1.    #1  
    While waiting for delivery of my Treo 600 (which gives me plenty of time) I wrote emails to a few of the software companies that make some apps that I regularly use, but which haven't been discussed in any thread concerning T600 compatibility. One developer, Ultralingua, gave me an ominous response which indicated that they have discovered a bug in the T600 OS which is making many programs (not just theirs) unuseable. This requires at best workarounds, at worst, total incompatibility. The problem, of course, is that if this "bug" means rewriting software, many developers just might not take the time for one niche model. Which means the T600 may not ever work with many Palm OS software, which sort of negates one of the main allures of this convergence unit. Any thoughts?
    That would depend on what this supposed "bug" is, and whether or not it actually exists. It could be as simple as developer incompetence.
    sounds like BS to me - I'd say they're just trying to come up with some reason that is not of their own control to not have to port their app to the 600.
    Many other apps have been modified to work just fine with the 600.
    Bogus, I say.
    Well, most of the apps people use are already working or in-progress of working (stated by the developers of said products).

So I doubt this is true.

What I think is true though, is that the voice recording wont work without a rom update from HS, or some REALLY big code changes from software devs. I suspect that the software devs will wait for HS to release the ROM update.

The only application I have had terrible problems with is Mapopolis Navigator. And it only crashes when you turn on voice prompting.
    To date there is only one program I was using on my Treo 300 that will not work on the 600. Everything else was updated or worked just fine. Some required a bit of work by the developer; however, overall, I am pleased with the Treo 600 and the software on it.

Ben

Originally posted by boardoe
    While waiting for delivery of my Treo 600 (which gives me plenty of time) I wrote emails to a few of the software companies that make some apps that I regularly use, but which haven't been discussed in any thread concerning T600 compatibility. One developer, Ultralingua, gave me an ominous response which indicated that they have discovered a bug in the T600 OS which is making many programs (not just theirs) unuseable. This requires at best workarounds, at worst, total incompatibility. The problem, of course, is that if this "bug" means rewriting software, many developers just might not take the time for one niche model. Which means the T600 may not ever work with many Palm OS software, which sort of negates one of the main allures of this convergence unit. Any thoughts?
  6.    #6  
    thanks for the replies. I feel better now.
    Its not a bug but if you use the hardware serial port for anything (GPS, terminal software) OS5 will mean a lot of rewrites for some serial programs depending on how they handle the port. Not a bug, if they coded it according to the manual for OS4 it will work in OS5. If they "got lazy" you could make it work a lot easier in OS4 but it will not work the same way in 5.

David
    I wrote to their tech support address and was told to look out for an updated version in a few days.

I've just tried version 2.1 and I'm still getting the same old soft reset problem.

maybe next time!
    I am also suspicious of this. A quick look at the apps quickly available for the T600 would tend to argue against it...

Marc
    It seems the biggest issue is the ARM processor change. My old Remote software from Pacific NeoTek is still beta testing the library for the ARM. The developer is releasing a new beta "soon" with specific support for the T600.