Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Originally posted by whmurray

Dropped it, not. They stole it.

As best I can tell from TC, the 600/GSM is a phantom. HS takes orders for AT&T and Cingular (but not for T-Mobile); they do not deliver.

It is a huge con game.
    Hmmm... I thought I was reading that both Cingular and AT&T people were getting FedEx tracking numbers, expected delivery times of today and such?
    Where is Handspring and why haven't they even made an effort to explain to their customers what's going on with the Treo 600 delays? After all the empty promises and expectations they created, isn't it strange that they haven't done ANYTHING to shed light on the matter?

I think that if there isn't any T-Mobile news by Dec. 15th (the last day to purchase and AT&T Treo 600 with $399 upgrade deal), I will take it as a bad sign for T-Mo, and go with AT&T.
    RayUSA

"The future will be better tomorrow."
    - Dan Quayle
    Originally posted by RayUSA
    Where is Handspring and why haven't they even made an effort to explain to their customers what's going on with the Treo 600 delays? After all the empty promises and expectations they created, isn't it strange that they haven't done ANYTHING to shed light on the matter?

I think that if there isn't any T-Mobile news by Dec. 15th (the last day to purchase and AT&T Treo 600 with $399 upgrade deal), I will take it as a bad sign for T-Mo, and go with AT&T.
    I'd be with you on that except for the fact that (unlike with cingular) the AT&T phone is locked and I'd be stuck with their crappy data plan pricing. Otherwise I'd switch in a second. I had AT&T service before I got my first treo, I had no issue with them. I'm still just hoping T-Mo will release by the end of the month and that I didn't blow it by not buying the Cingular one at the upgrade price when I had the chance....
    Originally posted by zipmitz

Your last paragraph says it all. But you have to look at things from the OPPOSITE direction....

T-Mo was HS's most important customer in rolling out ALL of it's prior wireless devices. And it has all the scars to show how dangerous it is to be a primary partner with HS. The excessive returns, the high rate of customer support must have cost T-Mo a BUNDLE.

Thrice burned, who could blame T-Mo for going it slow? No one has a more vested interest in the Treo 600 than HS. They knew their largest installed base of prior users and likely market were T-Mo guys.

And THEY dropped the ball with T-Mo.
    Well, on my T-Mo call last night, I ended up holding for 85 minutes waiting to speak to a supervisor. I hung up before I got to do that. "The Practice" was on and I have my priorities!

I just got off the phone with HS sales. The woman who answered was very nice and a fellow T-Mo user who could empathize with me. She told me that T-Mobile is the one dragging their feet, not Handspring. I mentioned all the talk on TreoCentral about T-Mo being gun shy because of previous problems and asked her if that was indeed the case or if it was all just rumors. She said it was "probably a little of both".

I also mentioned the reports about Handspring knowingly using loyal T-Mo customers to create the buzz, only to screw them later. If that's the way the treat their customers, I will no longer be one, I said. She again said it was T-Mobile who is holding it up.

When I told her that I'd be interested in buying an unlocked GSM Treo if they were available, she said they were. She told me that the Cingular version is unlocked. I then asked about the promotional price for upgrades. She said that's no longer available and that the price is $699. I told her that I wouldn't spend that much money on any cell phone/PDA, even if it brushed my teeth for me.

I then asked her why Handspring won't offer the deal to T-Mo customers that have been waiting patiently through all the announcements, etc. She said that it was a Cingular deal, not a HS one and that since Cingular is not offering it anymore, they can't either. She did mention that Cingular is a little more lenient on offering the discount than Sprint is, but that doesn't really help me out much unless I switch back to Cingular.

Lastly, I told her that I hold HS responsible for a lot of this because all the hype for the T-MO T600 has been from the HS website, not T-Mo's. I have not heard one peep out of T-Mo about the T600 and none of their reps, whether in-store on via phone, know anything about the phone. I closed by thanking her and telling her that HS shouldn't be making promises/statements on their site if it's not accurate. She said she logged my comments.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to approach Cingular about a new contract to see if they can do anything about matching my current one with T-Mo. I'll keep you all posted....

Rick in San Diego
    Last edited by rickdeet; 12/01/2003 at 02:28 PM.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    I'm really glad I decided to get the Cingular unlocked version to use with my Tmo SIM. I continue to monitor thr TMO 600 situation as I have 1 more serial # if an upgrade deal is presented. I am a bit worried about how a warranty works in this scanario, but I am willing to take a chance, as I have little confidence that a Tmo version will be available by christmas, if at all.

Have you tried getting an unlocked one on Ebay? I have seen a few there..and when Tmo releases the 600..you will see my current Treo 600 there.
    Originally posted by rickdeet

Well, on my T-Mo call last night, I ended up holding for 85 minutes waiting to speak to a supervisor. I hung up before I got to do that. "The Practice" was on and I have my priorities!

I just got off the phone with HS sales. The woman who answered was very nice and a fellow T-Mo user who could empathize with me. She told me that T-Mobile is the one dragging their feet, not Handspring. I mentioned all the talk on TreoCentral about T-Mo being gun shy because of previous problems and asked her if that was indeed the case or if it was all just rumors. She said it was "probably a little of both".

I also mentioned the reports about Handspring knowingly using loyal T-Mo customers to create the buzz, only to screw them later. If that's the way the treat their customers, I will no longer be one, I said. She again said it was T-Mobile who is holding it up.

When I told her that I'd be interested in buying an unlocked GSM Treo if they were available, she said they were. She told me that the Cingular version is unlocked. I then asked about the promotional price for upgrades. She said that's no longer available and that the price is $699. I told her that I wouldn't spend that much money on any cell phone/PDA, even if it brushed my teeth for me.

I then asked her why Handspring won't offer the deal to T-Mo customers that have been waiting patiently through all the announcements, etc. She said that it was a Cingular deal, not a HS one and that since Cingular is not offering it anymore, they can't either. She did mention that Cingular is a little more lenient on offering the discount than Sprint is, but that doesn't really help me out much unless I switch back to Cingular.

Lastly, I told her that I hold HS responsible for a lot of this because all the hype for the T-MO T600 has been from the HS website, not T-Mo's. I have not heard one peep out of T-Mo about the T600 and none of their reps, whether in-store on via phone, know anything about the phone. I closed by thanking her and telling her that HS shouldn't be making promises/statements on their site if it's not accurate. She said she logged my comments.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to approach Cingular about a new contract to see if they can do anything about matching my current one with T-Mo. I'll keep you all posted....

Rick in San Diego
    T-Mo's fault?

How about the fact that HS knew from SEPTEMBER that T-Mo was hesitant? How about the fact that even after that, they continued to tell people who called in that T-Mo would be available "shortly" or within 2 or 3 weeks? How about the fact that during their road shows, the FIRST GSM provider they described was always T-Mo?

When, after whetting all our appetites, did they have the courtesy to tell people whose purchase decisions were intentionally frozen that they would not be able to produce goods in the near term?

HS is playing a low game in blaming the carrier.

Every US GSM carrier was way off the mark in delivering goods as compared to the initial HS promise dates. What are the odds that THEY were all at fault and HS was blameless?
    At this point, I have no real idea of whose fault it is or not. All I know is that T-Mobile reps are terribly misinformed about upcoming products and Handspring is blaming T-Mo.

Both have provided me with frustration in the past, and I'm sure, will again in the future. On the other hand, both have provided me with good times as well.

:::::::::::::: memory/dream sequence ::::::::::::::::::

I remember the first time I brought out my Stowaway Keyboard while using my Handspring Visor Deluxe. It was in a meeting at work and everyone oohed and aahhhed. I felt like James Bond.

Then when I went to France with my Treo (and my fiance) last year. I was so happy to be able to use my own T-Mo account overseas.

The happiness was shared by others when I was able to give my French friend Sebastien my Stowaway keyboard so he could use it with the new HS Visor he had recently purchased. He was so happy, and he too felt like James Bond.

:::::::::::::: end memory/dream sequence ::::::::::::::::::

So, I'm not going to let this delay ruin my happy memories. I'm going to remember the happy times and retain the hope that I can once again be happy with my mobile electronics and cellular service. Without hope, we die. And I'm not ready to die just yet!!!!

I've got a coffee house to open!

Rick in San Diego
    I stopped by the T-mobile shop in Short Hills Mall, NJ. Last Saturday. I asked when the Treo600 would be supported. I was poliytely told "In about 2 weeks". It had the ring of truth.
    really? that would be great by my experience with those exact guys is not positive. i hope you are right.
    Ben
    Originally posted by ben klieger
    really? that would be great by my experience with those exact guys is not positive. i hope you are right.
    Right about what? What has changed? It has always been two weeks and it has always had the ring of truth. It is not going to be before 1Q04 and may not ever be. Get used to it.
    > Addendum - just checked out Handspring's site. They changed
    > the wording:
    >
    > == "...The Treo 600 smartphone is currently available with plans
    > == from AT&T Wireless, Cingular Wireless and Sprint. We expect
    > == to have service from and T-Mobile available soon. ..."

-- http://www.handspring.com/products/c...overview.jhtml

They changed the wording again - no longer has "and" thus eliminating the ambiguity about whether they meant that T-Mobile would actually be offering the TREO 600. Instead, it now means what it says - the TREO 600 is expected to be available shortly from Handspring/palmOne with service from T-Mobile.
    Last edited by SeldomVisitor; 12/05/2003 at 03:28 PM.
    Originally posted by rickdeet
    At this point, I have no real idea of whose fault it is or not. All I know is that T-Mobile reps are terribly misinformed about upcoming products and Handspring is blaming T-Mo.

Both have provided me with frustration in the past, and I'm sure, will again in the future. On the other hand, both have provided me with good times as well.

:::::::::::::: memory/dream sequence ::::::::::::::::::

I remember the first time I brought out my Stowaway Keyboard while using my Handspring Visor Deluxe. It was in a meeting at work and everyone oohed and aahhhed. I felt like James Bond.

Then when I went to France with my Treo (and my fiance) last year. I was so happy to be able to use my own T-Mo account overseas.

The happiness was shared by others when I was able to give my French friend Sebastien my Stowaway keyboard so he could use it with the new HS Visor he had recently purchased. He was so happy, and he too felt like James Bond.

:::::::::::::: end memory/dream sequence ::::::::::::::::::

So, I'm not going to let this delay ruin my happy memories. I'm going to remember the happy times and retain the hope that I can once again be happy with my mobile electronics and cellular service. Without hope, we die. And I'm not ready to die just yet!!!!

I've got a coffee house to open!

Rick in San Diego
    Rick,
    As a fellow San Diegan who travels frequently to Europe, I can identify with the joy of using your TMo account over there (Not suprising, as TMo is originally a European co.). I do not have any complains w/ their service yet, and I do not plan to switch (yet). However, I do get frustrated with this incompetent silence. At least I want to know if we will see the phone provided by TMo in the near future, or if we have to resort to other alternatives (cingular version). I would like to think that customers are the most important thing for them, and thus, it would be nice to do their best to help us out in this dilemma, and not to "throw" us around like a dirty old rag with lots of misinformation. As much as it would hurt me, if TMo doesn't provide the T600 by Jan 12, '04 when I return from Europe, I will pay the $100 price premium at Cingular, and get an unlocked treo for 599.

BTW: is your coffee house gonna be a Amsterdam-kindda coffee house?
    May the G4ce be with you
    Well, like many of U I'm w/ T-MO. Got tired of all this crap and bought PPC XDA-2 from Expansys. My opinion is that it's a HS to blame, not TMO.
    Originally posted by tolechka
    Well, like many of U I'm w/ T-MO. Got tired of all this crap and bought PPC XDA-2 from Expansys. My opinion is that it's a HS to blame, not TMO.
    T-Mobile is under no obligation or expectation to sell, recommend, or support any phone. HS is under an obligation to offer a product to all comers on a fair and equal basis. It is certainly under an obligation to do what it says it will do.

They have not quite refused to sell to T-Mobile customers. They have clearly refused to sell an unlocked phone in the US that they are offering in Europe and Asia. If I were a T-Mobile customer in Europe or Africa, I could have purchased a Treo 600 GSM. HS has tried to have its cake and eat it too by pretending that this delay is a matter of days rather than months.

I am glad that you have found a non-HS product that meets your needs.
    The competitive product that I prefer is the Treo 270 and I already have that.
    As the new snow creeps around my window I see that I have lived one more day. Today is 6 Dec 2003 and there is no real update form T-mob and the Treo-6. Does anyone have any updates and perhaps a valid reason why the product is not available?
    Dear Diary,

It is now December 9th. Still no sign of the Treo 600 from T-Mobile. What the hell is going on? And when will I get a life?
    RayUSA

"The future will be better tomorrow."
    - Dan Quayle
    Originally posted by RayUSA
    Dear Diary,

It is now December 9th. Still no sign of the Treo 600 from T-Mobile. What the hell is going on? And when will I get a life?
    I do not know but I hope that you are not relying on HS to give you one.
    Anyone notice how each carrier has become available just as the previous carrier's "upgrade period" comes to an end?

Started w/ sprint, then just as it's expiration to upgrade closed in, the cingular upgrade program started, then as it closed, ATT started ... All that's left is Tmobile.

Sounds fairly coordinated to me. Guess we'll see soon .... not that it matters hehe
    According to Gizmodo , it is rumored to be released around the 15th.
    I haven't seen this information posted here, thought you might find it of interest.

http://howardforums.com/showthread.p...hlight=%2Btreo
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast