Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The flashing LED while charging coincides with the battery indicator also flashing green and red. The Lightning bolt actually is what is changing colors. Treo butler would only be used if my treo was functioning properly. I have sincespoken to T-Mobiles customer service who are now sending me a replacement Treo. Unfortunately, they are making me wait 10 days claiming they are on hold.

What I can't figure out though is if the problem was with the chord, the treo or some 3rd party app. Given my troubleshooting techniques and the symptoms resulting from them, it is seemingly the Treo.

Symptom / Troubleshooting History of Events:

2 weeks ago:

Symptoms: Flashing green and red LED when treo was charging. Used both charging cable, charge cable while plugged into sync cable. Also used buddy's cables....same symptom. Battery does not actually charge while LED and battery icon are flashing....basically...couldnt charge battery. When Cables were pulled out, Treo was frozen and had no choice but to do a hard reset.

Troubleshooting Fix: Treo now back to factory default and no 3rd party apps installed, the charger worked fine...I then moved Backup folder from Handspring directory and did not install 3rd party apps that were recently installed on to my Treo. Isolated it down to what I thought was the conflicting app. and the Treo worked fine with all my apps for 2 weeks.

This past Friday: Same symptoms....flashing icon and LED when charger is plugged in. Treo not charging. WHen I pull out cable, it starts to soft reset itself and hangs on the PalmOne splash screen....left with no othe rchoice but to do hard reset. Now back to factory default with no apps, the Treo still will not charge and the LED flashed green to red to green just like before.

Left to think now it is not 3rd party software. The fact my buddy's cable also had the same symptoms leads me to believe it isn't the cable....Must be the Treo. Right? Damn this is annoying. I rely on the damn thing for almost everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjm222
    The flashing LED while charging coincides with the battery indicator also flashing green and red. The Lightning bolt actually is what is changing colors.

Wow!
    I don't understand what is the problem with the US-Treo 600.
    For some reason it seems that the majority of the problems are experienced by US (Sprint, T-Mobile) cell phone users.

Have you tried contacting Handspring direct?
    You know T-Mobile is going to give you a refurbished phone which will probably end up with the same problems or other and after they have you try a few of those then they contact handspring (according to the other posts).

If I were you I would try handspring direct.
    They had ample time to perfect their merchandize (did you hear how long it took them to release it).
    Good luck.
  3. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieB
    I have another issue, though - when I connect it to my laptop (Dell Latitude 400) I get a warning on the laptop that the power consumption on the USB port is excessive.
    Dell Lattitudes are well known for their USB current limitations. Try a powered hub (though I realise if you need that you might as well use a charger )
    At least some of this abberant bahaviour will be due to your USB ports being unable to pass sufficient current to the handset or the supply it is getting is not clean enough for the charging circuit in the handset.

Power for USB is derived from a 5.0v PSU rail, depending on the quality of your power supply/5.0v rail and the number of other devices are also powered by that rail, you may well suffer problems with voltage drop or instability. Also the length of cable will also play a part as USB is quite impedence sensitive. The default charger is also 5.2vDC

I'm not that surprised that Hard resets are occurring, graphically and worst case scenario - battery, battery, battery low, ahhhhhhh juice, switch, what the f**k is thhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat, crash.

Don't have one of these cables, couldn't be that cruel to my h/w but a good test would be to try the same thing with a desktop and decent PSU or desktop and powered hub.
    Thoroughly agree me2, oops, talked my ***e off!
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    i've been using the Boxwave cable with my Sprint T600 for several months without problem. Then yesterday I had 2 hard resets when removing the phone while the cable was still plugged into the laptop (an old Sony).

On closer inspection of the Boxwave, I discovered that the plastic surround on the pins had broken and that one of the pins had bent.

So I surmise that the reset was caused by an electrical short across the Treo's pins, which instantaneosly drained the battery. (I once saw this same behaviour on a different device, except that time the device died completely.)
    Just another reason why my charge and sync cable is staying in the drawer.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    I had this happen on both my car charger and the Sync n charge. It appears that the connector gets a bit worn and a few tiny bits of black plastic have shaved off. Now when I try to do a hotsync, it tells me "USB device not recognized" and tries in vain to find drivers for this new[?] device.

I think it is just a function of worn connectors and somehow there is a short across the pins.
    palmOne sells a synch and charge cable that is approved for use with the T600. The issue appears to be a mechanical/electrical one - tight fitting cables seem to cause some kind of short. The Treo 300 VPA car charger is one of the wortst culprits in this regard - wiggle it and prepare to lose data.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProDucer
    Has anyone noticed that when the battery level is below half and you try to use the boxwave cable the Treo starts to charge then goes back to flashing its green light and then starts charging and then back to flashing green? It keeps doing this until I get so annoyed that I just unplug the damn thing and put it on the wall charger which is also incredibly annoying because it hums at very high pitch.
    I'm having a similar -- but intermittent -- problem with my Boxwave miniSync cable: Sometimes it works fine, but about 1 time in 7 or 8, when I plug it into my Treo 600, the Treo can't decide if it's charging or not. In other words, I hear the ascending tones, indicating that it's charging, then maybe 5 seconds later, I heard the descending tones, as if it's been unplugged -- except it *hasn't* been unplugged. And this cycle repeats every 5 to 10 seconds. (Also, the battery icons continually change from green to gray, etc.)

The first time this happened, I thought it was the Treo itself, so I unplugged everything and hard reset the Treo, and when I plugged it back in, everything was working again. But the 2nd time it happened, the hard reset did nothing. I also restarted my computer -- but to no avail. Finally, I dug out my factory charging cable for the Treo, and when I plugged that one in, everything was fine. So I used that cable instead for a couple of days. Then today, I tried the miniSync again -- and it worked fine.

So the source of this problem is really hard to pinpoint. I strongly suspect the miniSync cable, but at this point, I can't really prove it yet. Anyone else have any further thoughts?
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Seems to be a problem with Boxwave. I have a 2 Belkin sync and charge cables (they also come with a car/ciggarett adapter). Both work fine no hard resets. I got them at the 99 cent store so I don't know if Belkin still makes them.

Sounds like people should try and get replacement cables or ask for their money back.
    I had two terrible experiences with the chargeable USB cable. First time is during Sync it made a crash resulted in me loose/ damage network files, which caused the Treo not to work so I had to hard reset, and install everything manually, as if I make normal sync the network file that is broken will be transferred again to the Treo (This took me around a week to get to know that I have a broken network file). The other time is also during sync with the same cable I found out that the sync also crashed, but this time causing a speaker hardware problem. I am waiting now for a replacement.
    I had two terrible experiences with the chargeable USB cable. First time is during Sync it made a crash resulted in loosing/ damaging the network files, which caused the Treo not to work so I had to hard reset, and install everything manually, as if I make normal sync the network file that is broken will be transferred again to the Treo (This took me around a week to get to know that I have a broken network file). The other time is also during sync with the same cable I found out that the sync has also crashed, but this time causing a speaker hardware problem. I am waiting now for a replacement.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12