need to soft-reset first. I'm not 100% sure what the required state is to get Tethered mode to work, but soft-reset before dialing ##TETHERED definitely is sufficient.

Voila. Whatever port you use on the Linux box to sync with the Treo is now a modem (unless you have other USB serial devices, it's /dev/ttyUSB1 or /dev/usb/tts/1).

You can connect directly to it with a serial-port communication program like Minicom, or set up a network connection using pppd to your Treo network service provider. The number to dial for Sprint PCS Vision is #777. ATDT#777 issued to the modem will get you a CONNECT message followed by PPP connection packets.

BTW, I've read reports that the Treo's modem does not support fax sending or receiving. Here's what the modem says:

at+FCLASS=?

This means that the modem CLAIMS to support Class 2 fax operation. After some experiments, I found this to be partially true.

Receiving faxes is right out, because even in tethered mode, the phone rings through to the voice-call handler and there's no RING indicator issued by the Treo modem. I may be wrong but it looks like the modem is only capable of initiating outgoing connections.

However, sending faxes shows some promise. Using the "sendfax" program on Linux, I was able to use the Treo in tethered mode along with the claimed Class 2.0 fax support to connect to a fax machine and start sending a G3 fax page. The fax transmission crapped out, with sendfax reporting:

Transmission error: +FHNG:43 (DTE to DCE data underflow)

that looks like something that could be fixed up with the proper init strings sent to the modem and/or options to sendfax, so I'll probably fool with it some more to see if I can get fax sending to work.

BTW, I tried assigning ##TETHERED to a speed dial Favorite and it didn't work (dialing it gets a Sprint error message). It appears the ## codes must be entered directly into the dialer in the Phone app. Anybody know a way around this?
    Have you been able to use this to get a PPP connection with Vision?

I have a GSM 600, and when I try to get a GPRS connection with this (or WirelessModem), it works for a few minutes and then craps out. I've been told the same thing happens on the 300 and Sprint 600.

It appears to be a Linux USB driver issue, I think. Have you had any luck with reliable connections through the Treo in Linux?

PDANet in Windows works fine for me, but I'd much rather be able to do this in Linux
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
    What do you dial to get a GPRS PPP connection started? Does the carrier matter? I'm particularly interested in T-Mobile, since that's what I use, but others reading this thread might be interested if it's different for different carriers. I searched the forums but can't find anything -- perhaps I"m looking up the wrong words?
    *99***1# on T-Mobile
    I posted this in a thread on the Treo 600 board, but that thread was filled with a lot of unfriendliness and junk so I thought I'd report my results here too (where they belonged in the first place).
    DAMNED! You leave for the weekend and you miss all the fun!

Anyway, I would be very interested if anyone could get Fax send to work. When I previoulsy contacted Mark Space about compatibility of their fax software with the Treo600, they said no. But if this info is true, there might be hope yet!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    metsfan, how exactly did you get this to work on your GSM T600? I tried that code, and it sent a response to the network, but then nothing seemed to happen...
    Originally posted by Eteq
    metsfan, how exactly did you get this to work on your GSM T600? I tried that code, and it sent a response to the network, but then nothing seemed to happen...
    On the GSM ones, you have to replace the second # with a *

#*TETHERED
    I have the AT&T GSM version of the Tred 600. Using the info I found here I can get the phone into 'Tethered' mode, but I can't then see it as a modem or other device from Mac OS 10.3.2. Anybody got any ideas on what I did wrong, or what I need to do next?

Wayne