Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    I have the cingular unlocked on tmobile and i get an intermittent screeching, when i dial out ..and it totally craps out ..
    HS sent me a replacement and that one echoes for the person on the other end. . .
    unbelievable
    Originally posted by omoanya
    I have the cingular unlocked on tmobile and i get an intermittent screeching, when i dial out ..and it totally craps out ..
    HS sent me a replacement and that one echoes for the person on the other end. . .
    unbelievable
    I have had that screeching sound when dialing out. I would say it happends once every 20 calls. But it just screeches and then dials and everything is fine. Havnt had it stop anything from working. Just annoying.

Now the echo. Is this with speakerphone? or everything? Explain. I have the problem only when using the speakerphone. Its so bad I cant even use it. I too have had a replacement and still the same problem.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    he screeching was frequen on day 1 and now is more interrmittent on the original phone

echo is just with the speakerphone ..
    its one of the main reasons i bought this phone ... now im considering a refund and going to cry in the corner!
    I woudnt give up just yet. The echo HAS todo with the anti echo logic software on the phone. I am pretty sure when they figure out what is wrong they can send us a software (ROM) update to fix it.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Ok, i'll hang in there with you ...Further testing revealed that the echo is activated by the speaker phone when you begin to turn it up ... if you start at a low volume and keep it @ 3 pegs or less, it doesnt seem to kick in ...
    Ohhh! Nice tip. I will try that.
    If you look at the design of the 600 and consider the placement of the speaker on the rear plus the microphone, you have the potential for echo/feedback in Speakerphone mode. The feedback occurs when some of the sound from the speaker enters the microphone and is replayed thru the speaker again with a slight delay. If screeching occurs it is because the effect tends to magnify itself.

I have found that two things help a lot. If you are having a conference call with the phone in speakerphone mode, put the phone face down on the table. This makes the audio loud and mitigates sound traveling into the mic.

Secondly, if you put the phone in speakerphone mode while holding it in your hand, avoid creating a cup beneath the phone with your hand which might channel sound from the speaker to the mic. This is not the way speakerphones are designed to be used (in the hand) so a little care is needed not to funnel speaker sounds to the mic.

One final thought on echo, if you hear an echo on your Treo the echo is being created by the other persons phone. When the Treo creates the echo, the other person will complain of echo.