View Poll Results: Do you charge your Treo overnight?

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

130 91.55%
  • No

12 8.45%
  1.    #1  
    Just wondering how many of you charge your Treo overnight and if it has any effect on the battery.
    I got in the habit with my 270 of plugging in almost all the time - I travel a lot, but I'm usually near my PC, so I use a USB charge cable...at night, I use the USB wall charger.

The documentation indicates that the battery does better by being topped off...I will be curious to see what others think.
    I charge mine overnight, but since I've only had it for about a month now, and I tend to use it to wildly varying extents each day, I can't tell if the battery is degrading or not. Ask me again in a year.
    I plug mine in every night and have seen no adverse effects. The only thing I noticed was the indicator never goes higher than 99%, but I can't say that it ever did.
    Charles

Kyocera 6035-->Samsung I-300-->Samsung I-330-->Treo 600-->Sprint Treo 650-->Cingular Treo 650-->AT&T Treo 680-->AT&T Crimson Treo 680-->AT&T Black Centro-->AT&T Copper Treo 680-->iPhone 3G 8GB-->iPhone 3GS 16GB-->HTC EVO 4G
    My (extensive) research shows that it is best to top it off whenever possible, and fully drain it once every 30-45 days.

-rob
    Robber is 100% correct - Li-Ion batteries like to be topped and periodically discharged. I plug mine in whenever possible, even on short car trips, etc.

One thing I have noticed as a result: 100% charge is almost always attainable.
    Highly Mobile iPhone User

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
  7.    #7  
    What about the effects of overcharging?
    Bearing in mind that a full charge takes no more than 2hrs, leaving it juiced overnight is definitely overcharging.

Read this:
    http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-12.htm

I'm puzzled by two statements. Could someone clarify them for me:

#1: "No trickle charge is applied because lithium-ion is unable to absorb overcharge."

#2: "What happens if a battery is inadvertently overcharged? lithium-ion is designed to operate safely within their normal operating voltage but become unstable if charged to higher voltages."

Statement 1 implies that there is no such thing as an overcharge for lithium batteries. But statement 2 contradicts this. So which is it, can lithium batteries be overcharged or not?
    When you charge a battery you are applying a quantity of electricity (amperage) at a given pressure (voltage). The charger, if it's a smart charger, will shut off or lower the charging rate significantly as the battery approaches a full state. A dumb charger will simply try to push current at the same voltage and since the battery is full, no current will flow. However, the voltage will not change, meaning the battery will not get unstable.

Think of electricity like water and it's easier - if you are filling a sealed container from a hose, the hose is supplying water at a given rate. When the container is filled, no more water can get in, and so the water flow ceases. But the pressure remains the same since the pump is still running at the same speed. If you were to increase the pump speed (and therefore the pressure) enough, you would burst the container. Make sense now?
    Highly Mobile iPhone User

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
    The Treo Manual (of all things) states:

"Charge your Treo whenver you're at your desk. The Lithium Ion battery has a much longer useful life when it is topped off frequently, versus charging it after it is fully drained."
    Last edited by SprintTreoUser; 11/27/2003 at 06:31 PM.
    Good point, but I think you made a typo - The manual actually states:

"Charge your Treo whenever you're at your desk. The Lithium Ion battery has a much longer useful life when it is topped off frequently, versus charging it after it is fully drained ."

I'm sure that's what you meant. I got confused when I read your post, so I had to check the manual myself.
    Thanks for catching my typo. I'll fix it now.
    i heard that if you charge the treo in the cradle, the battery life will be preserved...but I've no proof
    I charged my Treo overnight last night. Today I used pocket tunes to shoutcast over the web for more than an hour. It is still showing a 100% battery power. Either there is a huge extra margin of charging over 100% or something is wrong with my phone now.

Guess I will know soon.
  14.    #14  
    Originally posted by Dusk
    I charged my Treo overnight last night. Today I used pocket tunes to shoutcast over the web for more than an hour. It is still showing a 100% battery power. Either there is a huge extra margin of charging over 100% or something is wrong with my phone now.

Guess I will know soon.
    I've read of this problem somewhere before on this forum. The Treos with seemingly good battery life had all undergone overnight charging. It seems that this has an erratic effect on the battery display (not actual battery life).

A simple soft reset would reveal the true state of the battery charge.

Let's try a simple test:-
    Can those of you who frequently leave your Treos charged overnight check your battery meter after half a day's usage? After which, do a soft reset and see if the battery's remaining charge matches with the previous one.

And post your findings here. Thanks.
    I keep mine on overnight and top it off during the day at work with a USB cable. The most that I have ever taken mine down is to about 45% after a ton of websurfing. I have noticed that PocketTunes doesn't seem to draw a lot of power compared to websurfing.

Joe Tampa's explaination is right on the money. Repeated full draining of an Li-Ion will harm it. They are not like the old Ni-Cd where you had to drain them fully to prevent memory effect. Or like the Ni-Mh where occasional full draining would help them.

On the other hand, I have seen batteries in laptops that were never undocked for 6 -12 months (why the heck the person had a laptop is another question) that would have dead batteries that couldn't be charged. It is almost as if no discharging at all would kill them too.
    It is almost as if no discharging at all would kill them too.
    I had a notebook that had suffered from the same problem.

-rob
  17. sd8
    what's your average battery life?

i didn't use the phone at all but wireless was on.

only lasted 24hrs.
    Originally posted by JoeTampa
    When you charge a battery you are applying a quantity of electricity (amperage) at a given pressure (voltage). The charger, if it's a smart charger, will shut off or lower the charging rate significantly as the battery approaches a full state. A dumb charger will simply try to push current at the same voltage and since the battery is full, no current will flow. However, the voltage will not change, meaning the battery will not get unstable.
    So does the Treo switch over to a trickle mode when the battery is full? I've checked Handspring's developers guide and didn't find anything.

I hope so. I usually let mine charge overnight.