Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Has anybody successfully used a FM Stereo Transmitter to play MP3's and/or use the device as a car kit for phone conversations? I've seen a number of devices such as the ones from Belkin, but they don't get good reviews. A lot of people are suggesting using a cassette adapter, but my car stereo only has a CD player and that's not an option.

Also, I used to have the Fone Free device (gimmick I purchased from an informercial - you know, the one with the geeky 'Billy' that sells everything on T.V) that worked well with my old Nokia phone, but it broke and I never got the chance to try it with my Treo 600.
    You can buy an interface board that hooks into many factory car cd players. The catch is you must install like under the dash and they are like 50-100 bucks . But it works much better than an fm modulator. There are several companies that make them...if you can't find them let me know and I'll see what I can dig up for you on the web.
    Coisty:

It works fine. I'm doing this now using the iRock adapter sold at Radio Shack. You'll still need a 2.5mm (male) to 3.5mm (female) adapter, and most of them need to be trimmed a bit (the plastic base) so they'll fit properly into the Treo, unless you use the one sold by Handspring. But apart from that, it's the jack on the phone is just an unamplified stereo output jack (when not using single-channel audio with a microphone), so anything that works with an MP3 player or similar device with audio output works fine, including the FM transmitters.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks, Shaber, I'm going to pick one up from RadioShack after work and give it a try. The reviews for the Belkin products were terrible, so I hope this works out o.k.
    if you do a search on 'fm transmitter' in the accesories forum, you'll find a bunch of good success stories and reviews.
    Mine jams. I have the iRock. Pretty much any should work.
    Originally posted by nrosser
    if you do a search on 'fm transmitter' in the accesories forum, you'll find a bunch of good success stories and reviews.
    Mine jams. I have the iRock. Pretty much any should work.
    Is the LineX, see: http://www2.mobileblackbox.com:8000/...ransmitter.htm
    any better? Seems to be alot more $$ than the iRock. It does claim something like 150 hours on a set of batteries. How about the iRock?
  7.    #7  
    I bought the iRock400W last night from RadioShack for $29 and it works flawlessly. The 400W includes the AC adapter previously unavailable on the old 300W.

Thanks for the tip, Shaber, it was definitely worth my while.
    I also have an iRock FM transmitter and it works fine with the Treo. The negative is that the batteries only last 4-5 hours max and the audio quality significantly degrades with discharged batteries. iRock also sells a version with integrated car power adapter but its about $30 bucks more expensive last time I checked. However, if you really want a quality FM transmitter, I highly recommend the C Crane FM Transmitter which is the big daddy of all FM transmitters! It's a bit pricey but is by far the best product out there and can be hacked to a range of over 100 meters!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I bought the Irock 400 today and it's amazing. Awesome handsfree solution. For those of you who are interested in doing this you'll need the following:

Irock fm transmitter : $29.99 at Compusa
    Radioshack stereo-stereo adapter : $3.99 #2740373 (1/8spg-3/32sjk)
    2 AAA batteries for the Irock or an open 12v port in your car. (Irock comes with the adapter)
    Treo 600 (duh)

A decent mount for your phone is also recommended. I bought a cheapo magnetic mount at walmart that clips on the vent. $7.64. It works great but there are plenty of other options. do a search.

You'll need to trim the plastic off the jack adapter so it fits in the phone. Be careful I almost took a finger off.

Once trimmed you plug the adapter into your phone, the Irock into the adapter, power plug into Irock and 12v port in car. Select a station with the swith on the irock. I recommend trying them all for best clarity. This varies by area of course. Once you have a station tuned in to your liking, set it as a preset on your stereo so its just a button press away.

Now test it. Turn the irock on with the blue button. the red led will come on. Call some one with your stereo set to the sation you chose and you should hear them thru the car speaker. The mike on the phone is capable of hearing your voice without assistance. Voila! Handsfree car phone. When your listening to another station and you get a call, hit the preset for the irock you set earlier then answer the phone. Very simple.

You can also listen to mp3s in the car this way. Or Shoutcast. If you are listening to either of them and the phone rings, you'll hear it thru the car speakers. There is no way to make your phone ring thru the speakers if you are just listening to another radio station. Unless it happens to be one of the four that the irock will let you select. Otherwise it is not possible. The combo of your phone and the irock is just like a mini radio station and your car stereo is just receiving them on a particular station. In fact if you pull another car right up next to yours and tune their radio to the same station they will be able to hear what you hear.

I hope that's clear enough for most folks. I have read alot of the posts about this and some of the details were left out. This is a good solution for an inexpensive handsfree car kit. I personally hate the earbud and its cord. With no bluetooth this is by far the best car option in my mind. Good luck!

Woof
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    I bought the Linex on ebay (around $32 plus shipping). I've used it in the car for 2 days and I'm impressed. Works from 150 feet (no my car isn't that long). Easy to use. Uses 3 AA batteries that last for 150 hours (but I'm not there yet so I don't know if that's accurate). Tried Audible books and lots of MP3. Comes with a 3.5 mm cord. You need a 2.5 mm adaptor. I'd say the quality is like an FM radio not a CD. You can also use it to hook up your PC to your stereo or a wireless mike, lots of stuff. But since I only had a CD player in my car and not a tape player, this was the solution that worked for me.
    I bought the iRock 400. It works amazinly. People barely know you are on a handsfree system its so clear. And playing mp3's through it works nice. This is a great solution.
    Originally posted by NADLER
    I bought the Linex on ebay (around $32 plus shipping). I've used it in the car for 2 days and I'm impressed. Works from 150 feet (no my car isn't that long). Easy to use. Uses 3 AA batteries that last for 150 hours (but I'm not there yet so I don't know if that's accurate). Tried Audible books and lots of MP3. Comes with a 3.5 mm cord. You need a 2.5 mm adaptor. I'd say the quality is like an FM radio not a CD. You can also use it to hook up your PC to your stereo or a wireless mike, lots of stuff. But since I only had a CD player in my car and not a tape player, this was the solution that worked for me.

Nadler, why the hell would you care if it worked 150ft from your car? If youre 150ft away from the car are you going to be able to hear the person on the other end? or maybe you'd have someone in the care to shout to you what was said on the other and so youd know what to say into your phone.

Seriously tho, this seems like a silly selling point when the whole point it to use it IN the car. Glad to hear it works good tho so there is more than one option.

Woof
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Originally posted by Woof

Nadler, why the hell would you care if it worked 150ft from your car? If youre 150ft away from the car are you going to be able to hear the person on the other end? or maybe you'd have someone in the care to shout to you what was said on the other and so youd know what to say into your phone.

Seriously tho, this seems like a silly selling point when the whole point it to use it IN the car. Glad to hear it works good tho so there is more than one option.
    Woof
    Of course the other drawback of the longer range is that, if a car near you happens to tune to that station, they will be able to hear half of your phone conversation

BTW: I bought the Belkin FM transmitter and I'm not too impressed with the sound quality in either of my vehicles. No matter which station I choose, it comes in a little noisy. It also seems to be very dependent on the placement of the transmitter within the car. Maybe the iRock is simply better ?
    I can walk around my house with the treo and listen to music over my stereo since I have speakers in many rooms. I can change songs from the treo, lower or raise the volume, mute it, etc. - acts like a remote control in some ways. And yes, my house is longer than my car.
    I agree the iRock works great. I have the exact setup Woof explains above. For a mount I am using a Radio Shack Universal Phone Mount (part no. 17-551, $22.99). It has a suction cup and flexible 8" or so arm. The suction is very strong. If you don't have a convenient place to stick the suction cup there is an addition flat round piece that can be stuck anywhere. The round mounting piece has adhesive on back so you can stick it anywhere and then the suction cup will stick to this flat round piece.

My problem is my mic does a terrible job if picking up my voice. It sounds like I am talking from a distance or in a tunnel and it tends to crackle or break up ever so slightly. This is all very annoying to the party on the other end of the phone. This is OK if talking to a friend but it is not acceptable for a business conversation. I need it to be acceptable for business calls. Help...any suggestions? I was thinking maybe there is a way to do a Y adapter out of the Treo. One side to be connected to the iRock and the other spliced into the headset using only the mic placed closer to me . Would this work? Any ideas?
    FM transmitters are great, unless you live in a major metropolitan city like Los Angeles where there isn't a completely free station! Even the most remote stations pick up something....I need a better solution...
    Originally posted by farzonalmaneih
    I bought the iRock 400. It works amazinly. People barely know you are on a handsfree system its so clear. And playing mp3's through it works nice. This is a great solution.
    Hey farzonalmaneih,

Are you using the AAA batteries or 12VDC auto adapter to power the iRock? I was thinking about getting the 400FM as well but wanted to plug the Treo itself into the car charger, not the iRock. How long of a battery life does the 400FM have using just the AAA's? Does anyone know of a setup where I can power both the iRock and Treo via the car charger at the same time without buying some sort of bulky converter? TIA...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by Woof

On a recent trip from Florida to Georgia, one of our friends used the iRock transmitter on his iPod. Those in our group trraveling near him could also hear his iPod in their own cars as long as they were about 150ft away or less!

Of course this was being used for music. It does bring concerns about others evesdropping on your phone calls. Anybody within the transmission range will be able to hear the called party's side of the conversation as long as they tune to that station.

BTW: I tried the Belkin product and it was horrible. It would sound very static-ky and was very dependent on the position and orientation of the transmitter regardless of which station I chose. The transmitter on the iRock must be much stronger because it sounds very clear and static-free in the same vehicle.

It would be nice if someone came out with a cradle that plugeed directly into a cigarette lighter outlet that would have a built-in FM transmitter, a charger for the phone, and an input jack for a lavalier type microphone that you could clip to your sun visor. I find that the Treo's built in microphone isn't good enough unless I hold the phone in my hand while using the fm transmitter which defeats the purpose of a "hands free". Plugging in a sunvisor microphone would fix this. With a product like this you could drop your Treo into the cradle, tune your FM stereo preset and drive off using your hands free car kit.
    The advantage of the LineX (for me) is the long battery life. I purchased mine over a month ago and use it on average several hours a day. It's still going strong.

The form is really nice too--you might be interested in my review http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...accessory.html
    Hmm, think I'm going to ditch trying to get an FM transmitter to work in LA. I guess I could use a cassette adapter. All I need to do is always have it in the deck and plugged in to the treo. When a call comes in, all I need to do is hit "tape" on my stereo and it should work. This way I get the best possible sound (no static or nearby stations coming in) and no possible chance of the guy next to me stuck in traffic scanning his radio stations could listen in on my caller. The only downside is that I also use the cassette adaptor for my ipod...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast