Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This is not meant to alarm anyone or start any false rumors, but I am wondering if anyone out there using the 600 is experiencing any headaches.

I have had my 600 for about a month or so and about a week ago I started having a strange headache in my right temple. It only really hurts to the touch. At first I thought it was related to a tooth, but no longer think so. It is constantly there.

This morning after talking for a while on my 600, I noticed that it was a bit more sensitive to the touch and then noticed that when using the phone in my right hand the antenna was pressed right up against the area that is hurting. I am sure this is coincidence, but I thought I would ask to see if anyone else might be experiencing anything similar. You never know.

Yes, I do plan to see a doctor. I am away from home for Thanksgiving and will go see a doctor and/or dentist when I get back.
    Originally posted by johnbdh
    This is not meant to alarm anyone or start any false rumors, but I am wondering if anyone out there using the 600 is experiencing any headaches.

I have had my 600 for about a month or so and about a week ago I started having a strange headache in my right temple. It only really hurts to the touch. At first I thought it was related to a tooth, but no longer think so. It is constantly there.

This morning after talking for a while on my 600, I noticed that it was a bit more sensitive to the touch and then noticed that when using the phone in my right hand the antenna was pressed right up against the area that is hurting. I am sure this is coincidence, but I thought I would ask to see if anyone else might be experiencing anything similar. You never know.

Yes, I do plan to see a doctor. I am away from home for Thanksgiving and will go see a doctor and/or dentist when I get back.
    Not to panic, there's been much debate about the subject and the Fed's have decided to spend $10m to investigate the effects. If I read your post correctly, however, you stated the antennae is actually pressing against the area that is causing the irritation! Could it be that you simply don't notice how much pressure is actually exerted by the antennae on that area and until you remove it (and blood flow starts back to the area) it begins to swell/irritate?

I had the SAME problem with a set of keys in my left pants pocket that would actually press again a specific nerve... After a few years of numbness and tingling in my leg, unexplained by all doctor's, I figured it out. Most of the numbness and irritation is now gone, but unfortunately there has been permanent damage (i.e., my upper thigh is almost completely dead to sharp stimulae like pins or scratches to the skin).

Anyway, it's probably nothing!

Happy T-day!

L
    Lee Ladisky
    No. Life is very short. Go to a doctor. NOW!
    I'm sorry to hear that and do hope everything will be OK with you.

I can't give an opinion since I'm not a typical user. I'm in my 2nd week with my 600 but I usually make/receive calls using the speaker phone feature or a headset.

By all means do see you Doctor and if you don't mind keep us posted!

Ismenio
    Does anyone know what the SAR rating on the T600 is?

thanks (i don't have mine yet, so it may be in the documentation)

I read somewhere that it was 1.49 or something, which puts it near the top end of this chart

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6602_7-...1.html?tag=rad
    Last edited by teiwaz; 11/27/2003 at 02:32 PM.
    Not to worry - this has already been addressed many times over the decades and is well-researched. E.g. this page and its sub-pages:

-- http://www.zapatopi.net/afdb.html

have NUMEROUS links to solutions that may just solve your problem.
    Try using the ear/mike for say a week and see what happens. Ham radio ht's used to do that to me but rather it was my eyes that would hurt. Just getting the transmitter away from my face solved the problem completely.
    Are the beanies cheaper than a headset and which one is more fashionable?

No seriously, I have been concerned about this also. I have noticed that if I hold the phone more upright that I will start getting headaches. I tend to point the antennae straight back past my ear now. That seems to help.

I haven't bought a headset yet because I am bad with keeping up with such things. I also hate tangled cords. I would love to be able to get a bluetooth headset though.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts

Do you have a Sprint Treo 600 or a GSM 600? The reason I ask is that I remember when the design specs of the Sprint 600 first came out, it was widely publicized that the bulge by the earpiece was a design element said to reduce radiation. Just curious.
    My 2, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 Treo 600 Treo 700P *** Unmentionable *** Pre {rooted}
  10.    #10  
    Do you have a Sprint Treo 600 or a GSM 600? The reason I ask is that I remember when the design specs of the Sprint 600 first came out, it was widely publicized that the bulge by the earpiece was a design element said to reduce radiation. Just curious.
    Sprint.... Interesting comment.

Sprint.... Interesting comment.
    what i find interesting is why you may think its a tooth issue, when it hurts to the touch in the temple.

regardless, ones health is a serious issue, treocentral is hardly the place to look for possible answers.
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    I acutally got frequent headaches also when using the Treo 600 (Sprint). Receintly, I just switched back to one of my spare flip phones just to see if they would go away, and they have. I don't know if the headaches were really from the Treo or not, but I guess I'll see when I switch back soon!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold.
    Hope everything is ok John. Actually, I've heard of complaints like these with wireless phones in general, which is why I wouldn't recommend holding ANY such device up to your head for extended periods of time. At least invest in a good headset.

In the meantime, the primary source of MY headaches is NOT having a Treo 600 yet.
    RayUSA

"The future will be better tomorrow."
    - Dan Quayle
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    This sounds like muscle tenderness. You are now holding your head/neck in a different position with your Treo600 then you did before. The spot you are touching is actually a trigger point. It can take a few days to have the pain in this area reduced. If you clench/grind your teeth then the time to recover may be longer. Go see a physican or dentist knowledgeable in myofacsial pain.

I'd have thought that those of us waiting for a T-Mobile GSM Treo600 would be the ones with the headaches......
    Volvo-driving, Sushi-eating, Latte-sipping Liberals Against Stereotypes.
    I have been using the treo 600 for the past two months and find the unit very impressive. but also along with it I've been getting very bad headahes whenever I use the phone.its concerning me a lot as I believe this is due to the heavy radiation this phone posseses. handspring should seriously consider this peoblems otherwise they'd probably start getting heavy suit cases against them!
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Originally posted by JTREOB

what i find interesting is why you may think its a tooth issue, when it hurts to the touch in the temple.

regardless, ones health is a serious issue, treocentral is hardly the place to look for possible answers.
    Here is an explanation of sorts:

http://www.nti-tss.com/slide4.htm

There is a possibiltiy of a referred tooth pain coming from trigger points in the temporalis muscle that overlays the temporal bone. If someone were to hold the handset in a way that presses the antenna into an area of a trigger point, the resulting pain could be either the temple or tooth that could persist long after the irritation.

I would see a dentist. They are the experts at that region of the body. I wouldn't take my faulty brakes to AAMCO.

It could also be a sound in the speaker that you can't detect. This happened on one of my Nokia's once. Headaches were common without a headset. I put my sim in a friends phone for a week to test if it was my phone.

Maybe this will help.

Derek
    I just read something about a SAR level of 1.49 for the Treo 600 and some headache prb.

Just for your info the SAR level for the GSM version is 0.564 W/Kg with GSM 900 and for the GSM 1800 the SAR level is 0.852 W/Kg

Here is the link which proves what I just said :
    http://caslis.com/devices/treo600/tr.../854F1208.html

The Treo 600 is very low in term SAR please see the table :
    http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6602_7-...net&tag=subnav

So if you have some headache prb maybe it is related to one of your older phone. It is a fact than the old analog phone were very dangerous for the health.

From my personal point of view the Treo 600 is a very safe phone especialy in term of SAR.

I hope it can help...

Joxes
    http://support.handspring.com/downlo...o600UG_GSM.pdf

(towards the end/index p.150)

Maximum Measured SAR Values (W/kg)
    Band: 850 MHz 900 MHz 1800 MHz 1900 MHz
    Head SAR: 1.49 1.07 1.53 1.05
    Body SAR: .646 .703 .402 .336

these numbers are higher than what you posted...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast