1.    #1  
    Hello,

First time post, as my searches didn't come up with anything.

Here's the deal, whenever the green <-/-> arrows are lit (which I assume means the vision service is being used) I can't recieve any calls. They forward straight to voicemail.

At first I didn't think much of it. I set it to auto check my e-mail through the Sprint BC every 15 mins. so assumed that I might expect to miss a few calls if people happened to call at that exact time. After using the phone for about a week now I have gotten several complaints about missed calls.

If I look at the device I notice that the green arrows go on rather frequently. Almost once every two minutes. WTF is it doing? And why can't it recieve calls during those times?

Was planning to port my number from T-Mobile today, but now am giving it second thoughts. I recognize I could set it to only alert me through SMS and then connect when I deemed it necessary. I have to say with the data speeds I have been really impressed about phones wireless modem speed. GPRS is sloooooow, but at least you can recieve calls when connected. Suggestions?
  2.    #2  
    I guess to to clarify I should ask:

Does GSM/GPRS for sure allow seamless transfer from an active data session to accept incoming calls at all times?

What is the speed of the GPRS connection? Any comparison to Sprint Vision?
    Originally posted by alavelle
    I guess to to clarify I should ask:

Does GSM/GPRS for sure allow seamless transfer from an active data session to accept incoming calls at all times?
    Yup... shut's that sucker right down and the phone just plain rings.

B]What is the speed of the GPRS connection? Any comparison to Sprint Vision? [/B]
    Dunno... only have had GSM/GPRS, but I hear the difference was quite noticable between the 270 and the 300.

That said, the ability not to lose voice calls and an unlimited data plan both keep me on t-mo
    Well, I suppose I'm one of the few people here to have a T270 (TMO), and T300 (Sprint), a T600 (generic; TMO sim) and a T600 (Sprint)....

First, jaytee is exactly right. TMO works exactly right with data and voice. You will be pleased and won't be missing calls.

Second, there are a couple of moving parts here where data rate is concerned...

1) Sprint (CDMA) is significantly faster in pure data rate. My gut tells me around 50% faster, BUT...

2) Many websites are processor-limited when it comes to rendering, so the APPARENT difference is significantly less (I'd say maybe 25%).

Unless speed is absolutely critical, it sounds like TMO is best for you.

Marc
    Yeah, that's the one major negative against CDMA, you can't do data and voice simutaneously...at least not until 1xEvDv. While on an active data connection via 1xrtt, all voice calls get automatically routed to voicemail. However, numeric pages do get instantly routed to the phone. Thus, if you change your out going greeting to ask callers to send you a numeric page, this should get through immediately. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $the$ $Treo600$ $is$ $a$ $Class$ $B$ $GSM$/$GPRS$ $phone$. $This$ $means$ $that$ $the$ $phone$ $can$ $be$ $attached$ $to$ $both$ $GPRS$ $and$ $GSM$ $services$, $using$ $one$ $service$ $at$ $a$ $time$. $Class$ $B$ $enables$ $making$ $or$ $receiving$ $a$ $voice$ $call$, $or$ $sending$/$receiving$ $an$ $SMS$ $during$ $a$ $GPRS$ $connection$. $During$ $voice$ $calls$ $or$ $SMS$, $GPRS$ $services$ $are$ $suspended$ $and$ $then$ $resumed$ $automatically$ $after$ $the$ $call$ $or$ $SMS$ $session$ $has$ $ended$. $A$ $prompt$ $will$ $ask$ $you$ $to$ $pick$ $up$ $a$ $voice$ $call$ $will$ $come$ $through$ $while$ $using$ $data$. $If$ $you$ $accept$, $then$ $you$ $automatically$ $switch$ $to$ $voice$ $from$ $data$. $However$, $you$ $cannot$ $do$ $both$ $voice$ $and$ $data$ $simutaneoulsy$ $on$ $the$ $GSM$/$GPRS$ $Treo600$. $Only$ $Class$ $A$ $GSM$/$GPRS$ $devices$ $are$ $capable$ $of$ $this$...

Any, if I were you I'ld suggest doing the following:
    -increase the polling interval of your email client to prevent frequent actie data sessions
    -use a sms triggered solution like treohelper instead of fixed polling
    -use utilty like treohelper (dropnet) etc to set data connetion off after set time (there is also another utilty - search the forums)
    -specify in your greeting to send numeric pages

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions