1.    #1  
    I have owned the Treo 300 (Sprint) for almost a year and I am very happy with the email and organizer capabilities. While I love the data features, I have a few significant complaints about the Treo 300:

1. The phone drops calls often. I assume this partially stems from the fact that the Treo 300 is a single band phone only. I'm not sure if Sprint's roaming deal with Verizon works for the 300? Does the 600's Dual band capability improve signal strengh and reception? (btw, will the 300 roam on Verizon?)

2. The phone's speaker (non-speakerphone) is subpar at best. The 300 sounds good only with the headet. Has this improved in the 600 as Handspring claims in its marketing material

3. Form Factor -- The 300 is awkward as a phone. Is the 600 an improvement?

I live in NYC and travel frequently. I rarely use the Web on my Treo so this is not an important feature for me. The camera and mp3 player features also are unimportant to me.

Phone, organizer and email are most important to me.

I am considering purchasing either the Treo 600 or the Samsung i500. I would miss the keyboard, but the small size and Tri mode capability should make up for it.

Help!
    the treo has better rf performance

the treo has a better screen

the i500 has a more extensive software suite

the i500 is smaller (but also thicker)

the treo is faster, downloading, processing etc.

the i500 has a cool red light that illuminates on the "mits" logo

the headset output on the treo is horrible

the i500 is a better "phone" (minus rf)

the treo's screen is impossible to keep clean

the i500 is a phone on steroids, the treo 600 is a PDA with a phone.

good luck
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    The Treo 600 sounds great with headsets, but not the included headset, which is cheap.

Sound good without headset, and OK with speakerphone.
    I have had both, I don't have the time to explain it, but I will tell you that much. When I had the I500 I was over it within a week, But I still can't get over the T600. Even now I am replying from the phone....
    You cannot compare them...
    I also had an i500 for 2 months prior to the T600. Both have advantages, but the treo integrates the software much better. The i500 has GREAT form factor, and is a great phone, but overall I am much happier with my Treo!
    Biases first: I'm a confirmed i500 junkie. However, it really comes down to just two factors: (1) form; (2) phone v. PDA.

The i500 is a phone first. Size and screen protection (clamshell design). No one will know you have a PDA unless you tell them. It can handle email and attachments OK (if you get Snappermail and Docs to Go Premium) but memory is short, and lack of SDIO makes data transfers tougher.

The Treo 600 is a PDA first. Smaller than the old T300, it still uses the thumb board approach to be a much better communication device (not quite a Blackberry, but pretty darn close). SDIO and OS5 are nice touches, and much faster for PDA performance. And the excellent integrated 5-way Dpad should be standard equipment on all PDA devices (Palm or PPC) Still, it needs a better screen as a PDA substitute,

If you are PDA-centric, go with the T600. If your cell phone is your first priority ("never leave home without it") consider the i500. Despite claims for the superiority of OS5 and ARM, it really doesn't do much for standard Palm apps (had a Zire 71 before this and can confirm that). Will be snappier on web and downloads, but given the meager 160x160 screens in both, I don't see that as much of an advantage, because I can't stand surfing very long at that resolution - you're better off on WAP and text based sites, where it doesn't make a lot of difference. In fact, the TFT/65k screen on the i500 is much better than the CSTN/4k screen on the T600 for viewing pictures, etc.

Despite shrinking the T600 (it is an engineering marvel), I'm afraid it would still be "left behind" on many occasions, while the i500 never leaves my pocket (just like the Samsung 8500 before it).

One last point - if you live in or near the "backwoods" where analog roaming is still a necessity, forget the Treo 600 - it just can't. It's hard for some folks to believe, but there are large parts of our great land that still do not have CDMA/GSM coverage. Even at obscene roaming rates, there are still times where my i500 bails everyone out because it still can roam on the tin can & string network.
    Originally posted by Mahootzki
    I have had both, I don't have the time to explain it, but I will tell you that much. When I had the I500 I was over it within a week, But I still can't get over the T600. Even now I am replying from the phone....
    You cannot compare them...
    Ditto...and you can't beat the WOW factor that you get whenever using your Treo.

First let me say, since you indicated that you are a former Treo300 user, that there is also NO comparison between the T300 and the T600, form wise NOR feature wise. The cheap plastic housing along with the fragile hinged flip, are things of the past. Personally, if it weren't for software similiarities, I wouldn't know that the T600 is a first generation cousin of the T300.

Now as far as the T600 vs. I500 comparison, I would say that the I5 would be a better phone for the conservative businessperson who is only interested in the phone as an organizer/phone combo, but if you are a true gadget geek you won't be satisfied with the limitations of the I5s capabilities. I had my I500 for about 6 weeks and after new newness of the I500 wore off, I was pissed that Sprint failed to work with Samsung to design a phone that took advantage of more of Sprints Vision capabilities.

Other than form factor (smaller clamshell vs. slightly larger bar design) the only other advantage that the I5 has is voice command and voice memo.

O...and did I mention the $200 price difference???

K
    Last edited by nchargreed; 11/25/2003 at 09:02 AM.
    Originally posted by nchargreed

Ditto...and you can't beat the WOW factor that you get whenever using your Treo.

First let me say, since you indicated that you are a former Treo300 user, that there is also NO comparison between the T300 and the T600, form wise NOR feature wise. The cheap plastic housing along with the fragile hinged flip, are things of the past. Personally, if it weren't for software similiarities, I wouldn't know that the T600 is a first generation cousin of the T300.

Now as far as the T600 vs. I500 comparison, I would say that the I5 would be a better phone for the conservative businessperson who is only interested in the phone as an organizer/phone combo, but if you are a true gadget geek you won't be satisfied with the limitations of the I5s capabilities. I had my I500 for about 6 weeks and after new newness of the I500 wore off, I was pissed that Sprint failed to work with Samsung to design a phone that took advantage of more of Sprints Vision capabilities.

Other than form factor (smaller clamshell vs. slightly larger bar design) the only other advantage that the I5 has is voice command and voice memo.

O...and did I mention the $200 price difference???

K
    I agree. Though I've never had an i500, when I saw it for the 1st time I was wow'd by the form factor, but that's about it. Playing with it made me think I was just using a flip version of the i330. I like how the Treo replaced my phone, both with having a camera and being able to browse the regular Sprint homepage, as well as being able to go to almost any website b/c of the excellent browser.

This is also my 1st non-flip phone in about 4 years!!! I had to give that up but it was worth it!
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Originally posted by dstrauss
    Biases first: I'm a confirmed i500 junkie. However, it really comes down to just two factors: (1) form; (2) phone v. PDA.

The i500 is a phone first.
    I have owned both and my experience says the T600 is absolutely a FAR better phone in addition to being a FAR better PDA:

1) The palm based phonebook integration with the T600 is hugely superior. On the i500, when a contact had multiple numbers (like cell, home, work etc.), I actually had to get out my stylus to pick a single number to dial. I COULD NOT DO IT WHILE DRIVING. On the T600, with their improved phonebook application and 5-way D-pad, its the quickest, easiest, most natural action, to do with one hand while driving, or not.

2) The T600 speaker Phone is a big Plus for ANY Phone user any time. the i500 has no speakerphone. Yes the speakerphone is ALSO better when using the phone AND the PDA at one time.

3) The Phone favorites APP on the i500 is limited to 4 favorites (its really close to having nothing). The T600 has 50 favorites and is easier to use. It is, by far, the best "quick dial"/favorite system of any phone I've ever seen.

4) I found it MUCH easier to use the T600 keyboard to dial in a persons name than using the i500's phone pad. The i500 is always beeping at you for any letter that doesnít have a match. BUT You can't avoid continually "passing thru" letters that don't have a match when you use the phone keypad to type a name. Thus there is always the beeping and added confusion.

My wife had to return hers for all of the above PHONE reasons and go to the TREO. She hardly uses the PDA for other than Phone, Phonebook and calendar.

All the above are just phone advantages for the T600. What many people have yet to realize is that when considered as a phone alone, the T600 is a great, enormously convenient one. IMHO Probably the best PHONE there is.

In addition, the Treo has:
    1) a larger, far brighter more readable screen,
    2) an SD card which is invaluable for doing full backups and restores on the road. And for unlimited storage. As well as bluetooth, GPS, WI_FI and more.
    3) A great 5-way d-pad that makes every app easier to use by far. And especially the phonebook and Browser.
    4) A great MP3 player
    5) a camera.
    6) A CPU thatís about 4 times faster and really shows itself on app performance. (No delays ON ANYTHING, My chess program can run about 20+ times faster, according to the developer) This also makes the next one possible
    7) A browser capable of handling java script gracefully and handling almost ANY web page. Just not so with i500.
    8) Great battery life, with the self contained battery, add-on battery to come.

For me The i500 plusses are the following.
    1) tri band - the analog mode is a plus that was more theoretical than actual for me, but I WOULD like to have it.
    2) size and weight: yes a plus. The unit has a certain esthetic beauty.

NET NET no comparison. To me the Treo 600 is a 9.6, the i500 a 7.5

I truly love my Treo 600, I truly liked my i500.

Pete
    Last edited by Pete_L_P; 11/25/2003 at 12:59 PM.