Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've been using this car mount for a day and I think it works great. It's a generic brand called "Bell" and was purchased from Wal-Mart for a measly $9.84 (can't beat that price!).

The only concern I have is that it is a magnetic mount, but that shouldn't be a problem for the Treo 600, right? Please give me your input. I've included images so that you can see it in action.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  2.    #2  
    Here's the mount alone without the Treo. The two nubs at the bottom keep it from slipping off during harsh bumps. It has a felt-like area where the phone magnetically attaches so as to not scratch and damage the phone.

I attached it to the air vent, but it comes with a mount that uses an adhesive to attach to your dash, but you've gotta find a flat area to mount it.
  3.    #3  
    Here's the generic packaging in case you're looking for it at Wal-Mart. I found it in the auto section, not in the cell phone/electronics area.
    Interesting. I can't see why a magnetic mount would hurt -- but then again maybe it would affect the RAM or ROM.... Anyone else?
    Magnet+Computer=Trouble
    Considering the thread that discusses the stronger-than-normal unshielded magnet in the Treo's speaker, this may not be such an issue.

Magnets erase data on magnetic-based media such as hard disks and floppies; I wouldn't imagine they would bother SD cards or other RAM. Heck, my Treo has already been through the airport X-Ray several times, and I would think that the magnetic field there is several times the field from this holder.
    Highly Mobile iPhone User

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
    I'm using a different magnetic clip in my car and together with the magnet speaker it's rock solid. It's the cheapest handsfree car kit I've ever seen.
    I wish I'd known this yesterday - I was at Wal-Mart last night!
    I use this mount in my car. It is great because it has a windshield mount setup so that I can have the treo "floating" a little to the right and above my stereo. I posted in another thread about playing mp3's and calls through the speakers in my car.

Love this thang!
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by JoeTampa
    Considering the thread that discusses the stronger-than-normal unshielded magnet in the Treo's speaker, this may not be such an issue.

Magnets erase data on magnetic-based media such as hard disks and floppies; I wouldn't imagine they would bother SD cards or other RAM. Heck, my Treo has already been through the airport X-Ray several times, and I would think that the magnetic field there is several times the field from this holder.
    This was what I was thinking as well. We were always afraid of getting our floppy disks close to magnets, but I can't imagine that the ROMs and flash SD cards we use today (and on the Treo 600) would be affected by the magnet. I also forgot about the speaker magnet at the rear of the Treo 600. That's probably why it holds so firmly to the mount.

I was afraid of the camera lens plastic cover getting scratched, but the fact that the mount has a felt-like cover and that the lens edge protrudes protects it. You can even put your own protective material over the felt if you don't trust it. It may be useful to use some type of thin tacky material to maintain high levels of friction.

After using it until now, it seems the magnetic mount does not affect phone calls or network usage. The signal level seems consistent with what I normally see while driving around town.
    Originally posted by rhong
    I've been using this car mount for a day and I think it works great. It's a generic brand called "Bell" and was purchased from Wal-Mart for a measly $9.84 (can't beat that price!).
    Thanks for the heads up, I will be hunting one of these things at my local wally world my next trip out.
    No good deed goes unpunished
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    I used something like this on my old Pocket PC. To make that work I had to stick on a piece of metal on the back.

Did you guys need to do that to get this to work for the T600? Or is the little internal magnet work with the magnet on the holder?

Thanks
  13.    #13  
    No modification needed. I use the Nokia case, so when I pull the phone out of the case, it's bare. The speakerphone speaker comes out of the rear of the Treo and, from what I hear, the battery takes up the length of the device and is also in the rear, so it holds quite tight without any modification necessary.

I'm into getting less expensive, but decent quality accessories that work well with the Treo. The Nokia case was only $14.99 at Target and this mount is under $10, so it's a bargain. Paid enough for the Treo, but don't wanna skimp on an accessory that might drop the Treo and damage it. Hopefully the magnet doesn't have any long term effects.
    I bought the Bell magnet mount at Walmart the other day. It was only $7.64 at my store.

It works great and after 3 days I have seen no adverse effects.

I also bought a dc to ac converter that plugs into my 12v jack and now i just use my AC charger in the car. I can also charge my laptop with this.

Cheaper is better.

Woof
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    I bought one of those universal belt clips that has the adhesive knob that sticks on the back of the phone. I rarely use the belt clip part, but it did come with an ad adhesive holder that i affixed to the left side of my rear view mirror. then I simply hang my phone on my mirror. It is a great level for viewing when a call come in and I am driving (no fumbling for the phone) and at that level I can use the speakerphone and drive. If anyone wants to see how it looks, I can post a pix.
    Carl
    Post a pic of the rearview mirror handsfree kit!
    Interesting...I'm actually waiting for the Proclip mount for the Treo600 to be released. I emailed them and they said they should have one out shortly FYI...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  18.    #18  
    I considered this solution, but was not sure where to install the knob/clip. I also don't trust that it will hold the Treo under stressful conditions. If it were to fall, I have nothing to protect the plastic casing.

I know the manufacturers promote how well the adhesive is and all, but I can't get over my skepticism. I'd be interested in the pics (can't see 'em from the mobile version of Tc if you have them posted). Sounds like a good solution though.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    The Bell Magnetic holder is cool. You don't have to hassle with clips, etc. to put your phone in place. The magnet holds great. I've had other phone holders and did not like the hassle of most of them on a day-to-day basis.

I had a thought about installing a FM transmitter inside of the Bell Magnetic holder. The holder has 3 small screws on the back and the holder comes in two pieces. Looks like there would be room for an FM transmitter inside without its case. Hmmm...I'll have to do some hacking...I'll report back...breaking out dremel tool now
    Hmmmm... My car mount cost $0.00. I'm using the cup holder in the center console. Let me know if you want a pic.

NCTreo600
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast