Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Originally posted by mdwilkerson
    T-Mobile has large unsold inventories that it needs to liquidate.

If it stocked the 600 now it would impact its financials. Christmas projections are already in flux because of LNP.

T-Mobile's failure to stock the most up to date phones will cause our firm to move to another carrier when our existing contracts expire. Every person in our firm has gone through seveal 270s due to the lid problem.
    T-Mobile has exhausted their inventory of 270s. They will be shipping limited quantities of 600s to new corporate customers next week. Initially they will not be selling the 600 on retail but you should talk to your corporate account executive about getting units.
    Enquiring minds want to know ...
    > ...They will be shipping limited quantities of 600s to new
    > corporate customers next week. Intially they will not be selling
    > the 600 on retail but you should talk to your corproate account
    > executive about getting units.

You dont know this as fact.

But let's say it's true.

The rumor is 400 TREO 600s for T-Mobile's ENTIRE corporate customer set (original rumor was 200 but the rumor mongers doubled that).

Let's think about that - maybe repeat it one more time.

The rumor is 400 TREO 600s for T-Mobile's ENTIRE corporate customer set.

What does this say about the ongoing market for TREO 600s in the corporate world?
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    > ...

What does this say about the ongoing market for TREO 600s in the corporate world?
    I'm quoting T-Mobile, for whatever that is worth, I haven't heard the "400" figure from T-Mobile so that, in my mind, is the unsubstantiated rumor. What I was told by T-Mobile, again for what it is worth, is that the initial "very limited supply" was merely the first shipment for corporate customers. We have been offered additional Treo 600s after the first shipment is done.

To me the troubling issue is that T-Mobile will not, at least initially, offer the phone at retail. Who knows why that is. I could speculate on anything from too many Danger units to not a good enough financial deal with Handspring to who knows what else ... but I wouldn't want to start a rumor.
    I got the number of my local business services rep through the T-Mobile website, called and left a message. A couple hours later, I got a call from someone in response to my message. He told me that T-Mobile was releasing 200, yes, only 200 Treo 600s for new business accounts.

[rickdeet says the number is 200.]

It says that either T-Mobile has it right and there is no market left for the Treo 600 in corporate America or they are wrong and what is left of any such market will follow the rest of it to Sprint or Cingular. I think T-Mobile has it right, i.e., there is no one left who cares.

There is no evidence that T-Mobile plans to make the big investment that Verizon has announced and Sprint is making in high speed data. If they are right, their competitors will price themselves out of the market. If they are wrong, they will become a low-price niche player. It is sad to see them surrender what seemed like a significant lead in data function and marketing. Perhaps they entered the market too early.
    What it REALLY says, of course, is that information about this is STILL bogus since we have multiple sources of that info all claiming to have gotten the information DIRECT FROM T-MOBILE yet those multiple sources have conflicting information!

====

I still have half the opinion that the TREO 600s that are going to be available from T-Mobile per whatever version of this rumor one wants to believe are their certification test units (*).

[Because T-Mobile ALSO distributed a memo (referenced numerous times in various places on TreoCentral) that they aren't going to CARRY the TREO 600 AT ALL - rather they're just going to link to palmOne from their web site for it.]

Ain't fog fun?

====
    (*) No, actually I don't believe any version of the rumor yet.
    What it REALLY says, of course, is that information about this is STILL bogus since we have multiple sources of that info all claiming to have gotten the information DIRECT FROM T-MOBILE yet those multiple sources have conflicting information!

Perhaps. However, my second paragraph of conclusions does not rely upon the information in the leaks. It relies only upon the record.

Sprint and Cingular do offer Treo 600. Most of the 600s shipped in the US have been CDMA. Sprint has gotten the majority of customers for the Treo 600. Sprint has invested in high speed data. Verizon has announced significant new investment in high speed data. It has been difficult, compared to any other carrier, to get Treo 600s for use on T-Mobile. T-Mobile has maintained the status quo and has been silent with regard to any new investment in high speed data.

These things are not in the fog and they do justify my conclusions.
    > ...they do justify my conclusions.

Not really.

If one assumes the TREO 600 is IT, then yes the conclusions certainly sound somewhat valid.

But, of course, the TREO 600 is NOT IT - there're LOTS of high-end way-cool devices out there.

The TREO 600 is important only to palmOne - it is NOT important to any carrier including T-Mobile - all those carriers will do just fine (or perhaps more correctly - just as well) with or without the TREO 600 in their phone lineup.

Never forget that.
    > ...they do justify my conclusions.

Not really.

If one assumes the TREO 600 is IT, then yes the conclusions certainly sound somewhat valid.

But, of course, the TREO 600 is NOT IT - there're LOTS of high-end way-cool devices out there.

The TREO 600 is important only to palmOne - it is NOT important to any carrier including T-Mobile - all those carriers will do just fine (or perhaps more correctly - just as well) with or without the TREO 600 in their phone lineup.

Never forget that.
    While I will grant you that the Treo 600 is not important to the carriers, I would argue that high speed data is. Note that they are racing to the bottom in (flat-rate) pricing for voice services; they can still command some premium for (metered) high-speed data.

The Treo 600 seems to have been at least useful to Sprint in attracting a lot of customers at the expense of GSM carriers in general and T-Mobile in particular.

While I grant you that the Treo 600 is not important to the carriers, I would argue that it does not seem to be important to P1, or even HS, either. Since the first shipment of the 600 I have received at least a weekly e-mail offering to sell me the Tungsten but, in spite of my repeated expressions of willingness to buy and their repeated promises to do so, neither P1 or HS has sent me a single e-mail offering to sell me the Treo. (On TreoCentral they have ads offering to sell me the CDMA version but they have not sent an e-mail offering to sell me even that (cripple) product.)
    Last edited by whmurray; 01/10/2004 at 12:15 PM.
    Originally posted by whmurray

Since the first shipment of the 600 I have received at least a weekly e-mail offering to sell me the Tungsten but, in spite of my repeated expressions of willingness to buy and their repeated promises to do so, neither P1 or HS has sent me a single e-mail offering to sell me the Treo. (On TreoCentral they have ads offering to sell me the CDMA version but they have not sent an e-mail offering to sell me even that (cripple) product.)
    Hmm, on the other hand, I would expect marketing to work harder to sell a product where supply is exceeding the demand than vice versa.
    Like the hundreds, if not thousands of Treo 180/270 owners looking to upgrade, I'm about fed up with the total lack of honesty about the roll-out of the T-Mobile enabled Treo 600. A suggestion that very well may wake up the sleeping giants at T-Mobile... Write them! If you have their PERSONAL e-mail addresses, post them here, otherwises this is a mail-in shake-up that'll get their attention. My letter combined with hundreds of others WILL WORK. Give a piece of your mind to:

John W. Stanton, Chairman
    T-Mobile USA, Inc.
    12920 38th. SE
    Bellevue, WA 98006
    425-387-4000
    425-378-4040 Fax

Donald Guthrie, Vice Chairman
    T-Mobile USA, Inc.
    12920 38th. SE
    Bellevue, WA 98006
    425-387-4000
    425-378-4040 Fax

Robert R. Stapleton, Vice Chairman
    T-Mobile USA, Inc.
    12920 38th. SE
    Bellevue, WA 98006
    425-387-4000
    425-378-4040 Fax

Robert P. Dotson, President & CEO
    T-Mobile USA, Inc.
    12920 38th. SE
    Bellevue, WA 98006
    425-387-4000
    425-378-4040 Fax
    Contactpro
    If you look around, there are lots of threads that state the latest rumored release date as February 2nd. Considering the corporate units shipped back on the 12th and many people already have them, this Feb date sounds like it might finally be legit. Try the US GSM forum.

Of course we're not holding our breath though.
    Originally posted by jennyfur
    If you look around, there are lots of threads that state the latest rumored release date as February 2nd. Considering the corporate units shipped back on the 12th and many people already have them, this Feb date sounds like it might finally be legit. Try the US GSM forum.

Of course we're not holding our breath though.
    No, please do not hold your breath. It is always two to three weeks. Please do not even wait. Just bite the bullet. If you do not need GSM go Sprint. If you need GSM go Cingular. If you need T-Mobile, buy the Cingular phone and put a T-Mobile chip in it. The price of the Treo 600 is $700- Get used to it. Yes, you can pay less but only by paying for it in the service contract.

Yes, I know that HS/P1, T-Mobile, and their flunkies here are sowing all kinds of FUD. However, they are known liars with an agenda and a motive to lie. Those of us who are trying to reassure you have no agenda. It is as safe as buying version 1 of anything can be.
    Originally posted by whmurray
    No, please do not hold your breath. It is always two to three weeks. Please do not even wait. Just bite the bullet. If you do not need GSM go Sprint. If you need GSM go Cingular. If you need T-Mobile, buy the Cingular phone and put a T-Mobile chip in it. The price of the Treo 600 is $700- Get used to it. Yes, you can pay less but only by paying for it in the service contract.
    There is no.. and I repeat NO... way in hell I would buy a Sprint phone. Even before I heard any of the horror stories about their customer service on here I'd already made that decision because my roommate had one (as well as another good friend) and the coverage sucks badly in my area. Also, better battery life is one of my big reasons for upgrading (and why I'm glad there's no hi rez or BT or anything else that might drain the battery).

Considering T-Mobile has already released the Treo 600 to corporate users, I consider this latest rumored date to be a LOT more plausable than any before it. And even if it turns out to be bogus, I'd still much rather wait than switch to crappy Sprint or pay $700 from Cingular. Thanks but no thanks.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456