Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by Bullwinkle
    My favorite lines are these two: "Please repeat this many times if necessary. Remember that you should let some time pass since only time and use will make your case fit perfectly."

This case cost north of 100 bucks, and only time will make it fit perfectly! That's grand!

-RB
    You buy a classic leather glove, and it takes time (and leather cream, and a mattress) to break it in.

You buy nice leather shoes, and it takes a month to break in.

You buy a leather belt, and it fits like a steel band for the first 3 weeks.

What makes you think this would be any different--the fact that you paid a hundred bucks?

Maybe you should have waited for the i-volution case.
    jello
    News Flash people,
    This spacebar issue with auto-answering is a software problem. People should focus their attention on getting PalmOne to update the Treo 600 to allow us to turn off the space-bar answer shortcut. Who uses this anyway when the screen lets you do this. I don't understand why everybody gets angry at a case manufacturer? It's obviously a software problem & should be resolved as this would happen with any closed case.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    FYI ,, it doesnt happen with the piel franca .... the PF closes perfectly. If you like black .. its the nicest case ive seen. receveived in 3 days of ordering. No cool color choices though ...
    Originally posted by omoanya
    FYI ,, it doesnt happen with the piel franca .... the PF closes perfectly. If you like black .. its the nicest case ive seen. receveived in 3 days of ordering. No cool color choices though ...
    yea, I just read that thread. Nice case, btw, but PalmOne should still give us a setting to turn the space-bar answer off. Seriously, who answers the phone with the little space-bar? It's too easy to use the screen. To me the space-bar seems like over-kill, but should be off by default (on as option).

I'm still trying to decide between the PF and Vaja. Also can't decide about the belt clip or not. 3 things I like about PF:

1. Clip button can be taken off
    2. Magnet cover (no snap)
    3. No problem with auto-answering
    * also seems to have cutouts for mic & everything else.

things I like about Vaja:

1. More color & leather choices
    2. Looks a little nicer, etc.
    * doesn't look like they have all cutouts (mic) & has auto-answer prob. also, if you get clip button it can't be taken off (though,button looks smaller then the PF button).

I'm still up in the air on a case. I'll wait a little longer.

congrats on your case decision. someday I'll get a cool one two.
    Actually, I have a PF case and, if you close it tightly, it does exactly the same thing. It's definitely a problem looking for a software solution.
    FYI ,, it doesnt happen with the piel franca .... the PF closes perfectly.
    I think the difference is in the quality of the leather, and the tightness of the cut.

I don't know if you realize this, but the soft calf leather used in PF's and Bellagio's cases is actually not a very durable leather. calf leather is has a nice soft hand, but is rather delicate, and stretches easily, which in my opinion is not a quality I am looking for in my case. calf and kid leather are best reserved for fashion gloves, and other applications where the flexibility is actually preferred. Full-grain cowhide is stronger, and has more structure. The fibers are more dense, and does not stretch/flex as easily. A thin layer of full-grain cowhide will keep it's structure much longer than the same thickness in calf hide. You can see the cases made with calfskin have to fold the calfskin over edges and double layer things to give it any kind of structure.

That's why you see the Vaja case can have a clean unstitched end,

(http://www.vajacases.com/images/smar.../detail_02.jpg)

where as other cases have to be stitched all around a backing, or doubled over.

(http://www.pielframa.com/treo_600_available_colors.htm)

The ones that are made of calf skin folded over like that, bunched in the corners, and stitched over foam, have, in my opinion, inferior construction.

And actually, I think Forcelite posted a few pics that show the ends of the vaja case in a bit more detail. the top layer and bottom layer are sturdy enough to simply be stitched together and sealed, which is what I like to see.

But I guarantee you...you will start having problems in any case that has a leather cover with nothing more than an ABS sheet, and maybe some annoying foam (doesn't do anything but add thickness, imho). Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the cover for the PF case is leather, it will do the same if the cover is pressed (say, by pressing the covered phone between your **** and the seat). Leather flexes. Even when reinforced by that thin sheet of plastic, these covers will flex.

Remember the Palm V up/down toggle had the same problem. Leather cases would always flex and press the darn down button. Along came the Aluminum/Plastic cases, and they had a little carved out section in the plastic where the toggle button would happily sit. Like i said in another thread...maybe you should wait for something like the i-volution type of case. Leather cases...look good, and protect your goods moderately. Very nice leather cases...look very good, and maybe last a little longer. Plastic reinforced cases...prevent spacebars from being pressed.
    Last edited by jellolee; 12/05/2003 at 02:28 PM.
    jello
    Originally posted by jellolee

I think the difference is in the quality of the leather, and the tightness of the cut.
    I agree that the type of leather and the tightness of the strap are different. I claim no knowledge of leather crafting, however, my PF cases have lasted quite well.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the cover for the PF case is leather, it will do the same if the cover is pressed (say, by pressing the covered phone between your **** and the seat). Leather flexes. Even when reinforced by that thin sheet of plastic, these covers will flex.

Remember the Palm V up/down toggle had the same problem. Leather cases would always flex and press the darn down button. Along came the Aluminum/Plastic cases, and they had a little carved out section in the plastic where the toggle button would happily sit. Like i said in another thread...maybe you should wait for something like the i-volution type of case. Leather cases...look good, and protect your goods moderately. Very nice leather cases...look very good, and maybe protect your goods a little better. Plastic reinforced cases...prevent spacebars from being pressed.
    I agree completely here. Any leather flip cover will have this problem. It should be solved in software. Let me only answer my phone using a screen touch/tap. Or maybe a center press of the 5-way. Make it configurable even...
  8.    #28  
    Uh oh. It seems I’ve made a mistake criticizing Vaja. Some folks believe Vaja is completely guiltless here.

