1.    #1  
    I am using Palm VNC through my d-link firewall. How safe is it to leave my home pc with a VNC server waiting?

If someone scanned my ip / port 14237 and 14236 they would still have to guess my password.

Or should I consider one of the commercial products available which do the same thing, and may have better security?

Also, I can't seem to connect when my home pc is locked (ctrl-alt-del) but it connects fine when the computer is not locked.
    The only extra security I know of is restricting the IP addresses through a registry hack. There may be a way to restrict it to domain name as well, but I am not sure. Always use a strong password (special characters, numbers, upper and lower case).

As for the ability to unlock, are you running on VNC as a service or in app mode?.
    Where did you find the software? I have looked at realvnc.com but cant find any software.

I did some research on realvnc server a year ago and the security risks were minimal for the home user. They have fixed most of the password hacking issues and the only vulnerabilities (where is the spell check on this thing) are denial of service attack and they are pretty obscure but available for anyone who wants to do the research.

Most of the problem with VNC is it doesn't allow for centralized control of passwords (like active directory or NDS) so administrators end up putting the same password on every system. That means if you get the password, you have access to all systems that run the utility.

That what I remember anyway. If this is a real more than a passing concern, I suggest you get updated information.
    Originally posted by bmitchin
    Where did you find the software? I have looked at realvnc.com but cant find any software.
    You can find the latest copy of PalmVNC here

It comes bundeled with Ultra@VNC. I've got Ultra@VNC server running on a WinXP Pro box and I'm able to hit it from another WinXP Pro box on the same network using the Ultra@VNC Viewer. Works well.

I loaded the PalmVNC.PRC 2.0.4 on my Treo 180 and it crashed everytime I tried to start the app. I then downloaded the latest beta version of it off of their site (2.0.5-dev build 207) and it will at least start up without crashing.

Now I just need to figure out what I need to open up on my firewall so that I can use PalmVNC to get through to an internal IP.

Can anyone help me with that?
    I have been using PalmVNC on my Treo600 for a while and I must say that it is pretty impressive to control your PC remotely from your phone.

I have been doing this for about 1.5 years with my Treo180, but it is much better on the 600 because of the color creen. I will say however, this is one scenario where I wish that the Treo had a high-res screen. If you use 1:1 scaling you have to scroll all the time to see all the parts of the screen. If you try to use a scale factor higher than 1:2 you will not be able to see what's on the screen.

scheumanrj: You need to forward port 5900 for TCP traffic to the internal (NAT) IP of the PC you wish to control on your router's setup pages.
    VNC, out of the box isn't secure. From the official VNC website:

Is VNC secure?
    The only really secure computer is one without a network. VNC requires a password when a viewer tries to connect to a server. This password is encrypted to deter snooping, but the following graphical data, the VNC protocol, is not. In many ways, VNC is more secure than remote login programs such as telnet where the password is and the following data are sent in the clear as ascii characters. Many people find it perfectly acceptable to use VNC like this behind a corporate firewall, across a VPN, or between computers within the home. However, if the computer or network is connected to the internet, we strongly advise the use of additional security.
    Run it over an ssh tunnel, or establish a vpn connection and you'll be fine.

Dunc
    Originally posted by karlfranz
    ....You need to forward port 5900 for TCP traffic to the internal (NAT) IP of the PC you wish to control on your router's setup pages.
    I had no idea that it would be that easy, but it was. It worked for me on the first try. Thanks a lot for the help karlfranz!

Can't wait for Tmo to release the T600 so I can use this in color.
    We have some real security guru. People suggest these hugh expensive security solution, but overlook the danger in simple web browseing.

VNC use a password. App, active context, java,cookie don't require a password to access you computer. and Port 80 cannot be closed.

VNC is very secure, when compared to simiple internet browsing