Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    If you mod your cup holder somehow so that the charger can access the bottom of the Treo while it's antenna side up, I wanna see pics!
  2.    #22  
    AirData, any update on your hack?

Anyone else find this mount? I've searched some Wal-Marts in my area and can't find another one for a buddy of mine who also has a Treo. Remember to look in the automotive section. Bell sells a bunch of other automotive items in the automotive section.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Expert on magnets here.

Magnets are considered living objects. Drop them, heat them, they'll change.

I do not like another magnet so near the Treo speakerphone magnet. As it is the speakerphone is at the edge of poor performance in terms of clarity/reberb...to subject it to a magnet could change things!
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    Ok...I bought the Bell Magnetic Mount and it seems like a good solution...but I am one of those people with the little nobby on the back of the phone for my belt clip. Since I have the nobby my Treo wouldn't sit flat against the Bell Mount. Break out the exacto

First I unscrewed the three screws on the back to gain access to the inside of the mount. You will notice a metal plate. Behind that plate is the round magnet which holds the phone in place. That magnet is directly behind the foam on the front side. There is a manufactured hole in the plastic to allow the magnet to sit right behind the foam. The magnet and foam are held together by an adhesive. On the front side of the mount you can tell where the magnet is located by a small ring indention, with an exacto knife I cut around this ring and removed the magnet from the back leaving a hole in the mount (see 001.jpg) I then just pulled off the phone from the magnet.

I then relocated the magnet lower inside the mount and let it set in some elmers glue over night to secure it in place. (see 002.jpg) The magnet is now holding the phone thru the plastic and the foam of the mount instead of directly behind the phone. It still holds the Treo securely. Only a really rough jolt will knock it off the mount...I am talking about a really large pot hole that would probably do damage to your vehicle as well

Inside of the back half of the mount I then broke off the long skinny plastic stand-offs opposite the magnet (in its orginal location). These got in the way when I put my Treo on the mount and put the nobby thru the hole. (see 002.jpg and 003.jpg) I then reassembled the mount. Now to attach it to my car.

Personally I am not a fan of vent mounts. The weight of the Treo pivots my vent to a direction I don't want and also covers the vent. So I went the way of the adhesive plate that came with the mount. Well lets just say that lasted about 6 hrs....then fell off. The adhesive on that flat plate just sucks. So....I got two small metal angles and bent them to the angle needed to attach to my dash. I then drilled two small holes in my dash and attached the bolts thru them. They are on a downward facing surface that won't be noticable when the mound it removed. (see 004.jpg, 005.jpg, and 006.jpg)
    I am also using a cassette tape adapter to pipe the audio thru my speakers. The tape player just so happens to be right behind my phone so I just route the extra wire behind the face plate of the dash .

I just finished the project tonight. Overall I am fairly satisfied with the angle the phone is held. I am going on a road trip tommorrow and will get to try it out. I will keep you posted.

I would like to hear any comments or about your bell magnetic mount mod.

Loondog
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    another pic
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    opps...another pic
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    for some reason TC isn't receiving all of my pictures....will try to keep posting them.
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    another pic
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    another pic
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    and another
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    and finally ....phew
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    I mounted the Bell Magnetic Mount to the base mount of my proclip (treo 300). Works great. I've been using for about three weeks with no adverse results on my 600.
    Quote Originally Posted by NCTreo600
    Hmmmm... My car mount cost $0.00. I'm using the cup holder in the center console. Let me know if you want a pic.

NCTreo600
    Wow! I'm using that same mount! I also got mine for free! Not only that, but i have two different cup holders to choose from. I can also post pics if anyone wants them.
    Ryan
    What is on the back of your Treo in 003.jpg?
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbear
    What is on the back of your Treo in 003.jpg?
    Most likely egrips.
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    Yes, they are egrips

If your Treo goes naked, I highly recommend them.
    Using a magnetic holder for several months.
    No adverse effects on the phone. Too early to tell on the driver.

Appears to be half the size of the Bell unit.
    Designed to accommodate the belt clip thingy.

Purchased it at an airport store (Newark?) specializing in mobile products.

Will try to take a pic and post it soon.
    Have an extra one still in packaging and if I can find it, will post the mfr name.

~Picture of deluxe magnet now included.
    Last edited by Bertone; 07/06/2004 at 08:13 PM.
  18.    #38  
    Interesting design. If you don't glue or use adhesive to stick a belt notch to the back of your bare Treo, the magnetic mount won't work well, will it? The Bell mount is big, but it has a little plastic at the bottom to keep the Treo from slipping down during bumpy rides.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12