Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Prior to using the Treo 600, I have been using Nokia mobile phones for several years. There's a very basic and useful feature in the Nokias which doesn't appear to be available in the Treo 600.

There's a global setting in the Nokias that will request a report notification from your mobile service provider for each SMS sent. I found this to be a particularly useful feature since not all SMSes are, for several possible reasons, sent instantaneously: the receiving phone could be switched off, or be out of range, or the mobile service provider's server could be particularly busy.

What the report notification feature does is to request a report from the mobile server when the SMS is successfully sent to the receiver, i.e. the sender is notified when the SMS has actually been delivered to the recipient.

I've been using this "return receipt" feature for several years now and am disappointed to find that the Treo 600 apparently does not have it?!? Can anyone shed some light on this? Or perhaps suggest a third-party application, or even a hack, that would allow me to regain this feature?

I know not many people actually makes use of this feature, but once you've tried it, you'll never want to go back. There's nothing worse than wondering whether a message has been successfully delivered or is lost in space...
    yeah i also really miss this feature from my siemens s45... any leads anybody????
    It appears to be supported in the API, as quoted from the Treo600DevelopersGuide:

Sending Options:

When an SMS message is sent to the network, several options may be defined by the sending entity. The sending options are defined in the structure SMSSendOptions.

struct SMSSendOptions {
    Boolean freeReply;
    Boolean statusReport;
    UInt8 validity;
    };

freeReply
    This indicates to the network that the sender of the message is charged with the cost of a reply to this message.

statusReport
    This indicates if the network sends a report indicating whether the message was delivered to the recipient. If a status report is requested for a segmented message, the SMS library requests only a status report for the first part of the message. If a status report is requested for a message sent to a group of recipients, the SMS library requests a status report for each recipient.

validity
    This defines how long the network stores a message if it cannot be sent to the recipient immediately.

I guess it's just not supported by the user-interface of the built-in SMS app?

Maybe some smart developer could write a hack that intercepts all calls to PhnLibSendMessage and enable the statusReport flag?
    I'll second that!

a must have for all serious GSM phones!
    If I remeber correctly, this can be done when you send the message by putting some text in the message.

I think this was discussed back when the 270 came out.

Try a search for "return receipt"

there were a couple of these codes, but the only one I remember is "#," which will break up the sms.. the stuff befor the "#" is the email title and the stuff after is the body.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    i've been looking on this forum and elsewhere, without finding (so far) a definitive answer...

here they suggest putting ! as first char in the sms (but mol says it doens't work with his french provider/sim card)

here somebody says that the code to use is *0# at the beginning of the text, but then (if it works) the recipient cannot reply to the message.

somewhere else i found this other code: *NOT#

anybody check these codes please?
    Originally posted by giuppi
    *0# at the beginning of the text, but then (if it works) the recipient cannot reply to the message.

somewhere else i found this other code: *NOT#

anybody check these codes please?
    Tried both on Orange France GSM - Doesn't work.

Bye,

Ton
  8.    #8  
    I've tried all the work-around suggestions here but it doesn't work with my mobile service provider. I'm in Malaysia and my service provider is Maxis.

Any other solutions, anyone?
    www.maxTEXT.com

has delivery reports but - only in its Standard Version
    running with Palms and separate mobiles like Nokias.

On my question to maxTEXTs very helpful Support Team - about
    6 months ago - I was told that the delivery
    + status report option in maxTEXT TE (Treo Edition)
    is currently greyed -

as there - for sure is an option for status reports in the API- ,
    but all ROMs and real devices they have had access to, to test this feature,
    simply ignored this set flag in all Treos 180/270.
    (thats why they temporarily greyed it.)

FYI: I am still not willing to buy a 1000.- USD T600 here
    in Europe - as the T270 is currently 280 Euro here in Europe,
    the wanted 900 Euros for a T600 is far too expensive for my perspective -
    so I have no real information if and how it runs on the T600.

Markus
    Well, I can confirm it doesn't work on the Sprint CDMA Treo 600
    Originally posted by Ksilebo
    Well, I can confirm it doesn't work on the Sprint CDMA Treo 600
    For sure it doesnt.

maxTEXT is and was always GSM-centric
    as SMS itself is GSM centric.

As CDMA on the Treo 300 never ever was able to do native two way SMS from its Network Design , (just the "mail trick" via Treo300SMS) as well as on the T600 CDMA is not able to do this currently until a part in the network design is changed,

maxTEXT should currently run on the T180 / T270 + T600 GSM only.

If CDMA ever gets its SMS twoway functionality (when exactly -September ? / November ? / January ?)
    I am also not sure if delivery reports will be included.

Markus
    Hello,
    This works with the Orange UK GSM version of the T600:
    Type RCT as the first characters of your SMS to get a delivery report.
    Andy.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    RCT Seems to work for Sprint PCS CDMA - USA
    For me at least
    Last edited by rudelover2; 11/30/2003 at 09:59 PM.
    hey that's cool.. if a bit messy.

so still looking for someone to hack the sms functionality to do delivery reports in a more elegant way.. but for now this will do!
    Originally posted by MarkusSchneider

For sure it doesnt.
    I was just giving it a shot.
    Originally posted by AndyM
    Hello,
    This works with the Orange UK GSM version of the T600:
    Type RCT as the first characters of your SMS to get a delivery report.
    Andy.
    Hi,

Doesn't seem to work on the Orange GSM carrier in France and worse: If the receiver uses the message as a chat, not only there is no receipt but the answer doesn't come either...

I'll try it with my wife's phone tonight!

Bye,

Ton
    Tried this RTC thing but no go. The letters just appear in the receivers message and that's it...

Ton :-(
    Originally posted by Tonio78370
    Tried this RTC thing but no go. The letters just appear in the receivers message and that's it...

Ton :-(
    It may be a typing error on your part - try RCT rather than RTC (as in your message). Also, make sure you use all capital letters - don't let the Treo put 'Rct', as this doesn't work.
    Looks like the different phone companies have different codes.
    Here are some from Telenor, the largest operator in Norway:

*K#
    if you start the message with this you'll receive three different confirmations: "delivered", "saved" or "can't be delivered".

*S 168#
    this will postpone delivery of the message for one week (168 hours).

/Christopher
    Originally posted by kmwmtd

It may be a typing error on your part - try RCT rather than RTC (as in your message). Also, make sure you use all capital letters - don't let the Treo put 'Rct', as this doesn't work.
    Sorry, was a typo.

I added RCT and it didn't work.

Thanks,

Ton
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast