1.    #1  
    Went through my 2nd hard reset last night to erase everything added since getting my Treo 1 week ago. The reason this time was that I suddenly found that when trying to add a bookmark or goto a URL in Blazer, the Treo reset itself on the 2nd character entered!

I've read many posts here how some users were able to use some software just fine while others experienced serious problems. Combining this with my own experience, I have concluded that either:

(1) The Treo 600 OS is inherently unstable. This wouldn't surprise me since I have gone through this with every first release of anything I've ever adopted. I accept this as the risk of being an early adopter and will just look forward to the first firmware upgrade/patch HS offers.

-or-

(2) The Treo OS is _very_ sensitive to incompatible software. This makes sense too since it is a much more complex device than my Palm Tungsten T.

Any Treo techies care to comment on the above?

Since I dearly love my Treo, I accept either or both of the above. My solution for now is that I will no longer blindly install any "non-commercial" software that doesn't specifically claim Treo 600 support. I'm fairly patient so can wait for a new release of software I want to use (e.g. BugMe!) that the maker says supports the Treo 600.

Since I support the open source movement, this does not mean I won't install _any_ non-commercial software, but I will be much more guarded if/when I do.

One critical tip my experience has surfaced is the need for revision control. I'd have been much worse off if I didn't routinely practice this in the first few weeks with a new device. After a hotsync I copy the backup directory on my PC to a date/time stamped directory. I can then revert to any previous state by doing a hard reset and hostsync using the appropriate directory copy.

I LOVE my Treo but I am also realistic about its newness.
    You seem to be saying that you have two problems:
    1. You have some instability after upgrading to a Treo
    2. Some of your old software does not yet work on Treo 600

The second issue is one that affects any Palm user going to Palm OS 5.x. It is slightly exacerbated by the Treo 600 having 160x160 rez screen. Any software with problems running on 600 is likley to get a quick fix if you mail the developer. Developers are very happy to expand their market.

The first issue you mentioned seems to be a combination of migrated software and also a bug that is known to affect Blazer. The bug is where the URL guessing database becomes corrupt and should be deleted. Use Filez or another file manager to delete the files Web URL Autofill and Web Find AutoFill.

I am pretty sure I have the same 600 as you but I find it rock solid. It hardly ever crashes. I had to forego som old games I liked like Galax which dont run under OS 5. I also migrated a few applications I probably should not have at my first synchronization - the quarantining aplication in the installer did not catch all th bad baggage in my Backup folder. I went back and moved out the content of my Backup folder, hard reset the Treo and resynced without any stuff from the Backup folder. Everything was stable and no prolems. I then went back to the Backup folder copy and installed only files that I recognized and knew should be moved over one by one. If you dont know what a file is dont move it. One exception to this may be your Saved Preferences file - this is lke the registry on Palm OS. If you registered software in the past under your userame, it may be a good idea to reinstall this file to save you having to reregister your purchased software.

I love my 600. Best phone I have ever owned!
    Originally posted by Poryphyron
    One exception to this may be your Saved Preferences file - this is lke the registry on Palm OS. If you registered software in the past under your userame, it may be a good idea to reinstall this file to save you having to reregister your purchased software.
    I thought the Saved Prefs file was one of the files you're NOT supposed to reinstall (due to the fact the file contains device specific settings in addition to third party software reg codes). Or am I confusing this file with the UNsaved Prefs file?
    I've noticed quite a few random resets since I got my Treo. I don't know what software I have installed that's causing them, but I have noticed them. I haven't really been concerned enough to do anything about it though - it takes so little time to reset it, and it turns on Wireless Mode automatically - it really doesn't bother me at all.

I will say that Newpen was causing a large number of resets. I think some of my resets may be related to Graffiti Anywhere, but I'm not sure.
    Try entering ##377 on the phone pad after a reset to see what caused your Treo to reset. This will allow you to access the error log and see which 3rd party app may be causing the error...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions