Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Originally posted by meir602
    I was not able to acces this link.
    Remove a dot at the end of the link.
    Originally posted by willp2

Remove the period from the end of the URL
    My bad. I edited my post and nuked the offending punctuation.

bigH
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Originally posted by bigH

My bad. I edited my post and nuked the offending punctuation.

bigH
    You've got some nerve, going to the trouble of building this thing, then posting a typo. Well I guess it can slide this one time.

Looking forward to trying it out. I have it installed and its apparently working, files are larger. I'll need to see them on a PC to know if there is a difference in quality.

Super tiny app BTW. Nice work.
    Nifty compression utility! I'm giving it a whirl.

And we have the folks at Sprint et al (Telco heads) to thank for the photo limitations/headaches being "built in" to the Treo. So they can save a few bytes of their precious bandwidth!

Out with the Bell-shaped heads! We need Wi-Fi+Bluetooth on the Treo!!

The telco guys seem to think "services" are going to save them from eroding margins/revenue... but they won't. Bandwidth is going to get even cheaper and more accessible. The telcos don't really have a good answer for... lots of cheap data bandwidth! aka the internet. especially as internet latencies come down over the next few years. Wi-Fi is their worst nightmare! It gets you on the internet cheaply, as access gets easier/more pervasive it'll work in our favor.

On a packet-based/IP network (e.g. the internet with Wi-Fi access), things like picture file size would not be an issue. And there would be none of this nonsense about "paying" to send a picture ...

The JPEG compression factor is not a "local" issue when you have an SD card in there... there should be an option to maximize the picture quality, for Treo users with SD cards. PDA memory is going to continue to get a lot bigger, and a lot cheaper. Enforcing heavy JPEG compression on us (even for 1-2 years) is a short-sighted (spelled, economic) decision by HS.

It won't be long before we have 1Mega pixel cameras in smartphones... then 2-3 megapixels. But cramming in some optics into a small form factor will be a real challenge! I'm placing my bets for 1Mpixels within a year, and 2-3 megapixels within 2-3 years, in a palm OS-based phone.
    Last edited by sbell22; 01/06/2004 at 07:36 AM.
    steve bell

Sharp Zaurus>HP200LX>Cassiopeia E-10>Palm Pilot 1000/5000>iPaq 3600>HP 360/620LX>Palm III, IIIx>Diamond Mako>Palm V>Palm Vx>Psion 5Mx>iPaq 3630,3670>Samsung i300>Sony Clie NX70>Kyocera 7135>Sony PEG T50>Samsung i330>Treo300>Samsung i500>Sony NZ90>Sony SJ33>Rim 7230>Sprint Treo 600>Treo 600>iPaq H4355 PPC>iPod + Sprint Treo 600>Sony Clie NX-73, Th55>Sanyo 8200>Treo 650>Tungsten T5+BB 7290>iPhone 2G>iPhone 3G>AT&T BB Curve>AT&T BB Storm>BB Bold>Sprint Curve>Sprint/Palm Pre (6/6/09)
    I tried the app and got some interesting results. When I saved the image (pressed "keep"), the Saving bar flashed left to right 8 or 10 times. Only one new image appeared on the list. When I checked the "unfiled" folder within the Handspring folder (handspring/ME/Treo Photos/unfiled) there were indeed about 8-10 copies of the image with the designation qxx after the number and date, presumably the degree of compression. Any way to limit this?

Rest assured, the behaviour quit occurring after I deleted the app and did a soft reset. Still, I would have liked to be in control of the level of compression.....
    Last edited by Dalai Lama; 01/05/2004 at 08:46 PM.
    Just wanted to say thanks for posting this handy app! Works great!
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    Bah, it deleted my post.

BECAUSE THE ATTACHED UNRETOUCHED PHOTO WAS TOO BIG!

Muhahahahahahaa!

http://www.jimsabo.com/treo_unleashed.jpg

Dude, you just made the camera in this thing usable. Where can I send you a fiver?
    Holy Shnikes! It works!

Set up a Paypal account and I'll send you some jack too!
    Downloaded QSET on Treo600-GSM.
    Worked OK ran some tests to check it out.
    setting 90 gives a 55K image size, setting 99 gave 189K.
    setting 10 gave a 9K image

Agree difference in quality is not amazing.

Is it possible to alter camera speed to get longer exposure times or even better switch an output (SD card?) to operate a flash.

Geoff
    This is a nice thing!!!!!

Did a test and pictures come out a bit sharper.

Attached a file with 3 times the same picture at 10, 65 (default setting) and 90!

Great work, thanks

Ton
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I installed this and did the same obvious tests that everybody else did: 10, 65, 90, 99. The interesting thing was how the detail was affected. In the lower settings (low resolution/small file), areas of consistent color were represented by large, low pixel count blocks of color. Areas of contrast switched to smaller blocks, with more pixels in that area. This only became apparent in zooming in on the detail after the pictures had transferred to the PC using an editing program.

Even at the lowest (10) setting, the software still attempts to capture the contrast areas at the highest resolution, but it uses very large blocks of color in areas of even color. It does not do a perfect job at the boundaries, however, and this accounts for some degradation. The fact that it tries to capture some areas of detail at the highest pixel count even with the lowest setting explains why you only get incremental (but clearly worthwhile) gains in clarity at the highest settings.

The difference between 90 and 99 is very minor, since almost the entire picture (if not the entire picture) is saved at the highest pixel count in either case.

Am I wrong in guessing that the number setting is some sort of contrast sensitivity setting that determines the contrast threshold at which it uses a less dense pixel count?
    The number setting is the amount of compression (or in this case, the (1.0 - amount of compression)) to do. By specifying a high number (approaching 1) you are essentially telling the JPEG routine NOT to compress the image.

-- http://people.cs.und.edu/~mschroed/jpeg.html
    Why is 99 the cap?
    > Why is 99 the cap?

Because 1 greater than that makes 100 and (100-100) makes no compression at all.
    That makes sense, but why can't software do the opposite of compression?
    To do the "opposite of compression" the software would have to ADD INFORMATION to an image - that is, make it BETTER than the rawest data collected.

I suppose one could call some of the image enhancement tricks (such as, say, sharpening edges, etc) as doing something "opposite of compression" but personally that's stretching word semantics somewhat...
    This application makes no real difference when you are viewing the image on your Treo, but when you transfer the image to your PC you can really tell a difference. So in short if you are looking for huge difference in your Treo you won't find it. If you are looking to have better pictures when you transfer them over then this is the ticket. Bravo!

Aegeas
    Originally posted by Dalai Lama
    I tried the app and got some interesting results. When I saved the image (pressed "keep"), the Saving bar flashed left to right 8 or 10 times. Only one new image appeared on the list. When I checked the "unfiled" folder within the Handspring folder (handspring/ME/Treo Photos/unfiled) there were indeed about 8-10 copies of the image with the designation qxx after the number and date, presumably the degree of compression. Any way to limit this?
    Yes. Don't set the compression level to 1. Doing so appears to trigger some sort of internal compression test that lasts until the next soft reset.

bigH
    What is the equivalent compression without qedit? I took one picture with the it set on 65 (default) and another with it set on 90 and didn't see a huge difference, although there was some. The other pictures I've taken are downright crummy... I guess I need to try taking some other pictures and see what I think.

Thanks for the app.
    Originally posted by stecz
    What is the equivalent compression without qedit? I took one picture with the it set on 65 (default) and another with it set on 90 and didn't see a huge difference, although there was some.

The other pictures I've taken are downright crummy...
    The compression level can't make a crummy photo look better (ie low light photos, or pictures with the mysterious blue pixels).

bigH
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast