Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have created detailed instructions for using the Treo 600 as a modem on Mac, without having to purchase WirelessModem. You can access the instructions directly at the link below:

[link has been removed at the request of WirelessModem's author]
    PhoneNews.com - Complete Wireless Industry Coverage
    ChristopherPrice.net
    I'm having two difficulties in setting up my Treo wireless modem to use an ibook running 10.2.8 in the UK on Orange GPRS.

1. Whatever I do, I cannot persuade network preferences to offer me "wireless modem" in "show network port configurations": restarting the machine etc has been unsuccessful, whether I wish to pay for wireless modem or not.

2. The instructions given on this newsgroup for enabling the treo to use ##TETHERED (##83843733) mode are completely unsuccessful on my handset: is this just for use with Sprint?

I'd be grateful for anyone's advice.
    Luke Devey
    From what I've read about the UK models, the codes start with #*, not ## as in the US.

So try #*tethered...
    and a windows version???
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by Woof
    and a windows version???
    As the guide concludes, a Windows setup cannot be done currently, because nobody has found a Serial-port driver for USB that will allow for a modem profile to be created. OS X's Linux underpinnings make this easy, but bridging Serial and USB on Windows is much more difficult, and may only be possible with help from Handspring. I don't know, I'm not a driver coder
    ChristopherPrice.net
    Is there no IR port on the Treo 600???
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by vortix
    Is there no IR port on the Treo 600???
    IR may work, but the problem is that I don't think Tethered Mode acquires the IR port, only the cable. But my laptop doesn't even have IR, so it's worth a shot...
    ChristopherPrice.net
    post deleted
    Last edited by devey; 11/30/2003 at 09:15 AM.
    Originally posted by hatoncat

As the guide concludes, a Windows setup cannot be done currently, because nobody has found a Serial-port driver for USB that will allow for a modem profile to be created. OS X's Linux underpinnings make this easy, but bridging Serial and USB on Windows is much more difficult, and may only be possible with help from Handspring. I don't know, I'm not a driver coder
    I thought OS X used FreeBSD? But, regardless, has anybody gotten this to work with linux yet?
    Ok, I tried it and got it to work but just like using WirelessModem on the 600 it never works 2 times in a row. I always need to stop the tethered connection and start it again. Also I only seem to be able to get it to work if I just go straight to dialing the mac without checking Network Preferences first. If it fails I stop the tethered mode and start it again and it seems to work.

Couple of questions. Is this method exactly the same thing that WirelessModem does? I can assume then that other than cost, it has no advantage over using WirelessModem?

If so then I would propose that WirelessModem is well worth the modest cost considering....

1. I was not able to use either a favorite or an entry in my contacts to dial the ## number. It would dial it like a regular number and I got a recording. Maybe there is a trick to making it work from a favorite button or as a contact. Otherwise it is a pain to type in that number and besides I will never remember it. Much easier to use a favorite button assigned to WirelessMode then select yes to connect.

2. When I stop tethered mode wireless mode is turned completely off and you must reconnect to Sprint by holding the button next to the antenna down. With WirelessModem you just select No to disconnect, you are left connected to Sprint and you can just go on with your business.

3. WirelessModem on the 600 does provide some feedback that you are sending packets back and forth. No big deal but I find it comforting to see that when things get unusually slow during a wireless session.

My 2 worth. It's nice to know how to do it without WirelessModem, but I would still recommend springing the bucks just for the convenience of it.

John
    I have created detailed instructions for using the Treo 600 as a modem on Mac, without having to purchase WirelessModem. You can access the instructions directly at the link below:

http://www.sprintpcsinfo.com/modules...howpage&pid=41
    Due to this post, the Mac version of WirelessModem has temporarily been removed from my site. These instructions tell you how to use the WirelessModem driver (which is part of the package), but without paying for it. This is software piracy and should not be tolerated. If anyone is annoyed that the software is no longer available, please thank hatoncat for this.

The WirelessModem driver has taken months to develop and it is one part of the package. Without the driver, the instructions due nothing. If someone writes a free driver, that's a different story, but my driver isn't free.
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by sgruby

Due to this post, the Mac version of WirelessModem has temporarily been removed from my site. These instructions tell you how to use the WirelessModem driver (which is part of the package), but without paying for it. This is software piracy and should not be tolerated. If anyone is annoyed that the software is no longer available, please thank hatoncat for this.

The WirelessModem driver has taken months to develop and it is one part of the package. Without the driver, the instructions due nothing. If someone writes a free driver, that's a different story, but my driver isn't free.
    You know, you could contact someone before accusing them of knowingly committing a crime. Your product, as I saw it, was charging for the Treo-end of the driver, as that was where the program asked for payment.

The Mac-end of the driver could be used without the Treo end, and the Mac-end is freely available on your site (or it was). That is not my fault...
    ChristopherPrice.net
    Due to this post, the Mac version of WirelessModem has temporarily been removed from my site.
    I hope the operative word here is "temporarily". Please do not abandon those of us who paid for WirelessModem.

Hope you can put some kind of lock on your driver.

FWIW I hope you guys take your disagreement off line. I think you both are at fault. SGruby probably should have thought out the licensing issues with the driver more thouroughly and Hatoncat should have realized he was walking on the edge here and consulted with Mr. Gruby before posting his message.

John
    Originally posted by johnbdh

I hope the operative word here is "temporarily". Please do not abandon those of us who paid for WirelessModem.

Hope you can put some kind of lock on your driver.

FWIW I hope you guys take your disagreement off line. I think you both are at fault. SGruby probably should have thought out the licensing issues with the driver more thouroughly and Hatoncat should have realized he was walking on the edge here and consulted with Mr. Gruby before posting his message.

John
    Wait a second hear. Did you read the license agreement? My driver is part of the software and has a 21 day demo period after which it must be purchased.

You know, you could contact someone before accusing them of knowingly committing a crime. Your product, as I saw it, was charging for the Treo-end of the driver, as that was where the program asked for payment.

The Mac-end of the driver could be used without the Treo end, and the Mac-end is freely available on your site (or it was). That is not my fault...
    It doesn't matter if the Mac driver can be used without the Treo side. The software license agreement outlines that the software is a demo and never says that the Mac driver is free.

Hatoncat never contacted me and never seemed to have read the license agreement. I am contacting my attorney to resolve this matter.
  16.    #16  
    Originally posted by sgruby

It doesn't matter if the Mac driver can be used without the Treo side. The software license agreement outlines that the software is a demo and never says that the Mac driver is free.

Hatoncat never contacted me and never seemed to have read the license agreement. I am contacting my attorney to resolve this matter.
    I have read the help.htm file included in the disk image (I assume that is the license agreement you are referring to). It says that the program that has a 21-day timout on it cannot be used after 21 days. That is in reference to the Palm application, not the driver.

I see no reference in the license agreement that says that the driver is included in the purchase.
    ChristopherPrice.net
  17. AJB
    OS X's Linux underpinnings make this easy, ...
    That would be Unix underpinnings - specifically BSD, and even more specifically FreeBSD.

The difference may not be significant to many, but pedigree is important to pedants :-)

Best solution for Windows users. Buy a Mac, and solve your virus & security problems at the same time.

Escape the Borg. Resistance is NOT futile.
    Q: How do you make God laugh?
    A: Tell Him your plans :-)
    thanks for the laugh

your attorney... LOL
  19.    #19  
    Originally posted by AJB

That would be Unix underpinnings - specifically BSD, and even more specifically FreeBSD.

The difference may not be significant to many, but pedigree is important to pedants :-)

Best solution for Windows users. Buy a Mac, and solve your virus & security problems at the same time.

Escape the Borg. Resistance is NOT futile.
    Yes, and FreeBSD is what Darwin is based on. In other words, long live the Mac
    ChristopherPrice.net

I have read the help.htm file included in the disk image (I assume that is the license agreement you are referring to). It says that the program that has a 21-day timout on it cannot be used after 21 days. That is in reference to the Palm application, not the driver.

I see no reference in the license agreement that says that the driver is included in the purchase.
    Hatoncat,

Are you an attorney? WirelessModem consists of a Treo application and the driver. It does not say anything in the license agreement about Mac vs. Treo pieces.

I realize that you're trying to provide a service to the community, but suggest you take down your pages. My attorney has been contacted about this matter. While the license agreement may be open to interpretation, what you are doing is promoting people from not paying me for my hard work. The Mac driver didn't create itself and was designed to work with the Treo component.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast