1.    #1  
    since i do a lot of work in classes on public computers i'd like to be able to use my treo as an external hard drive, so that i can store my schoolwork on the MMC card.
    anybody know of a way to easily do that, without installing any extra software on the computers (don't have the rights)
    water created humans to carry it up hills
    Originally posted by PitbuLL
    since i do a lot of work in classes on public computers i'd like to be able to use my treo as an external hard drive, so that i can store my schoolwork on the MMC card.
    anybody know of a way to easily do that, without installing any extra software on the computers (don't have the rights)
    I don't think this is possible w/o installing 3rd party software like Card export or Syncwizard. You best bet is probably to get a usb drive with romvable flash media. That way you can just swap out your SD card from your treo into the usb drive and plug that into the pc...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I was actually wanting to do the same thing. But I also needed a reader/writer for SD for my desktop to transfer those multimedia files faster. I purchased a Lexar JumpDrive Trio that is about the size of thoe USB pendrives but takes either a Memory Stick or a SD. Two birds with one stone.

Cost me $19.99 @ Microcenter

-Rob
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    Sandisk used to give away their USB Cruiser with their cards-- small enough to fit in your pocket...
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

I don't think this is possible w/o installing 3rd party software like Card export or Syncwizard. You best bet is probably to get a usb drive with romvable flash media. That way you can just swap out your SD card from your treo into the usb drive and plug that into the pc...
    Card Export 1.12 with added support for the Treo 600 was released.

http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...26#description

Anyone have any experience with this app?

SyncWizard mishaved in older versions and still misbehaves. Would be great if it worked smoothly.
  6.    #6  
    Thanx for the tip, i'll defenately try this out when i get my treo.
    Sounds great, now i only need to know if it will deliver.
    water created humans to carry it up hills
    Your other alternative is to use this app called Missing Sync. It is only for the Mac OS. It will allow the T600 to be mounted like an ordinary USB hard drive by using the hotsync cable.

A great plus is that it is fully integrated with iTunes and iPhoto as well.

Good luck to you. The price of the app is quite hefty for shareware but it is indispensible for a Mac user. Because of the price, I would suggest just using a usb card reader and keeping that in your backpack.
    My PDA evolution: Apple Newton, Palm III, Visor Deluxe, Treo 300, Treo 600...
    Checked it out.

Installs desktop drivers to enable 2-Way communication between Handheld and PC. No problems there. Very easy to move or copy or delete files to and from HH to PC. Very much like Sony Clie MS Import/Export. One can connect only from HH (I think MSIE can go either way as I recall), but tapping on the "connect" button opens a directory window of the SD card on the desktop, and Explorer reads it as an external drive. From thee is indeed 2-Way. This is basically the non-Clie version of MSIE. Very nice. No need to Hot Sync apps or sound files or use a card reader. Expensive at $20.
    Card Export looks useful, but I see a major problem ahead. Hotsyncing files onto the SD card is painfully slow. I synced about 100mb of MP3s onto my card the first night I got it and it took all night (about 8 hours). If the transfer rate is anything close using Card Export then I would much rather get a reader!
    I just tried it out and it's VERY fast compared to HotSync. It seems to work almost as fast as putting the SD into a reader/writer. ( i.e. 2.5MB in ~10-15sec )

This really gets me to wondering what the real reason for slow Toshiba write performance is on Palm OS.

-Rob
    Originally posted by Rob600
    I just tried it out and it's VERY fast compared to HotSync. It seems to work almost as fast as putting the SD into a reader/writer. ( i.e. 2.5MB in ~10-15sec )

This really gets me to wondering what the real reason for slow Toshiba write performance is on Palm OS.

-Rob
    I find it fast enough and much faster than Hot Sync, but not faster than a USB 2 reader.
    I just installed it. Damn that is fast! Certainly not as fast as a USB 2.0 reader since card transfer rate is faster than USB 1.1. Well worth $20 if I get to use it as a USB drive AND don't need an external card reader.
    Originally posted by Rob600

-Rob
    FYI, just understand one of the major reasons for the slow speed of hotsync is the error checking and etc. Since Card export doesn't error check, it will of course be significantly faster than hotsync

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    This application looks terrific. I noticed that one of the requirements state:

"- direct USB connection to desktop computer (no hubs please). "

My cradle is connected to a hub which sits on my desk (the computer is in a closet in the next room).

Has anyone with their cradle connected to a USB hub used Softick's Card Export (http://www.softick.com/)? If so, have you encountered any problems?
    Although I never had a usb device requesting a direct connect specifically, I have seen problems when using power hungry devices through unpowered hubs and port replicators. Since PDA's with USB connections typically charge from USB power I would think this could be a concern. A powered hub could be used to check that theory.