Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    fyi ... my local Best Buy flyer lists SanDisks' 256 MB SD card for $49.99. This is the out the door price -- no rebate nonsense. Sale starts 6 a.m. Friday, November 28. Good luck!
    Thanks for the heads up! I'll definitely get one of those if no other store has a comparable offer. Sorry, but that 6AM Best Buy line is a long cold hell. Last year you really needed to get in line by 5 to get anything decent. Still, it is one of my favorite places to go
    For those looking for something a bit bigger and wanting a good deal:

Buy.com has the Sandisk 512MB SD Card for $144.58. Be sure and use the free shipping coupon that's expiring today too.

eCOST has the Kingston 512MB SD for a low $144 - $15 rebate = $129 shipped free, $4.95 handling fee though.
    You might want to be careful of SanDisk cards. They have generally been slow and many people have issues with them. I have a variety of cards on my desk and ran some benchmarks using a program called VFSMark.

(Higher is better)
    Card -----------------------------------------------
    Panasonic 256 MB 681
    Toshiba 64 MB 481
    SanDisk 256 MB 263

You can see that the SanDisk card is less than half the speed of the Panasonic card. Granted the Panasonic card cost $74.99, but I think it is worth it for the speed and quality.

Personally I'm sticking with the Panasonic cards.
    Interesting, thanks.
    I recently added Backup man to my 600 and already owned a 256 MB SD SanDisk and bought another Sandisk 32MB MMC just for back up purposes. Didn't realize that is was only an MMC card, I meant to get an SD not MMC card. But after exploring around to see what the differences were between the 2 formats and learned from both "Backup Man" and Sandisk FAQ that SD is much faster than MMC, I don't see any differences in speed when I perform a back up with both cards. The SD card didn't seem to back up any faster than the MMC card. Wonder if that is just the SanDisks or I would have noticed a big difference if I used say the Panasonics or Toshiba?
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Before buying a SanDisk card, make sure you know what you're getting into. I wrote an article at Tapland (don't worry about the Zodiac-focus, this article is useful for anyone) recently which includes a link to a chart showing some speed comparisons. See here:
    http://tapland.com/news_arc/?id=47

Bottom line...I would strongly recommend a card manufactured by Panasonic, as these seem to be the fastest, with Toshiba somewhere in the middle, and SanDisks the slowest. Of course, this isn't quite as cut and dry anymore, now that SanDisk has a line of "high performance" cards. Among the manufacturers that use Panasonic cards, I would strongly recommend SimpleTech as they even offer a lifetime warranty and they're easier to come by than Panasonic-labeled cards. The deal linked to in my article may not be in effect any more, but current prices shouldn't be too much different.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    I have had a Treo for 15 months-just got the 600 and LOVE it. I am a basic user-email, news, stocks etc. What would I use a card for?
    I have also heard of the SanDisk problems. I bought sandisk anyway because they were selling them at Costco, and costco has the best return policy.

So far I havnt had a single problem. I have transfered many many mp3's and performed lots of backups. I havnt had an issue with speed or reliability.

My take on it, is that sandisk was one the founders of this technology... and I trust that any issues they had with thier product has been resolved or in the proccess of being resolved.

Its not usually my style togo with a non-sure thing, I would usually go with somthing like the panasonic. The SD card isnt critical to me at this point, and I am wiling to try things out.
    Originally posted by jfscars48
    I have had a Treo for 15 months-just got the 600 and LOVE it. I am a basic user-email, news, stocks etc. What would I use a card for?
    I have a 512 MB Sandisk card. No problems using it, but it can be slow. What I use it for:

Backing up the Treo using BackupMan. Means I can restore things without needing my laptop.

Storing some unimportant programs like games just to save some space in RAM. Some can get large, like Scrabble, if they include large databases.

Storing videos. When I travel, I grab a few TV shows off my ReplayTV using DVArchive, then convert it to an AVI file (using Dr. DivX) which I can view using MMPlayer on the Palm and listen to using headsets. The battery life when using headsets is pretty good compared to using the built-in speaker, and the quality through the headsets is great! The 512MB card has room for about 2 hours of video or more, plus all the other stuff I keep on it.

Storing audiobooks downloaded from Audible.com.
    Originally posted by sgruby
    You might want to be careful of SanDisk cards. They have generally been slow and many people have issues with them. I have a variety of cards on my desk and ran some benchmarks using a program called VFSMark.

(Higher is better)
    Card -----------------------------------------------
    Panasonic 256 MB 681
    Toshiba 64 MB 481
    SanDisk 256 MB 263

You can see that the SanDisk card is less than half the speed of the Panasonic card. Granted the Panasonic card cost $74.99, but I think it is worth it for the speed and quality.

Personally I'm sticking with the Panasonic cards.
    I ran VFSMARK on my Sandisk 256MB SD card. It gota a VFSMark rating of only 134. Why would it be so much lower than your results? This is an interesting mystery. I can't really complain since the card seems to work fine and I don't have any problems. I'll be posting results when I get them for a Kingston 128MB SD card.
    I had a SanDisk 128 and 256MB that I used with a Tungsten-T that I had nothing but problems with. They were very slow, but worse over time the files on them would suddenly become unreadable forcing me to reformat the card to use it. I bought a Lexar as a replacement and it was much faster (at least 4x faster) and I still have it after 1 1/2 year with no problems ever on the Lexar card.

I would strongly recommend staying away from SanDisk SD cards.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Originally posted by jfscars48
    One word, Backup. My treo 300 was once hard reset when I was travelling. I lost all of my contacts information, and phone was practically useless without the address book.
    Originally posted by pokada
    Why would it be so much lower than your results? This is an interesting mystery.
    Speeds will vary depending on the speed of your PDA. I have this chart linked to in my article (linked to above), but here it is directly:

http://vorlon.cwru.edu/~ctp/SecureDigital.txt

Scott
    Originally posted by bcaslis
    I bought a Lexar as a replacement and it was much faster (at least 4x faster) and I still have it after 1 1/2 year with no problems ever on the Lexar card.

I would strongly recommend staying away from SanDisk SD cards.
    Be aware that Lexar doesn't manufacture their own cards. They use to use Panasonic cards (which is probably what you've got), but they now increasingly use SanDisk cards.

Scott
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    I just noticed that on FrIday CompUSA will be offering the same price on the 256 mb cards. Offer good Friday 6am-12n.
    Last edited by JHETZEL; 11/27/2003 at 08:58 AM.
    Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Check out my crazy Golden Retrievers!
    Originally posted by JHETZEL
    I just noticed that on FrIday CompUSA will be offering the same price on the 256 mb cards and $79.99 for 512 MB cards. Offer good Friday 6am-12n.

I think I am going to go for the 512mb.
    I just took a look at the CompUSA circular on line. The 512MB card is Compact Flash, not Secure Digital.

Take a look:

http://www.compusa.com/adproducts/th...hour_front.pdf
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    Originally posted by SprintTreoUser

I just took a look at the CompUSA circular on line. The 512MB card is Compact Flash, not Secure Digital.

Take a look:

http://www.compusa.com/adproducts/th...hour_front.pdf

My bad.... i will correct my post.
    Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Check out my crazy Golden Retrievers!
    Originally posted by pokada

I ran VFSMARK on my Sandisk 256MB SD card. It gota a VFSMark rating of only 134. Why would it be so much lower than your results? This is an interesting mystery. I can't really complain since the card seems to work fine and I don't have any problems. I'll be posting results when I get them for a Kingston 128MB SD card.

I ran my tests on a TapWave Zodiac (in the right slot...it actually has different performance with the other slot). The score you got is really pretty low.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Scott R,

How does the new Sandisk Ultra II line of SD memory cards stack up against the competitors? You think the treo600 would benefit by having this card? Or is the limitation on SD read/write speeds governed by physical contraints in the treo600 itself rather than the memory card?

(Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...bosnation0e-20)
    I really can't tell you for sure, because I haven't tested it myself. Speedwise, they claim similar numbers (10MB/sec). There are two user reviews on that Amazon page, both negative. One is from a Tungsten T3 owner, so I'd ignore that one since it seems like the T3 is more to blame for its SD problems. But the other is from a digital camera owner. Honestly, I still suggest you pay a few bucks more for the SimpleTech. You can get it from Amazon here:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...bosnation0e-20

Scott

PS - And in case anyone's wondering...no, I don't work for SimpleTech.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast