1.    #1  
    Well, the big reason I bought the Treo 600 was to send and receive email. And not just sprintpcs email but email from my domain - bish.net.

As we all know getting mail is easy - just put in your pop server with the username and password and you are all set. The only problem is that pop clients send the username/password as plain text so in an effort to encrypt this I installed an SSL enabled pop server on bish.net. Now that end (receiving email) is all set and secure.

Now, onto sending email. Sprint makes smtp servers avail (smtp.sprintpcs.com) but I didn't want to send email through sprint's servers for a variety of reasons. So, I installed the TLS version of exim on bish.net and opened bish.net's mail server to relay for only authenticated users only. And all of this is done over SSL as well so it is all encrypted.

Add a rewriting rule for the From: header and now I can check either use my phone or login to my server as usual to receive/read/send email.

(Note: I use two accounts on bish.net one for receiving and one for sending. This allows me to keep my client open on bish.net without running into file locking problems. I can also add more or less filtering on incoming email before it is sent to my phone.)

Had to brag - been working on this the last two days.
    RU using the Handspring Mail client to do this?
  3.    #3  
    Yeah.
    Could you point me to some web pages that describe what's necessary for getting the SSL POP/SMTP to work? Or is the documentation that comes with the packages sufficient? Anything noteworthy during the process that you encountered that you want to share?

I was looking into implementing cyrus-sasl on my server for authenticated SMTP yesterday so I can send emails from my phone. Cingular is not nice enough to provide us with an SMTP server. I'll look into the TLS version of exim.

Why did you have to add a rule to rewrite the from header?
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by catbert00
    Could you point me to some web pages that describe what's necessary for getting the SSL POP/SMTP to work? Or is the documentation that comes with the packages sufficient? Anything noteworthy during the process that you encountered that you want to share?
    I tried courier but I couldn't get it to work so then I moved to ipopd-ssl. Once I got this running poping mail was a breeze.

SMTP was a lot harder. There are tw parts to it - SSL for encryption and authentication for relaying.

I set
    relay_domains = *.spcsdns.net
    host_auth_accept_relay = *

This basically says, if you have the right authentication then I will relay for you. This is important because all sprint phones are coming from the spcsdns.net domain and mail servers won't relay mail if you are not in their trusted domains. (Side note: spammers hunt down open servers to bounce their mail through, you don't want to leave an open one out there.)

One thing that was annoying was figuring out how to set the correct password on the server. I created an account and copied the /etc/shadow file over to /etc/exim/passwd and then removed everything except the username and the password in the file.

I was looking into implementing cyrus-sasl on my server for authenticated SMTP yesterday so I can send emails from my phone. Cingular is not nice enough to provide us with an SMTP server. I'll look into the TLS version of exim.

Why did you have to add a rule to rewrite the from header?
    Well, I get a lot of email - like hundreds a day. I have some procmail filters setup to filter spam into the spam folder and mail list email into the proper folders. What's left is email that is spam but got through the filters or important email. This leftover email is written to /var/spool/mail/sprintaccount. What was happening was that everytime I was popping for mail it was locking my mail spool - which was getting really annoying. So now all I do is check my sprintaccount email. When I send email from my phone it sees the header line 'From: sprintaccount@bish.net' and rewrites it to 'From: mark@bish.net' so when people reply to me - it goes to mark@bish.net and I am able to either read it using my usual email app (login remotely with ssh - start pine) or with my phone.
  6.    #6  
    You know, if people want to use my server to send mail through and don't have an SMTP server they can use bish.net. I already have it setup. That might be a bad or good idea depending...
    Originally posted by mark3397
    You know, if people want to use my server to send mail through and don't have an SMTP server they can use bish.net. I already have it setup. That might be a bad or good idea depending...
    I'm always up for a challenge. So I'll try to get things set up on my server. But I may end up taking you up on your offer...

Oh, and thanks for the details!
  8.    #8  
    Good luck, I'll be around all weekend long.
    I've had no trouble using my new Treo 600 to download my e-mail off my Roadrunner server, but I just tried to send a message from my Treo and got a "command failed 550 5.7.1. relaying denied" error. Any suggestions on what I need to tweak to be able to send and receive?

Bob
    rbrannon
    Successfully link with pop3 server, but can't get successful smtp send?.

All my account settings are Ok.
    Originally posted by brianj48

and your carrier is?

do you get an error message?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.

RoadRunners SMTP servers are restricted to accepting mail from users on their Cable Modem or dialup network. It won't work from your Sprint phone, POP is fine but you need to use somebody else for SMTP
    Pete
    "Successfully link with pop3 server, but can't get successful smtp send?."

"RoadRunners SMTP servers are restricted to accepting mail from users on their Cable Modem or dialup network. It won't work from your Sprint phone, POP is fine but you need to use somebody else for SMTP "

The SMTP must be provided by your ISP, in this case your carrier. If you are using Sprint, use smtp.sprintpcs.com.

Also, authentication is required for sending, so unless your mail program allows you to set up separate user names for receiving (POP3) and sending (SMTP), you will need to set up 2 different accounts, one for receiving with all your pop info, and one for sending with all your smtp info.
    I have Sprint PCS Treo 600.

Roadrunner mail is received (POP3), can't be sent (SMTP).

Any help appreciated. If Roadrunner restricts SMTP access, is there a workaround to send via that account?

Thanks.