1.    #1  
    Very big error. It is incomprehensible that when one receives a sms it is shown totally in the screen and any person can read it to the one that for example you leave him the telephone to make a call or you are showing him something. Any solution?
    Originally posted by moimhp
    Very big error. It is incomprehensible that when one receives a sms it is shown totally in the screen and any person can read it to the one that for example you leave him the telephone to make a call or you are showing him something. Any solution?
    I have to disagree with your choice of words. How is this behavior incomprehensible when this is how sms has behaved on all Treo models? In fact, I would wager that most people see this as a feature, not an error. Most people enjoy the convenience of reading an incoming message without having to open the sms program. Think about it.

Solutions:

1. Don't give your phone out to anybody. If you do, turn off wireless mode first. All incoming messages will be stored on the SIM until you turn it back on.
    2. Don't have anyone send sensitive info to you via sms...remember that sms is clear text transmission so is inherently insecure while in transit, as well as very likely being stored on your providers SMS gateway. Use pop3 or similar with SMS notifications maybe?
    3. Use encryption. I use PGP to encrypt any sensitive messages before I send it, and have my work encrypt all messages sent to me. There is an extra step involved before reading your message...takes a bit longer....but it cannot be read by unwanted parties.
    4. Search the standard palm software repositories....maybe a 3rd party solution exists for this purpose.
    5. Write to PalmOne and plead to make it an option in SMS to display the message in the notification. Good luck with this one.

Just my 2 cents...
    -Joe
  3.    #3  
    I continue thinking that it is an error.
    It is easier than the system of messages sms
    it works like in all the phones, that is to say, warning
    that you have a message and sending it to the entrance folder.
    I only want to decide when I want to read a message.
    I don't feel like have to tell to my girlfriend that didn't send
    me erotic messages for if in that moment I am teaching
    the phone to the director of my bank.
    I could leave my girlfriend or to look
    for another that didn't send messages of that type.
    I could also stop to meet with the director of my
    bank so that he doesn't ask for that phone so attractive
    that I have. You are very fortunate for not having my problems.
    There was an app for the Treo300 called PBJTime that worked in conjuction with Treohelper that allow for the management of SMS viewing. Potatoho has not yet released a Treo600 compatible version yet, but it probably will provide the functionality you want. On my Treo300, I was able to use PBJTime to automatically copy and delete all or selected SMS to a clipboard for later viewing. Thus my sms inbox only showed those messages I chose not to delete/save while the rest of my sms were available in PBJTime for viewing later. You could also specify a popup box to show all past/present sms if you so desired. It was a really nice app and I hope it gets ported to the Treo600 soon...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  5.    #5  
    I see that you understand my problem. Thank you for your information
    dude I have to think that your issue is not one that most folks would agree with. I might be wrong but I tend to think that most users (me definitely included) do want their SMS messages to be right on the screen and instantly visible and immediately reply-able. So - other than the PBJTime app mentioned above, I doubt you'll have much success getting what you want. But I do wish you luck nonetheless!
    I love this feature as well!

However, if u want to keep things private, until someone updates Pbjtime

a) keep it in your case
    b) turn the brightness and contrast down so it's more difficult to read the screen.
    c) ask your lover to keep the messages in code!
  8.    #8  
    I don't agree with you. If in some moment your you were showing a video to a friend in your treo 600, I don't believe that you liked to receive a personal message of for example your girlfriend in which tells you well the that she spent it last night and your friend can read it. It is the first time that I see a telephone that shows the message entirely. It is as if the company of mail sent you a letter without the envelope. I want to decide when I want to read the sms
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by Cyril
    I love this feature as well!

However, if u want to keep things private, until someone updates Pbjtime

a) keep it in your case
    b) turn the brightness and contrast down so it's more difficult to read the screen.
    c) ask your lover to keep the messages in code!
    It is ok but?
    a) how can I show to my friends for example a video if my treo 600 keep in my case
    b)similar to the a) option
    c) how many phones can send sms in code?, One solution is when I know a new lover do the answer if she have a phone that can code sms.
    If you want to show a video or mp3 playing on your SD card you can always turn the wireless mode off.

You need to learn a special code that only you and your lover can understand.
    This is useful for many purposes
    My girlfriend and I have special phrases that only we can understand.

No need for a special phone, but that would be a cool app - I think there is PGP for Palm OS

http://palmgear.com/index.cfm?fuseac...0&prodID=11164
    moimhp,
    One mans joy is anothers sorrow. I like it the way it is, but agree that it would be nice to have an option in preferances were you could make all incoming SMS private or require a password,or even a passworded folder. An option, if you will. This way everyone is happy.

I think eveyone else is just mad becasue they don't get erotic messages via SMS (neither do I )

Hopefully someone (like Potatoho) will make a work around. Send a PM from this site to Potatoho and ask if they are looking into this, or if it can be done.

Good luck, Matt
    yea, I like the code stuff. My wife and I use stuff like 4683=Love and so on, we started that back in the pager days when you could not send alpha, only numbers.

You do bring up a very good point though, poor timing of a SMS just poping up.

Hang in there, I am sure there will be something soon, your probably not the only person that wants this feature.

Have you tried to email Handsrping about this yet, perhaps they have a beta version of SMS with this feature (like Button T was for the treo300).

Regards, Matt
  13.    #13  
    Grrrrr,,, come on. It s very easy, I only wantread the sms when I want, not when hanspring want. If I desactive wireless mode when I show a video or music to my girlfriend,she can think that I have an other lover, and It is true .
    I thought this thread seemed familuar to me......
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=40506

Like I said, try to email HS and see if there is a Beta version of SMS that may have that feature . PM Potatoho about it?

Reagrds
    ahhh, why can't sprint do sms yet????
    I posted the following to Potatoho:

"Hi there,
    Thank you very much for your Treohelper. It really fills a needed missing functionality from the treo 600.
    Is it possible to add an option in the sms section to go to, say the default launcher, when a new sms comes in. This basically a privacy issue. Alot of us treo users, would like some kind of software that will intercept the new sms and will stop it from showing in screen. I think your software can do that if some how it can just show something else than PBJTime or the mail fetch, ie. go to Launcher screen or maybe the dailer screen. This should be good enough for us right now, but I really believe that there is a market for such an application that will stop new sms's from showing in the screen and will only show some kind of indication, visually showing some detailes like new messages recieved and by persistant audibale sound every so many minutes.
    I hope I was able to explain the idea here and I really belive that you will help us greatly if you just incorporate my initial suggestion. I am even welling to buy it if it become a shareware.
    Hope to here some good news from you and thank you again.
    Best regards,"

Hopefuly he will have time to enhance Treohelper.