Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Upcoming Launch of the Handspring Treo 600
    T-Mobile is pleased to announce the upcoming launch of the Handspring Treo 600. The
    device will be sold exclusively through Handspring’s online distribution,
    allowing Treo customers to Get More.
    Small size and keyboard
    The Treo 600 is a small, stylish smart phone that still has room for a full
    QWERTY keyboard that makes typing and dialing a cinch, and a camera that
    allows you to take and share pictures with just a few clicks.
    Functionality
    Treo 600 combines a mobile phone and Palm OS organizer with wireless
    communications applications into one very smart, easy-to-use device.
    Optimized user interface
    The keyboard, 5-way navigation button and thoughtfully designed features work together to
    make it possible for you to get more done – in fewer steps, with just one hand, and without
    having to swap back and forth between applications.
    Frequently Asked Questions:
    Q: Will T-Mobile stores and Dealers have access to sell the device?
    A: No, at launch customers may only purchase this device from Handspring.com.
    Q: What happens if a customer inquires about obtaining a Treo 600?
    A: Direct them to the T-Mobile website at www.t-mobile.com, from there they will be able to
    purchase the device directly from Handspring.
    Q: What about support?
    A: T-Mobile will support the customer when it comes to network services, billing, and minor
    hardware issues. All other support will be handled by Handspring. Customers should contact
    T-Mobile Customer Care for all issues. Care will then transfer the call to Handspring.
    Q: What about upgrades?
    A: At this time customers must upgrade their device through www.handspring.com. Existing
    Treo customers can take advantage of a limited time offer that allows them to upgrade to a
    Treo 600 and receive $100 instant rebate off the purchase price.
    Q: How should T-Mobile stores and Dealers assist a customer if they bring in a Treo 600?
    A: If a customer brings in a Treo 600 for support, try to assist the customer in store. If you are
    unable to solve the problem, please contact Customer Care for additional troubleshooting
    Interesting... where did this come from?
    Can you please post a link or URL from where you got this info?
    > ...Q: Will T-Mobile stores and Dealers have access to sell the
    > device?
    > A: No, at launch customers may only purchase this device from
    > Handspring.com.
    > : What happens if a customer inquires about obtaining a Treo
    > 600?
    > A: Direct them to the T-Mobile website at www.t-mobile.com,
    > from there they will be able to purchase the device directly from
    > Handspring...

Oh my - T-Mobile didn't buy ==any== TREO 600s.
  5.    #5  
    This is from the 'T-Mobile Sales Training Weekly Newsletter' PDF from last week Nov. 17-21 that I just read since Iwas out of town. I will foward more info as I get it.......
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    > ...Q: Will T-Mobile stores and Dealers have access to sell the
    > device?
    > A: No, at launch customers may only purchase this device from
    > Handspring.com.
    > : What happens if a customer inquires about obtaining a Treo
    > 600?
    > A: Direct them to the T-Mobile website at www.t-mobile.com,
    > from there they will be able to purchase the device directly from
    > Handspring...

Oh my - T-Mobile didn't buy ==any== TREO 600s.
    Although this is a reasonable conclusion, it's not the only one. The sentence starts with "At launch". Which could mean that this could change. It is possible that T-Mobile is building inventory, which we all know will take a while given the slow production of these units.
    fwiw, i was in my local t-mobile store yesterday to see if they'd exchange my 2 month old treo270 since the screen developed a nice blue vertical line - everything works fine still but something is up with the screen. anyway, i should have a new one on monday!

i asked a seemingly-smart t-mobile employee about it, and they said that they are definitely not going to carry the phone in the stores. he had no idea why, but said that i was welcome to order through handspring and t-mobile would support the phone.

gobble gobble...
    W.r.t the T-Mobile store guy saying T-Mobile was definitely not going to carry the TREO 600 in their stores (1) he probably was simply echoing somewhat distorted the same text that started this thread off or (2) T-Mobile really isn't going to bother with buying the inventory to get them into the stores proper (has anyone been to a T-Mobile store and seen their massive TREO 270 inventory - me neither...).

------

As far as conclusions about this whole thing - yes, it is true that T-Mobile could simply not be going to sell them from stock at launch but...

For what reason would T-Mobile have a launch for a device that they personally are going to sell if they personally are not selling them - they simply could delay the launch until they ARE going to sell them themselves.

From the admittedly palmOne-pessimistic perspective I think T-Mobile has canned the idea of carrying the TREO 600 entirely - if one wants to speculate extensively, maybe T-Mobile is entering a new mode of phone (or perhaps only expensive-phone) sales - "carry" them on the web site, do minimal support, but really just redirect customers to the manufacturer for both actual sales and heavy support. Makes total sense to me for extreme low-volume niche products from a carrier-POV but is, of course, pure speculation.
    I didn't give it much thought at the time, but the latest email reply I got from T-Mobile when I inquiried about the Treo 600 stated exactly that... that they would be available for purchase through handspring.com (but no availability date was given). I guess it just didn't click in my head that that meant it wouldn't be in the stores...probably because I knew that in order to get the upgrade deal I'd be going through the HS site anyway.

Shame though if that's the only way they plan on selling it. I hope at a later date they sell in stores as well. Because even to this day, people are amazed at (what I consider to be crap now) my Treo 180 and always ask me where I got it and stuff.
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    W.r.t the T-Mobile store guy saying T-Mobile was definitely not going to carry the TREO 600 in their stores (1) he probably was simply echoing somewhat distorted the same text that started this thread off or (2) T-Mobile really isn't going to bother with buying the inventory to get them into the stores proper (has anyone been to a T-Mobile store and seen their massive TREO 270 inventory - me neither...).

------

As far as conclusions about this whole thing - yes, it is true that T-Mobile could simply not be going to sell them from stock at launch but...

For what reason would T-Mobile have a launch for a device that they personally are going to sell if they personally are not selling them - they simply could delay the launch until they ARE going to sell them themselves.

From the admittedly palmOne-pessimistic perspective I think T-Mobile has canned the idea of carrying the TREO 600 entirely - if one wants to speculate extensively, maybe T-Mobile is entering a new mode of phone (or perhaps only expensive-phone) sales - "carry" them on the web site, do minimal support, but really just redirect customers to the manufacturer for both actual sales and heavy support. Makes total sense to me for extreme low-volume niche products from a carrier-POV but is, of course, pure speculation.
    Well, well, well.......

It seems obvious what is going on here....

The people with the most experience in HS "rollouts" know what its like to be out there with HS on the bleeding edge and simply feels it lost enough blood.

Reality - every wireless HS product has been buggy from the start with more than its share of problems and bugs. T-Mo (Voicestream) was on the bleeding edge of each of their launches up to now. I suppose they SMARTLY figured that with the company near tapioca, things weren't gonna get better, especially for a more technically complicated device.

And who could blame them?

As to not buying any units, I would think that none were allocated to them up front because of their lukewarm embrace of the product - however justified.

It's clear - at least to me and most objective people - that this is a hand to mouth company that builds, sells, re-orders. So the last guy on line is gonna get sloppy seconds, thirds or whatever.

Again, people will blame the carrier and when you look at it objectively, it's simply not fair.

Heck, T-Mo was entitled to preference given the arrows it's taken on HS's behalf over the last few years. But HS, being busted, couldn't give them their due. A shame.

But you can't blame T-Mo for letting other people clean out the bugs. They've borne more than their fair share already.
    From the customer POV it doesn't really matter that T-Mobile isn't selling you a TREO 600 from their own stock - or even selling you one themselves (other than perhaps a lower price due to subsidized rebate).

From a carrier POV, of course, this appears to be a real win - a minimal-cost increment to "their" high-end product line with almost no gotchas (VERY unlike the disasterous TREO 270!).

From palmOne's perspective this allows them to advertise another "carrier partner" without REALLY having a carrier partner (gee, I wonder if T-Mobile thus will be known as a Tier-N partner henceforward?)

But, of course, this IS a financial killer for palmOne - whereas before they would have gotten a humongous cash inflow from a multi-thousand unit order from the carrier, now they have to settle for single unit inflow piece by piece from the end-customers and have to carry ALL the excess inventory themselves as WELL as pay for the worst part of the support,

Pure speculation on my part again - but BOY! does it begin to make sense.

I think I'll look a little more closely at Handspring/palmOne's wording about their AT&T and Cingular "carrier partner relationships"...
    Treo 600 on T-Mobile? I hope it's soon! We've been waiting for this since summer!! Furthermore, I hope it's an unlocked Treo 600.

Does anyone know if T-Mobile will unlock their phones if you request it and if they charge extra for that?
    RayUSA

"The future will be better tomorrow."
    - Dan Quayle
    Addendum - just checked out Handspring's site. They changed the wording:

== "...The Treo 600 smartphone is currently available with plans
    == from AT&T Wireless, Cingular Wireless and Sprint. We expect
    == to have service from and T-Mobile available soon. ..."

-- http://www.handspring.com/products/c...overview.jhtml

Note - yes, that's the way it is worded now, complete with superfluous "and" (as of the time of the posting of this addendum).

=====

A strange attempt to "hijack a thread" by the previous poster, IMHO - why? This T-Mobile news apparently is real and VERY important to those who want "T-Mobile TREO 600s" as well as those of us interested in the financial ramifications of such a move on a carrier's part - let's leave it on-topic.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    [i]Shame though if that's the only way they plan on selling it. I hope at a later date they sell in stores as well. Because even to this day, people are amazed at (what I consider to be crap now) my Treo 180 and always ask me where I got it and stuff. [/B]
    I guess it's could be a shame - don't really know. I purchased my 270 directly from Handspring last August before T-Mobile had them in stores. It never bothered me that I had to go to Handspring to get it. I got a replacement phone directly from Handspring, and then when I needed it replaced again later I phoned Handspring to be redirected to T-Mobile for replacement. I now have what I "suspect" is a T-Mobile locked 270 (anyone know) although I purchased an unlocked phone originally from Handspring. I would have preferred it if they had just stuck to getting them directly from Handspring myself, if that's the case.

Danita
    I am not sure who "SeldomVisitor- who posts daily and on so many threads!" and "zipmitz" work for? I have a feeling... for a handspring/ PalmOne competitor... or maybe, they got laid off from there, I do not know what, but they surely have some problem with HS/ PO! Otherwise, if they hate T600 so much why would they care to log-on to this forum daily and post against the product instead of having a creative/ technical/ value-adding discussion... I wonder
    Register today just to bash posters?

What a ****ing *****.

Well, TreoCentral should now close this thread.

T-Mobile not carrying the TREO 600 is Big News whether you like it or not - a-GAIN.

Too bad you just want meaningless fluff.

Giggle.
    I am not sure who "SeldomVisitor- who posts daily and on so many threads!" and "zipmitz" work for? I have a feeling... for a handspring/ PalmOne competitor... or maybe, they got laid off from there, I do not know what, but they surely have some problem with HS/ PO! Otherwise, if they hate T600 so much why would they care to log-on to this forum daily and post against the product instead of having a creative/ technical/ value-adding discussion... I wonder
    Originally posted by RayUSA
    ...Does anyone know if T-Mobile will unlock their phones if you request it and if they charge extra for that?
    I just recently replaced a non-Treo phone with T-mo, and they didn't even blink when I asked to have it unlocked. Before I even left the store with it, I mentioned that I want to "use local SIMS when I go to Europe." The rep processed the unlock request on the spot and I got an email with the code about 48 hours later. No charge, no muss, no fuss.

Hope this helps.
    Originally posted by Clatu
    I just recently replaced a non-Treo phone with T-mo, and they didn't even blink when I asked to have it unlocked. Before I even left the store with it, I mentioned that I want to "use local SIMS when I go to Europe." The rep processed the unlock request on the spot and I got an email with the code about 48 hours later. No charge, no muss, no fuss.

Hope this helps.
    Yeah Clatu, that helps! Thanks!
    RayUSA

"The future will be better tomorrow."
    - Dan Quayle
    Originally posted by nikenew
    So let's see if I get this right....

Unless you are a happy participant in a communal circle jerk, you are a plant from the competition?

It can't be that you all can just accept the fact that there are people out there with differing opinions and who just don't love the daylights out of your pwecious widdle toy?

Look. I am an early adopter. I buy this stuff first and am not thin skinned - you play the early adopter game, and you expect to have a lot of spilled milk.

Having said that, it also gives you PERSPECTIVE as to how early rollouts occur, from the standpoint of process and substance as well.

Truthfully, I've NEVER ran into a company that had such a dreadful history rolling out products. Sure, other companies have their problems, no matter how deep their pockets. But with HS EVERY SINGLE wireless rollout has been BOTCHED to the max and you have to say that it's simply not an option to consider it coincidence.

Beyond that, my interest in the newest soonest doesn't shield my eyes from flaws. AAMOF, because I was so looking forward to the Treo, I was inclined to ignore obvious signs, both regarding the ominious rollout delays early on as well as whispers of cramped keyboard compromises.

Yet when it arrived, that cramped keyboard smacked me right in the eye.

You all may choose to ignore it because you are infatuated with the idea of the Treo.

Not me.

I found the 270 to be the single most usable combined device I ever had. Of course, that was after I replaced it three times and patched in the GPRS that wasn't available at launch.....

This one? Looks great. But that braille board sucks BIG TIME.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast