1.    #1  
    Hey, I saw SanDisk Ultra II 256MB for $75, which advertises 10 / 9 MB transfer rates. I also saw a Panasonic 256MB for $35, which also advertised 10MB transfer rates. Price aside, is there any difference between the two - which do you recommend? Why is the SanDisk so much more expensive? Is the Panasonic (as) good?
    Thanks!!

--
    TerribleMovies.Com
    Just wondering, where did you see the cards at those prices?
    Check out this thread.

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by cash70
    Check out this thread.

cash70
    Thanks for the link. But, they only talk about the regular SanDisk. I guess the SanDisk has not the best reputation. But I'm wondering why the Panasonic is so cheap....It seems a bit strange no? Or maybe it's luck?
    Using a Panasonic 512. Blazing fast in almost every way. A BackUpMan Set of about 17MBs (251 files) writes in about 3 minutes.

I barely notice a lag when apps are reading DBs from card. Excellent compatibility. No problems so far.

[UPDATE]

Write speeds:

Pansonic 512: BackUpMan Set 17MBs in 3:45
    SanDisk UltraII 256: BackUpMan Set 17MBs in 1:05

Read speeds seem about the same.

In terms of write speed, I don't think there is a faster card than the SD Ultra II. Is it necessary? No.
    Last edited by elysian9; 11/29/2003 at 09:33 AM.
    Where did you see the 256mb panasonic for $35?
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Originally posted by elysian9
    Using a Panasonic 512. Blazing fast in almost every way. A BackUpMan Set of about 17MBs (251 files) writes in about 3 minutes.

I barely notice a lag when apps are reading DBs from card. Excellent compatibility. No problems so far.

[UPDATE]

Write speeds:

Pansonic 512: BackUpMan Set 17MBs in 3:45
    SanDisk UltraII 256: BackUpMan Set 17MBs in 1:05

Read speeds seem about the same.

In terms of write speed, I don't think there is a faster card than the SD Ultra II. Is it necessary? No.
    What's interesting is that Panasonic Write speed is supposed to be 10MB/sec as opposed to the Ultra II's 9MB/sec.

elysian9 - Is it possible for you to please run some VFS Mark benchmarks on both your cards, when you have time? I'd be interested in seeing their scores. I have been into Panasonic for the past year or so, but if the Ultra II's are that fast, I might wanna try them out.

Here is the link to VFS Mark:

http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...A&prodID=34400

thanks!
  8.    #8  
    Sorry for the delay! Actually I saw them on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ory=50525&rd=1

Just do a search for like 'panasonic sd 256' or whatever, and it should come up. I just bought the Sandisk Ultra II for $71 with a $15 rebate somewhere...oh ok at compuplus.com. Of course don't forget the shipping, where they make their money...So it basically balances out to like $71. It beat any eBay prices I found.

I got the SanDisk cause I would be using it for MP3s, if I were in fact to have any. Even if I pay a bit more, if it decreases the chances of skips or what have you even by 1%, I for me it's worth it. That being said, if I really need more room, I can just give that card to my mother as a present for the digital camera I just bought her, and get myself another. See, goodwill PLUS a faster SD card all in one!
    <a href="http://www.terriblemovies.com">TerribleMovies.Com</a>
    Originally posted by glenng

What's interesting is that Panasonic Write speed is supposed to be 10MB/sec as opposed to the Ultra II's 9MB/sec.

elysian9 - Is it possible for you to please run some VFS Mark benchmarks on both your cards, when you have time?

1. VFSMark Results Panasonic 512

File Create: 175%
    File Delete: 232%
    File Write: 76%
    File Read: 154%
    File Seek: 357%
    DB Export: 44%
    DB Import: 359%
    Record Access: 294%
    Resource Access: 286%

VFSMark: 219

2. VFSMark Results SanDisk Ultra II 256

File Create: 429%
    File Delete: 264%
    File Write: 106%
    File Read: 169%
    File Seek: 380%
    DB Export: 143%
    DB Import: 381%
    Record Access: 312%
    Resource Access: 312%

VFSMark: 277
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    elysian9-

very kind of you to post results so quickly. Thank You! 219 is about what i get with my Panasonic 256MB. It looks like the UltraII's are clearly the quickest. Funny thing is, as the cards get bigger, they are supposed to be quicker. For instance, my Panasonic 256 is faster than my 128. Looks like I will try to find a 512 Ultra II.

Thanks again for help!
    Originally posted by glenng
    elysian9-

very kind of you to post results so quickly. Thank You! 219 is about what i get with my Panasonic 256MB. It looks like the UltraII's are clearly the quickest. Funny thing is, as the cards get bigger, they are supposed to be quicker. For instance, my Panasonic 256 is faster than my 128. Looks like I will try to find a 512 Ultra II.

Thanks again for help!
    You're welcome. You caught me online, so fast results. It seems the scores are consistent with my BackUpMan set writes. In practice, though, the Panasonic 512 seems very fast on the Treo 600. My BUM sets are scheduled to go at night, just after TreoTools shuts down the radio, so a 3.75 minute+ backup is nothing. DB access is extremely fast on both cards, and PowerRun launches from the card(s) are maybe a second or two. Sure, go for the fastest card out there, why not. Only concern: lots of reports of problems with SanDisk cards (at the larger sizes) and they're not cheap. The 256 Ultra II is smooth so far on my GSM, but I can't vouch for the 512, and anything beyond that I'd say is risky. Hard numbers always help. Glad I could get them off so fast for you.