1.    #1  
    In doing a search on the topic, it seems that the built in security app is working inconsistently on auto-lock. I'd like to have Contacts and at least one other app password-protected (or at least masked). My other app is a database specific to my professional practice.

I've used PDASecure on my T300, prefering it to the bloat of PDADefense. Does anyone have this running effectively?

Is there some other security app that someone can recommend, so that the password can be mapped to either the buttons or preferably, the navigation bar?
    Originally posted by neill
    In doing a search on the topic, it seems that the built in security app is working inconsistently on auto-lock. I'd like to have Contacts and at least one other app password-protected (or at least masked). My other app is a database specific to my professional practice.

I've used PDASecure on my T300, prefering it to the bloat of PDADefense. Does anyone have this running effectively?

Is there some other security app that someone can recommend, so that the password can be mapped to either the buttons or preferably, the navigation bar?

http://www.tealpoint.com/softlock.htm
    I have tried both PDASecure and PDADefense on the Treo and they have not worked properly. I have not been able to get PDASecure customer service to answer my questions. PDA Defense has the following on their website:

"Handspring Treo 600 Smart Phone

If you try to call a number listed within the Contacts by selecting the number and pressing the center button in the 5-way D-Pad, this will cause the device to soft reset.

While talking on the phone, your device may turn off and audio to your phone call could be lost. Turning your device back on will re-enable audio to the call. We recommend that you set your Auto Off option within the main Palm OS preferences to 3 minutes. "

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    I have discovered that if you set your auto-lock time to 5 minutes, it seems to work ok. If you set it above that (like 10 min) - it doesn't. I think some software behind the scenes is disrupting the internal timer approx every 10 minutes which is why it doesn't lock. However, at 5 min, the timer has enough time to reach the 5 minute point and the T600 locks.

Don
    I'm waiting to check this out. T600 version coming soon.

http://www.motionapps.com/products/msafe/msafe.jsp
    PDASecure - good idea for locking apps (with the wipe/bomb feature) but not the entire phone, but lousy implementation for Treos. Crashed my Treo 270 bad in the past, requiring hard resets, and slows down Treo 600 significantly. They never replied my e-mails. Don't bother with this one.

PDADefense - One major flaw - will crash if you try to dial from contacts search. They warn you about this in the user manual. So, that makes it pretty useless.

Teallock - Do a warm reset and you bypass the program altogether (reverts back to system security) , making the wipe/bomb feature useless.

OnlyMe - used on my Visor Prism, Treo 270 and now latest version I'm using with my Treo 600. Not perfect, but still the best around IMHO. Does not have encryption, but I don't need it. Although the wipe/bomb feature is mentioned only for site licensing use (ie. corporate edition), I requested for a version of onlyme with the wipe/bomb feature from the developer and he happily sent me one. This program does it job, and does it well compared with all the other products mentioned above.

Of all the above, I honestly like the PDASecure's concept best, but like I said, the thing just does not work properly on Treos.

Just my 2 cents.....
    Thank you!

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Moving only slightly off-topic...posted in case any developers are reading:

The feature I'd love to see in a security application is a remote disable or destruct. That is, you could send a text message to your phone with a special "password" in the subject line and when that text message was received, the PDA would lock up or wipe the data.

--Bill
    That's exactly what mSafe does badler.

Originally posted by SprintTreoUser
    I'm waiting to check this out. T600 version coming soon.

http://www.motionapps.com/products/msafe/msafe.jsp
    I used mSafe on my T270--great app. Will lock phone on receipt of a specific SMS message, or if someone pulls out the SIM card or cycles the radio. SImple and elegant. Waiting now for the T600 version.