Maybe I missed something, but we now have several reports here and several known letters to Vaja, so we know they are aware of this problem, and I still see no mouse-type warning at the bottom of the order form stating:

"Due to a software problem with the Handspring Treo 600s, some of our cases have been known to auto-answer incoming phone calls without the user's knowledge. Some stretching of the case by the user may be required, much like kids walking around throwing a baseball into their glove or grown men breaking in a new pair of shows."
    I mean, come on. This company is knowingly selling a product that can cost the user convenience and money, and has done NOTHING to warn future customers. And why does the hack have to come from Handspring? Handspring's case doesn't have this problem. Why shouldn't Vaja take responsibility to work with Handspring to get a deal in which they can release a software update that gives Vaja users the ability to turn off the spacebar answer? This is done all the time in business.

And thanks for the advice "maybe you should have waited for the I-volution case.' I missed the note on Vaja's website that says: "Customers who want a nice case that doesn't auto answer the phone should wait for our next generation I-Volution case. Buy the current case at your own risk." Could you send me to a pointer where it says that?

Please don’t be so quick to throw blame back at an unsatisfied customer who is just trying to share details, me, or at Handspring who doesn’t make this case, when I and assumably hundreds of thousands of customers were perfectly happy with our Treos. The problem only came about when I bought from Vaja.

And don't get me wrong. I would gladly shut up and move on, but Vaja has refused to give me an RMA over this issue. I hope they will step up and issue an RMA followed by a refund.

Cheers,
    -RB
    Bullwinkle..

I think you are right. They should issue you a refund if you want one and return the case. They should also either redesign the case to avoid the problem or pressure Palm to provide a software fix.
    Uh oh. It seems I’ve made a mistake criticizing Vaja. Some folks believe Vaja is completely guiltless here.

And don't get me wrong. I would gladly shut up and move on, but Vaja has refused to give me an RMA over this issue. I hope they will step up and issue an RMA followed by a refund.

Cheers,
    -RB
    Oohhh...poor Bullwinkle didn't get his money back. Bad vaja. Bad bad vaja. Maybe if he cries a little more on this message board, the big bad vaja people will play nice with him, and design him a custom leather tissue box.

Grow up kiddo. It's a piece of leather. as much of a freak that he is, that jello guy was right. it happens with all of the cases. even the one that comes with the stupid phone. can't tell you how many times i've dialed my voicemail accidentally, or left messages with my firends of my cute little tush rubbing in my jeans. and by the way, i'm pretty sure you're contributing to the global hydrocarbon problem every day, and you're doing NOTHING about it...shame on you. you should at least be putting up a disclaimer or something saying how bad you are.
  11.    #31  
    Actually, you're quite right. I am a gross polluter and I shall now apologize for all my errs that are within some modicum on topic for this thread/topic or even forum. Oh wait... none of that has anything to do with this forum.

In fact, I can't figure out what any of your snit has to do with topic or logic. Were you helping the other members of the forum? Were you trying to get an answer to a question? Were you posting based on your own experiences with a related topic? Hmmm.

I gave specific facts as to why I was dissatisfied with a product directly related to the topic of accessories. You seem to have some other agenda.

<PLONK>
  12.    #32  
    Hopefully my last post on the subject, I got a satisfying response from Vaja today:

Dear Richard,
    We are writing to you in order to provide an explanation about your Treo 600 case. We received some comments about our cases causing the unit to autoanswer the incoming calls, due to the contact between the lid and the space key. According to the research we have been doing, the problem is not in our case particularly, but in the way the Treo functions, since anything external that may touch lightly this key will activate the autoanswering function easily, not only our case. Our Product Department has been carrying out some tests to find a solution but due to this key position and the function it has, we cannot offer to introduce any possible change in the case to avoid it, because the problem is not in the case itself. Anyway, since we do not want you to keep an item you are not satisfied with for a full price, we can offer you to return the case for a full refund or
    to let you keep it for a 50% discount in the item price. So you will be
    able to have the case for half its value.
    Let us know whatever you prefer and we will explain the procedure to follow

Best regards

María Cecilia
    García Querol
    Customer Service
    www.vajacases.com
    I am pleased Vaja has decided to step up and do the right thing.

Cheers,
    -RB
    Does anybody have a phone number for VAJA?
  14.    #34  
    Here's the address and phone number they list with Credit Card Companies:

Vaja
    Suite 880
    4770 Biscayne Blvd.
    Miami, FL 33137

305-573-5300

-RB
    Here's the address and phone number they list with Credit Card Companies:

Vaja
    Suite 880
    4770 Biscayne Blvd.
    Miami, FL 33137

305-573-5300

-RB
    Unfortunately, this number is useless...it goes to "ISN", which is a telephone service provider. The CS rep I spoke to knew nothing of Vaja and didn'y know what to tell me. A Yahoo yellow pages search in Miami revealed the number (305) 593-5053, so I called, and the guy couldn't tell me much. After much prodding, he gave me the number for Vaja Corp. headquarters in Argentina:

(011) 54 11 45 46 22 76

If anyone calls, please ask them when the I-volution will be out and how much it'll cost.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12