Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just wonder if there is a way that we can increase the camera shot bytes from the usual 20-29 bytes to at least 70+ bytes. Since i have notice that if two same picture with a 20+ bytes and another with 70+ bytes are compared, the 70+ bytes gives a clearer and sharper pictures under the same condition.
    Is there anyway to hack away at the treo to reduce the jpeg compression ratio?
    I'll be quite happy with bigger picture files but better quality.
    I third that motion. You'll notice that while the image is saving, the picture is quite sharp, but once it's saved it's inevitably fuzzier. This give me hope that most of the Treo's camera problem can be corrected with softwate.
    I would love to have a third party camera application that gave me some more options than the built-in app.
    I played around with the new SonyEricsson P900 the other day, and the camera software could be set to different modes - "normal", "night mode", "sunshine" if I remember correctly.
    Also, I tried one of the Nokia camera phones a few months ago, and from the built-in camera application I could look at the pictures but also zoom in on each picture.
    A new palm application that incorporated these features plus other cool stuff would be great!
    Anyone up for it?

/Christopher
    I'll fifth that
    I looked through the treo 600 developers kit and it looks easy to capture an image and save it without compressing it and loosing the quality..
    Only problem is I have no clue about developing on the palm platform.
  7.    #7  
    Would it be right or nice if we can call handspring to do something about saving the shot without much compression so as to preserve/increase the quality?
    ill sixth that!
    Maybe this helps......

The reason for the jpeg compression is quite simple, and handspring are unlikely to change the original software to allow different quality fotos because of this....

The reason the compression is so high is because of the picture MMS services which only allow pictures under a certain size to be sent through the network, just like video messaging (under 100k) picture MMS is under 50k (i think, not sure)...

The nokia mobile phones circumvent this by taking the picture at any size and then compressing it seperately when sent via MMS.... thus we'll have to wait for 3rd party camera software that isn't intended for the MMS usage..... it took a while for this to become available for the Nokia Symbian phones and actually made the image quality worse!!!

The outlook is not rosy......

Cheers,

R_H
    Wait a minuite.. The api to the camera is published and doesn't appear too complicated. How does that make the outlook 'not too rosey'? I would expect pretty quick development of better camera software for the platform. The palm platform is pretty easy to write for and the developer base is large. Wait a month or so and you will see at least one project developed (he says, as he looks into his crystal ball)
    Originally posted by jaytee
    Wait a minuite.. The api to the camera is published and doesn't appear too complicated. How does that make the outlook 'not too rosey'? I would expect pretty quick development of better camera software for the platform. The palm platform is pretty easy to write for and the developer base is large. Wait a month or so and you will see at least one project developed (he says, as he looks into his crystal ball)
    Gotcha....

Makes sense, unfortunately (at least in my experience) in order to get good results from the camera, a 3rd party developer needs to push the limits of the camera hardware, I haven't looked at the api, but in my experience I have found that 3rd party developers don't tend to push the envelope when it comes to hardware enhancements.

Back to the Symbian example, I found that the third party picture/video software fot the Nokia's really sucked when compared to the software officially endorsed (and funded) by Nokia.... the third party software (although functionally superior) produced pictures/video of a worse quality than that of the official developers.

I'm not saying that it can't happen, I'm just a pessimist, furthermore, that Handspring didn't do it right in the first place doesn't give me hope that another developer will come out of nowhere and save the camera....

Cheers,

R_H
    Originally posted by michael828
    I just wonder if there is a way that we can increase the camera shot bytes from the usual 20-29 bytes to at least 70+ bytes. Since i have notice that if two same picture with a 20+ bytes and another with 70+ bytes are compared, the 70+ bytes gives a clearer and sharper pictures under the same condition.
    The image library on the treo contains a function for setting the jpeg compression factor. The default setting sacrifices a bit of image quality in an effort to keep the average image size down, so you can fit more pictures in RAM. Unfortunately, this setting is not exposed via the camera app.

If you would like to reduce the compression level to obtain slightly better looking, but larger pictuers, post a follow up with your email address. I can give you a utility for setting the compression level.

Reducing the compression will make your pictures look a little bit sharper, but it will not help with the blue speckles, nor will it improve the quality of pictures taken in low light. This utility really only helps the appearance of pictures that already seemed acceptable.

bigH
    Have you written a utility? Perhaps you could post it on Handango, Download.com, etc.

Or just write out some details on another post?

Just don't want my email address sitting out here for years to come...
    could you send a copy of this util to spam(at)lotek(dot)net.
    Can I also get a copy too. Thank you.
    Last edited by briank760; 01/05/2004 at 06:10 PM.
    will somebody post it for download????
    Originally posted by 100thMonkey
    will somebody post it for download????
    I will just post it to my website, since more than one person wants it. I will post here with a link when it is ready.

bigH
    Originally posted by bigH

I will just post it to my website, since more than one person wants it. I will post here with a link when it is ready.

bigH
    Ok, I have posted it. The app is called qset, and the link is below. The app will not win UI of the year award, but it gets the job done. I didn't invest a lot of time making it pretty because I think people will be disappointed when they see how little this impacts their pictures.

Run the program, enter a new compression value between 1 and 99 (higher == larger, higher quality pictures), and click OK to save. To really see how the compression level affects picture quality, set the level to 10 and take a test picture. Save it and then view it from the list (or better yet, transfer it to a PC and view it there). It should look really blocky.

In order to use the app, you must agree to the following terms:

BECAUSE THE PROGRAM IS LICENSED FREE OF CHARGE, THERE IS NO WARRANTY FOR THE PROGRAM, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW. EXCEPT WHEN OTHERWISE STATED IN WRITING THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND/OR OTHER PARTIES PROVIDE THE PROGRAM "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE PROGRAM IS WITH YOU. SHOULD THE PROGRAM PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU ASSUME THE COST OF ALL NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION.

IN NO EVENT UNLESS REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAW OR AGREED TO IN WRITING WILL ANY COPYRIGHT HOLDER, OR ANY OTHER PARTY WHO MAY MODIFY AND/OR REDISTRIBUTE THE PROGRAM AS PERMITTED ABOVE, BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR DAMAGES, INCLUDING ANY GENERAL, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE PROGRAM (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO LOSS OF DATA OR DATA BEING RENDERED INACCURATE OR LOSSES SUSTAINED BY YOU OR THIRD PARTIES OR A FAILURE OF THE PROGRAM TO OPERATE WITH ANY OTHER PROGRAMS), EVEN IF SUCH HOLDER OR OTHER PARTY HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.

If you do not agree to these terms, don't download the app.

PS: I have not tested this on physical treo 600 device, just the simulator. If that makes you queasy, then don't use the app.

http://www.bcbdev.com/ftp/QsetApp.prc

bigH
    Last edited by bigH; 01/05/2004 at 06:22 PM.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    I was not able to acces this link.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Originally posted by meir602
    I was not able to acces this link.
    Remove the period from the end of the URL
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast