Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have a Cingular T600 with TMo service. Voice calls work fine, but when I try to make a data connection, I get an error message that GPRS is not available. The phone then reconnects and displays the green arrows on the signal meter to indicate a CSD connection. I called TMo and the tech told me everything was fine. Can anyone verify that this is normal behavior, or should I ask for a better TMo technician?
    USR Pilot 5000 >> Treo 600
    Thought I saw this mentioned here a few days ago...green arrows, CSD. I think you're okay but do a search on green arrows and CSD to make sure.
    What you're seeing is "normal", and you've got a GPRS connection...

Marc
  4.    #4  
    I hate it when error messages are "normal". Thanks for the feedback.
    TMO has 3 networks one can connect to (Prefs>Network)

1. T-Mobile Internet
    2. T-Mobile VPN
    3. T-Zones

Once you've connected via T-Mobile Internet, that becomes the default network, until it fails (for whatever reason), then your Trio will attempt to connect to VPN (next in line), which will get you that error, unless you have VPN. Just connect again manually to T-Mobile Internet to re-establish default. Actually, if you attempt immediately to reconnect from Blazer after the failure it will eventually look for T-Mobile Internet again. Do it two or three times. You can connect to either T-Mobile Internet or T-Zones; both will work, though I think T-Zones will give you somewhat less functionality. Not sure of the details. Search "T-Zones" and find the other posts on this.

Also, yes, for GPRS green arrows on the 600 instead black triangle on the 270.
  6.    #6  
    I guess one of the things that's still bugging me is that the Treo 600 manual shows that those green arrows on the signal meter mean a CSD connection, and that GPRS should display another triangle within the meter. If this is a misprint, I'll accept that the green arrows I keep seeing are for the GPRS connection.

Also, I tried out a bandwith utility called bmeter, and my data connection averages about 3500 bytes/sec, with a peak rate of about 5800 bytes/sec. Maybe I'm just spoiled by my cable modem.
    Okay, I'm a bit confused. Maybe someone can clear this up for me.

I also have a Cingular phone with a T-Mo SIM. I have signed up for the unlimited internet data plan but am a little unhappy that I have to pay some more for SMS messaging (text message plan) and Picture Messaging (MMS through T-Zones).

I don't suppose having my network settings to T-Mobile Internet will automagically send my text messages and pictures through the internet subscription instead?
    When I had my T-Mobile Pocket PC, a Tier 2 Tech told me not to use the standard GPRS listed in the pnone. He had me create a new connectin and I cannot remember all the settings, but it had "getmorespeed.t-mobile.com" as one of the settings. He also told me to enter "internet3.voicestream.com" somewhere. He said this will offer better speeds and overall browsing experience.

Since I no longer have the Pocket PC, I cannot post the settings.

Does anyone out there know what I'm talking about? If so, can you post them? They may help with the GPRS browsing experience on the 600 as well.
  9. ddr
    are you guys saying you can use the treo with on cell company but also use a diff company for the web browsing? is that true. i am on att but can i use t mobile for web stuff?
    ddr
    Originally posted by Jay21
    When I had my T-Mobile Pocket PC, a Tier 2 Tech told me not to use the standard GPRS listed in the pnone. He had me create a new connectin and I cannot remember all the settings, but it had "getmorespeed.t-mobile.com" as one of the settings. He also told me to enter "internet3.voicestream.com" somewhere. He said this will offer better speeds and overall browsing experience.

Since I no longer have the Pocket PC, I cannot post the settings.

Does anyone out there know what I'm talking about? If so, can you post them? They may help with the GPRS browsing experience on the 600 as well.
    I too had a XDA but these settings are locked by TMO on this phone. I assume a network setting tells the phone to lock the settings. As one of the previous replies noted, you get three possible choices under Network - T-Zones, T-MO Internet, T-MO VPN. Over the past 24 hours TMO has been doing something with the GPRS component of their network in Austin and I have been seeing a lot of failures and my network choice has been rolling from TMO Internet to TMO VPN (which was actually working for an hour or so!?) to T-Zones (I think) I didn't actually catch it on T-Zones. As notes, T-Zones will work but I think many useful ports are blocked on T-Zones.

Also, I was unable to send MMS messages prior to last night when out of the blue I received an MMS from TMO titled "Text-Only Message" or something to that effect. Following that, MMS works fine. Very odd. As noted on the website, I have been sending myself MMS messages to self provision but it just wasn't working.
    http://www.pdaology.com

the web directory for pda and phone-enabled sites. over 1000 sites in the directory!
    Originally posted by ddr
    are you guys saying you can use the treo with on cell company but also use a diff company for the web browsing? is that true. i am on att but can i use t mobile for web stuff?
    No, your voice and data must be provisioned by the same company.

the web directory for pda and phone-enabled sites. over 1000 sites in the directory!
    Found this on howardforums, tmobile forums
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...hreadid=109431

"--
    Data Bearer: GPRS
    AP name: internet2.voicestream.com
    Username: None
    Prompt Password: No
    Password: **** (whatever was in there for default)
    Authentication: Normal
    Gateway IP: 216.155.165.50
    Homepage: None
    Connection Security: Off
    Session Mode: Temporary (default is Permanent) (not sure the diffrence in this)

Under Advanced Settings
    Phone IP Address: Dynamic
    Primary Name Server: 216.155.175.170
    Second Name Server: 215.155.175.171
    Server Address: None
    Port number: 8080 (Default is 0 and he said 80 may work but he prefered 8080)

I know alot of you may already know or have this in your phone, but if not maybe this might fix your problems.... This information will work for your Unlimited GPRS acct that is $19.99"
    No, you need to pay for SMS. But their cost for a package is pretty cheap and if you only send a few, it's only 5 cents each. You do get some incoming SMS free (it may vary by plan, for me it's 50).

For those messing with settings, I would really recommend not doing this. I'm using the T-Mobile Internet setting on a Cingular Treo 600 and it works fine. You don't need to change a thing. The built-in settings on a Treo 270 also worked fine. There is no need to change anything.

Originally posted by Cliffy15
    Okay, I'm a bit confused. Maybe someone can clear this up for me.

I also have a Cingular phone with a T-Mo SIM. I have signed up for the unlimited internet data plan but am a little unhappy that I have to pay some more for SMS messaging (text message plan) and Picture Messaging (MMS through T-Zones).

I don't suppose having my network settings to T-Mobile Internet will automagically send my text messages and pictures through the internet subscription instead?
    I know alot of you may already know or have this in your phone, but if not maybe this might fix your problems.... This information will work for your Unlimited GPRS acct that is $19.99
    I ordered a cingular treo 600 and plan to get a Tmo SIM for it. I've heard a number of things about Tmo plans and I'm a little confused, and would like insight from people experienced with Tmobile service.

I hear there is a $19.99 unlimited internet service available. I dont see this anywhere on their website. On their website, their offer says its $29.99 for "T-Mobile Internet Unlimited Plan"

All I need is the best internet/data plan available, that is unlimited, and where i'll be paying per minute on all voice calls (not T-Zones though, as I hear from other posts that this does not work well with Treo 600s). I only plan to use this for data anyway, and the voice calls will only be for emergencies.

Thanks for any insight on this, last thing I want is to get the wrong plan and be contractually obligated to pay for what I dont need.
    The $19.99 unlimited internet is option to voice plans. I don't know if it's still the same, but it used to that you have to one of the $39.99 a month or more voice plans to get this (like the get more 600minutes which I have).

The $29.99 unlimited internet is primarily for those without a voice plan like someone who is using it with a PC card in a laptop.

You would probably be best to get one of the lower minute voiceplans and the $19.99 unlimited internet. You will probably need to check what is the least expensive voice plan you can add the unlimited internet to. In my case, I needed national roaming so the 39.99 was it.
    My cingular connection gives me green arrows for GPRS and Black arrows for CSD.

I have like 2800 rollover minutes that will start expiring in February so I cut back my plan until then and am using more CSD time for browsing.

Still wish Cing had unlimited to 19.99 like t-mo
    The $19.99 unlimited internet is option to voice plans. I don't know if it's still the same, but it used to that you have to one of the $39.99 a month or more voice plans to get this (like the get more 600minutes which I have).

The $29.99 unlimited internet is primarily for those without a voice plan like someone who is using it with a PC card in a laptop.

You would probably be best to get one of the lower minute voiceplans and the $19.99 unlimited internet. You will probably need to check what is the least expensive voice plan you can add the unlimited internet to. In my case, I needed national roaming so the 39.99 was it.
    the $29.99 Tmobile Unlimited Internet plan allows for per minute calling (20 cents per minute), so does anybody see potential problems with using Treo 600 and getting this plan?

I plan to use voice calling only for emergencies anyway, so 20 cents per minute would not deter me. The only thing is, if this plan would result in poor service in any way (for example, if it puts me on T-Zones), I would reconsider.
    The $29.99 data plan won't force you to T-Zones or anything so it sounds like this plan would be the best for you.
    TMO is all over the place on the free SMS messaging. I have been with them for over a year and I added the unlimited data plan a while back and I get 50 + 500 free SMS messages. I understand from some posters in various forums that the free SMS options have been reduced or eliminated. I believe that the 50 free SMS messages are associated with my voice plan and the 500 free SMS messages are from my unl. data plan. Also, TMO has given me 50 free loyalty minutes per month. My contract expired several months ago.

I am on the 1000 minutes, $39.99 plan and my wife is on the $39.99 600 minute, 3 day weeken plan and our additional minutes are .40. I would be suprised if TMO gave you .20 minutes with only the $29.99 unlimited data plan (with no voice plan) Can someone confirm this?

Finally, for what it is worth (not much) I have T-Zones but don't pay for it. I can configure it online at TMO and I can successfully connect using the T-Zones network option on my phone. I suspect you get it free with the $19.99 unl. data plan.

Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    Since there seems to be some confusion about T-zones, I thought I would explain. The T-Zones APN gateway, wap.voicestream.com connects to GPRS mainly for phone-like devices. It allows port 9201 through, but not 80, 143, 443, 110 or 25. I have never tested every single port though. On a Treo, (any Treo) the only reason to use this would be to display the web site http://wap.myvoicestream.com, T-Mobile's US wap site that lets you get email on a wap-enabled phone. Sadly, marketing jokers decided that this site is ONLY visible from the wap.voicestream.com apn. You can not access this site in any other manner. Hence on my phones, I have multiple apns set up depending on what I am doing, and my account has unlimited Internet VPN and T-Zones on it. (Not even sure you can do that anymore) With the Treo, I'll prob ably have a wap browser configured separately from Blazer.

Lastly, T-Mobile uses a proxy server for internet access, that may or may not work well with Blazer. It is http://getmorespeed.t-mobile.com:8080. (Note it runs on port 8080!) It works ok on a laptop (using it now on a Vaio Picture book with the sierra wireless aircard). Once I get my Cingular Treo and rip it a bit to get rid of the bs in the OS, I'll test out the different connections and report on what works best! Happy Thanksgiving all.
    Mike
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast