1.    #1  
    Can someone else try this?

I started up the web browser, and hit the "www"-button to manually type in a URL.
    I started typing the web address, then suddenly the keyboard backlight went out as if I wasn't typing anything.

I'm pretty sure it's supposed to stay on as long as I'm typing, right? And I didn't take a 2-3 seconds break or anything, I was hammering out those letters!

GSM Treo 600 unlocked, bought from Mobilefly in Singapore.
    HW revision B.

/Christopher
    same behaviour here.
    cingular gsm version.
    Same here... typed www. and then... lights out Now, that's pretty useless if it's night!

(Unlocked Orange branded GSM)
    www.gsmworld.com
    Here is a tip that should allow you to work around this issue (read the last bit):
    http://treo600essentials.com/smartfa...wer=1068824749
    I don't think that was the point.

Mine does the same thing, SPCS Rev B
    Highly Mobile iPhone User

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
    Originally posted by JoeTampa
    I don't think that was the point.

Mine does the same thing, SPCS Rev B
    I disagree - that was exactly the point.

This happens on ALL Treo's and is not a bug - it's a feature. The default behaviour is to light up for a bit then turn off allowing you to check something quickly without draining too much battery.

They created night mode for when you need to work for longer periods - like when you need to type in a URL at night. It dims the screen slightly and keeps the keyboard lit until you toggle it off.

Again, the tip is here: http://treo600essentials.com/smartfa...wer=1068824749
    I "believe" this is by design...kind of lame if you ask me. The keyboard will turn on for everything else (tap screen, press hardware buttons etc) but will not remain lit when you are USING IT??? Come on now. This device gives Spocks tricorder a run for its money. On another note I guess it makes since that it would be on during the day as well if they made it stay on while typing. The work around is option key + Screen light it will dim the display and leave the keyboard on. How much would one of those little photo lum sensors have been anyways??? Or maybe make it a setting you can customize.. I use a little program called mlights.
    May not be a bug but irratating. I don't consider that a feature. BTW did you notice if you backspace the light comes back on?
    All the same, thanks Derek for the tip.

In the user guide, it says in section 'Using the Keyboard'
    The backlight will turn off when the keyboard is not in use

I am typing (therefore, using the keyboard) as fast as I can... so surely, it should stay on, at least while I am typing.

Actually... reading it again. This feature is when you ARE in night-mode. So, in a way it does make sense. If you are not in night-mode, why would you need a backlit keyboard ?
    www.gsmworld.com
    Originally posted by nzmoko
    If you are not in night-mode, why would you need a backlit keyboard ?
    Exactly.
    I think it makes plenty of sense. I wouldn't want it on all the time during the day... generally speaking you'll be using it less in the dark. So switching to "night mode" or whatever they call it (which leaves the keyboard backlighting on) seems to be quite logical and a nice feature. However, I agree that it would be best used if there was a setting to make it automatically occur after a certain time of day.
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    Why not have the camera check the available light level and turn on the keyboard if it is dark in the room?
    Originally posted by kamalot
    Why not have the camera check the available light level and turn on the keyboard if it is dark in the room?
    Interesting idea but then it would be on all the time if it were in say, a holster or pocket.

I like the function - P method although I do wish HS picked a a more intuitive letter - like the N (for night time) or maybe the B (for backlight) or K (for keyboard) or even L (for light), but P? Sheesh.

I will give HS credit for at least screenprinting the backlight symbol on the actual key. And the P key is in a good location at the top right of the thumb board making it easy to find in the dark. Maybe there was a method to their madness?
    Last edited by derek985; 11/26/2003 at 09:25 AM.
    Originally posted by kamalot
    Well considering how well our T6 Cam works in low light I don't think I want it doing that. I mean if that were the case you might as well leave it on concidering how well it "senses" low light already. Well then again if the camera sensed all Blue (like the color of a low light pic) it would turn on the "blue" keyboard light.

Sorry couldn't help myself..