Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Anyone who how to install and configure to read Chinese SMS on Treo 600?

Thanks!
    Palm III -> Revo -> Palm V -> Clie 760 -> Clie T650C -> SE P800 -> Treo 600 -> Clie UX50 -> The Dark Side -> Treo 650 -> Nokia E61 -> Treo 680
  2. viturin
    TREO 600 cannot read/send Chinese SMS yet. I called SIngapore, They said that a new software update is on the way - maybe already available somewhere (but not officially released yet). I am also on the search of it.

The problem is that the TREO SMS software does not support sending double-byte characters yet. So even you install the CJKOS won't help...

If you find out how, please kepp me informed. I will do the same.

Regards,

--Viturin
    here is how: update your treo firmware to 2.08 or 2.09(u can dig it out from this forum), then install cjk os, then u r able to read and sent Chinese sms.
    take it to a chinese guy. he will read it...
  5. viturin
    Thanx - I have been hounting the net and this forum for the update 2.09... where can I find it? I could not locate it.

Thanx for telling me the link.

--Viturin
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    2.09 is still a Beta version. Please hold your horses... wait for the final release. I have been told that it would be ready sometimes next month.
    Palm III -> Revo -> Palm V -> Clie 760 -> Clie T650C -> SE P800 -> Treo 600 -> Clie UX50 -> The Dark Side -> Treo 650 -> Nokia E61 -> Treo 680
  7. viturin
    hking,

Thanx for your input. I upgraded to 2.09 now. I can read the sent Chinese SMS (sent and written by myself in the CHAT THREAD). BUt the other party still receives it as messed up characters.

Do you have a solution to that?

--Viturin
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Viturin,

What tool you use to read the Chinese SMS? CKJOS?

Please share...
  9. viturin
    Yes, I use CJKOS, the newest update. After installing the update 2.09, the improvement is that in the outbox (the SMS I send myself) is Chinese now as previously it was messed up already.

But the receiver does still receive messed-up characters.

I used NOKIA before and have been using Oxygen Phone Manager. I know from those kind of softwares where one can send SMS also, there always was an option to tell the software if the SMS was double-byte (i.e. Chinese, Japanese, etc.) or not.

There is not such option in the TREO software. But I am assuming that the TREO is smart enough and should figure that out by itself. BUt at this point, it isn't.

--Viturin
    i was using 2.08 and it is working fine(people can get and read my Chinese mesg) and now i am updated to 2.09 by using the unlock patch, will try it later to see if others can read my Chinese mesg, must be some settings in your cjk os, i am using an old version(4.6) but works.

good luck!!!and Happy Chinese Newyear!!!!!!!!!!
    Originally posted by treoneo
    take it to a chinese guy. he will read it...
    hehehe
  12. viturin
    I just did the update of the 2.09. Is there any update for the PalmOS on the TREo or the SMS application itself?

Or would it work if I downgrade to 2.08 from 2.09?

Happy Monkey Year!

--Viturin
    no need to dwon grade ur FM, try to reset your cjkos,install all the fonts, btw: i install both sim(GB) and tran(BIG 5) one , and keep using GB. hope this helps.
    Viturin,

Are you using CDMA version or GSM version.
    If GSM, which carrier are you using?
    I am usng Unicom(GSM) and don't know how to use SMS.
    I get some Chinese message of course scrambled.
    Now I see how to make my Treo 600 to read Chinese SMS.
    But still I need help how to write one.

Thanks.

Henry.

By the way, I have been using Treo 600 GSM for a month in Jilin Province.
    hking,

You said,
    --------
    I was using 2.08 and it is working fine(people can get and read my Chinese mesg) and now i am updated to 2.09 by using the unlock patch, will try it later to see if others can read my Chinese mesg, must be some settings in your cjk os, i am using an old version(4.6) but works.
    --------
    I am now running 2.08 and CJKOS 4.61.
    I cannot read Chinese mail. It comes out scrambled.
    What kind of setup did you do?

I heard from other thread, upgrading to 2.09 is not recommended by many members. I am kind of hesitant to do that.
    So I am interested how you set up in 2.08 to be able to read Chinese characters in SMS.

Also, please let me know how to setup Treo 600 to send SMS in China if anybody knows. I am using Unicom GSM in Jilin Province.

Thanks.
    For Treo600 send/read Chinese SMS, pls. jump to:

http://www.hi-pda.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=150292
    http://www.hi-pda.com/forum/viewthre...150789&fpage=1

for help.

The key is the latest CJKOS 4.61 and firmware V2.08.
    Treo90
  17. viturin
    Hi,

to HKING:

I tried all various settings in my CJKOS and also was not able to get the Chinese SMS to be displayed correctly on my TREO... nor could others who received my CHINESE SMS receive them as CHINESE.

I have ROM update 2.09, SMS version 1.0, CJKOS 4.61. Installed with GB and BIG5...

Thanx for sharing your experience!

to the person in Guilin:

AS to send SMS in Guilin (CHINA)... are you using a CHINESE SIM-Card or a foreing one? In the first case, you need to get the local Message-Center number from the local UNICOM Service and enter it in your phone. I cannot tell that one to you since I use China Mobile... but it is the same for UNICOM.

If you use a foreign card, you can only try if it works by also entering your local MEssage Centre number ... it might not work though. SOme forign cards work, others won't... it is kind of mysterious... kind of a lukcy draw... Anyway, good luck.

Good luck,

--Viturin
    Since PalmOS 3.1, codepage translation has been supported internally. It is a shame for PalmOne that it's SMS program in many models did not support Chinese correctly. firmware 2.08 in Treo 600 fixed this problem and it is very very easy: call the International Manager API to get the current codepage (936 for GBK), then call the Text Manager API to translate the message between Unicode and GBK. CJKOS 4.6x has patched the related TextManager API to get the correct codepage translation.

Originally posted by raypower
    For Treo600 send/read Chinese SMS, pls. jump to:

http://www.hi-pda.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=150292
    http://www.hi-pda.com/forum/viewthre...150789&fpage=1

for help.

The key is the latest CJKOS 4.61 and firmware V2.08.
  19. viturin
    Okay, it works for me now. Sending and receiving chinese SMS.

As mentioned by others, the ROM update 2.08 has to be installed, not 2.09. And then CJKOS 4.61 (newest version).

I hat ROM 2.09 installed already, but installed 2.08 after that. It works now. No problem.

Thanx all for your help!

--Viturin
    Hi, guys.

Viturin wrote:
    -----------------------------------------
    As mentioned by others, the ROM update 2.08 has to be installed, not 2.09. And then CJKOS 4.61 (newest version).

UGlee wrote:
    firmware 2.08 in Treo 600 fixed this problem and it is very very easy: call the International Manager API to get the current codepage (936 for GBK), then call the Text Manager API to translate the message between Unicode and GBK. CJKOS 4.6x has patched the related TextManager API to get the correct codepage translation.

Thank you for giving me hope.
    However, I installed 2.08 and CJKOS4.61
    Still it does not show corrent Chinese. All scrambled. or ???? marks.

Please help me how to make it successful as yours. Or make it easy as it sounded.

Henry.

PS. I am in Jilin Province. I will call Unicom and ask Message Center number. I don't know how to say in Chinese. I will figure it out. And I am using local Unicom SIM card. Thank you for answering that. But I still want this Chinese letters to be shown correctly first.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast