Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well, it has been voiced a couple different times...and I will voice it as well. I don't believe this problem is only Vaja, but since I own a Vaja, I will point at them.

First the positives. The case smells like a new leather jacket. I feel like I just walked into a Wilson's Leather Shop! It fits very snug. It holds two SD cards, and my license/credit card or two. It snaps tight, it offers screen mesh on the speaker (rear) as well as the head piece (front speaker). It has cutouts in all the right places...it is in typical Vaja fashion...perfect. Oh, and I LOVE the beach floater material in the front. I was scared to order it as I thought it would be stark white...well, it isn't...more like a cream/beige color...VERY NICE!

Now...the problem. Our phones (as it has been discovered by a couple of us) are capable of answering a phone call by pushing down the space bar. Don't ask me why as I'm not a programmer...but it is proving to be a bad thing for those of us with snap style full closure cases. The reason being that the lid that flips in front of the screen to protect it is pushing up against the space bar...thus, when the phone rings, it automatically picks up the phone call!!!! NO BUENO!

Again...awesome case...and I can't see how any other flip style case wouldn't do this same thing. What we do need is a way to disable the space bar for call answering. Anyone have any ideas?

-Sam
    <CENTER>
    <strong>
    <span style="color: blue;">Where's the "Make Coffee" button again?</span>
    </strong>
    I sent a message to Vaja concerning the problem and here is their reply.

Thank you very much for your explanation. Our Product Department is working on this problem so as soon as they provide a solution for the issue, we will contact you immediately to explain the procedure to follow. Please be so kind as to wait for our reply, Sincere apologies for this issue

I hope they can do something. They have always been very responsive and this is just another example of their customer service.
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by alanfujii
    I sent a message to Vaja concerning the problem and here is their reply.

Thank you very much for your explanation. Our Product Department is working on this problem so as soon as they provide a solution for the issue, we will contact you immediately to explain the procedure to follow. Please be so kind as to wait for our reply, Sincere apologies for this issue

I hope they can do something. They have always been very responsive and this is just another example of their customer service.
    Absolutely...couldn't agree more.

Thanks

Sam
    <CENTER>
    <strong>
    </strong>
    I have been experiencing the same problem. I am using the NutShell case from my 300 untill the new one arrives.
    http://www.tuff-as-nuts.com
    It is a pocket syle case, and it causes the phone to answer itself all the time. All I have to do is move a little and it stops ringing. And being a T300 case, it fits really loose.
    300, 600, 755p, Pre
    I used to have this problem with the nutshell case too. I'm using my nutshell case for the 300 with my 600 now. I had the shoe repair guy run a stitch up both sides of the case to make it snugger for the 600. It works perfectly and I don't need to purchase a new case for the 600 now.

Anyway, my problem was when I get a call, and take the phone out of the case, it would sometimes mash the space key and answer the call when I took it out of the case. I never had it answer while it was just sitting in the case.

Anyway, what I did was bend the bottom of the nutshell case in a "V" so that the bottom of the V is where the space bar is. If you bend it real good a few times it reshapes the hard leather near the bottom of the case so that it doesn't push so much on the space bar.

Try it out. Also, if anyone gets the nutshell case for the 600, please let me know how it is. Is it too snug, like it was with the 300 until after a few months of use, etc? I like it barely snug so that I can easily slip it in and out without it being loose enough to bounce out. And I cut off the top flap. You can purchase it now without the flap. To me, the nutshell is perfect. I've never had the clip slip off my belt. It's a uniquely and perfectly designed clip that resists almost any kind of bump to try and knock it off your belt. And it looks elegant, IMO.
  6.    #6  
    See to me I shouldn't have to modify the case...I should be able to shut off the space bar answer feature
    Nice info on stitching the 300 case. I was going to order the 600 case tomorrow, but I think I will stop by the shoemaker instead.

I think it is more of a problem for the programmers than the case manufacturers. It would be nice if they could move the answer to the center of the 5way.
    300, 600, 755p, Pre
  8.    #8  
    It is the center of the 5 way when the screen is disabled
    Anyway, my problem was when I get a call, and take the phone out of the case, it would sometimes mash the space key and answer the call when I took it out of the case. I never had it answer while it was just sitting in the case.
    I have the Nutshell Case for my Treo 600 and I used to have it auto answering every time until I changed the way I put it in the case. I now have the screen facing toward my body and works great now.

The Nutshell has a very stiff backing and apparently this prevents pressure on the buttons that you normally get when the Treo is placed in the case with the screen & buttons facing out.
    Last edited by norpah; 11/29/2003 at 10:53 PM.
    myline = Treo650 w/SprintPCS
    Is there still no fix for this proble? My Vaja case is due to arrive tomorow morning. I am eager to start using the case, but as far as I am concerned, this problem renders the case completely useless! Those of you currnently using the Vaja case, what are you doing about the auto answer problem?

Paul
  11.    #11  
    Originally posted by pmurph222
    Is there still no fix for this proble? My Vaja case is due to arrive tomorow morning. I am eager to start using the case, but as far as I am concerned, this problem renders the case completely useless! Those of you currnently using the Vaja case, what are you doing about the auto answer problem?

Paul
    I'm just keeping a real close ear on it...I keep the case attached to my belt right where my arm hangs...and I have the vibrate feature on...that way when it rings, I feel it...and I can grab it right away as it is already an active call. It does suck right now...but I think it will get fixed.

Now that I think of it...ya know what would work? We need a foam doughnut attached to the inside of the case...something that will keep the case away from the bottom of the phone, but doesn't touch the space bar...real thin is all we need. Hmm...well, I have Tuesday off this week, so maybe I'll play then!
    <CENTER>
    <strong>
    </strong>
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    can you please post pictures of your vaja cases for the 600?

thanks
    I'll post pictures of the case as soon as i get it
    tomorow (hopefully).

Paul
    I guess the "auto answer" feature in the Vaja case is not going over so well (just kidding)

Anyone wanting to see pictures of the cases can see them at http://www.vajacases.com/vaja/catalo...w&Cat=treo_600
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Thanks, ive seen those pictures on vaja.com they are ok, but i dont trust them. We really need to see these things in action with real treo users photos ...
    Alright guys, here's what I did to get around the auto-answer feature for now. I got a very small piece of foam with tape on one side. Then I just taped it right under the space bar key. Now when I snap the phone case closed, the foam prevents the space bar from being pushed down. I've tested it several times now and it appears to be working ok. Nothing fancy of course.
    The real solution is to have a way to turn OFF the space key answering. Hopefully handspring will come out with a fix....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Nice work, can you please post some pictures of the entire case so we can see how it works ... the vaja.com shots are not convincing...

thanks
    I only have a junky web-cam at work, and the pics I took are pretty bad. If there is still a need, I can try and take some pics at home tonight and post them.
    I don't have either a 600 or a Vaja case yet, although I hope that will all soon change. I am wondering though if a better solution might not be to:

a. Attach the standoff to the case rather than the treo. (Then the treo will be clean when removed from the case.

b. Try the standoffs at the edges (or sides, if you will). Seems there is more room there alignment, etc.

Looking at the design of the 270/300 clam shell, there is a raised lip on the edge of the cover as well as a raised portion on the lower edge of the main unit (where the scroll keys are). Both of these allow the clam shell to close without pressing on the keyboard.
    Originally posted by jaytee
    I don't have either a 600 or a Vaja case yet, although I hope that will all soon change. I am wondering though if a better solution might not be to:

a. Attach the standoff to the case rather than the treo. (Then the treo will be clean when removed from the case.

b. Try the standoffs at the edges (or sides, if you will). Seems there is more room there alignment, etc.

Looking at the design of the 270/300 clam shell, there is a raised lip on the edge of the cover as well as a raised portion on the lower edge of the main unit (where the scroll keys are). Both of these allow the clam shell to close without pressing on the keyboard.
    Good Idea jaytee.....I added the foam to the case around the corners as you suggested. I'd post a pic but it's black on black and you can't make them out. But.....it does lift the cover up high enough that there is no chance of hitting the space bar with the cover closed.
    So really, all Vaja and the other case makers need to do is add risers on both edges of the cover. It could even be a couple of rivets if they could make them look good.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast