Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38
  1.    #1  
    Trying to decide which of these two programs to use for their turn on/off phone functions. Is there any major difference/advantage of one over the other? (besides TreoHelper being free and TreoTools costing $10).

    I'm not interested in the SMS functions that TreoHelper has, this is just in respect to the phone on/off stuff. Opinions of both would be appreciated. Thanks.
  2. 7zero's Avatar
    Posts
    214 Posts
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    #2  
    Greetings Jennyfur.

    I've been using Treo Helper since my Treo 300 days. I don't use it for anything other than the turn-off/turn-on feature. I did like the option to push the answer/end button to connect a call but, I'm sure that'll be on the way soon.

    So, to answer your question. Treo Helper rocks!

    Cheers.
    Palm IIIx, Palm Vx, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Centro, Pre
  3. #3  
    I think the auto turn-on function in TreoTool is more flexible then TreoHelper.
  4. #4  
    I use RadioControl which was developed by a fellow member...

    You can set the time when you want wireless mode to come on/off and also set wireless mode to turn on after a soft-reset.

    ...and it's free
    www.gsmworld.com
  5.    #5  
    Hmm.... I personally have been using TreoTools on my 180 and was just looking to see if there were any compelling reasons to switch. I like that TreoHelper is free, but I've found very little documentation on it (well, none actually). I hadn't heard of RadioControl. Got a link for it by any chance?
  6. #6  
    Originally posted by jennyfur
    Hmm.... I personally have been using TreoTools on my 180 and was just looking to see if there were any compelling reasons to switch. I like that TreoHelper is free, but I've found very little documentation on it (well, none actually). I hadn't heard of RadioControl. Got a link for it by any chance?
    you got it... RadioControl Thread
    www.gsmworld.com
  7.    #7  
    Thanks, I hadn't been aware of that program "Stretch" either. Hmm choices choices. I guess I'll have to give Radio Control a try... is it compatible with the Treo 600? If so then I'd probably prefer it over the other free choice (TreoHelper) since that one has all those extra features I'm not looking for.
  8. #8  
    I still suggest you guys give TreoTool a try. All other utilities you mentioned have the ability to turn the wireless on or off on specific time. But TreoTool does this better.

    By version 1.0.4 (for Treo 180/270/300), TreoTool enhanced the functionality for schedule the wireless mode on / off time. You can config the on / off time each day of a week. For example, turn the wireless on in 08:00 AM and turn off in 09:30 PM on Monday to Thursday. On Friday, set the on time in 08:00 AM but off time in 06:00 PM. And set it not to turn on during Saturday and Sunday.

    Even more, you can set multi-schedule in one day. Like turn on in 08:00 AM and off in 12:30 PM, and on again in 13:30 PM and off in 07:00 PM.

    I really like the flexibility by TreoTool. Even it's not free !!!

    BTW, TreoTool also has another version for Treo 600.
  9. #9  
    Originally posted by jennyfur
    Thanks, I hadn't been aware of that program "Stretch" either. Hmm choices choices. I guess I'll have to give Radio Control a try... is it compatible with the Treo 600? If so then I'd probably prefer it over the other free choice (TreoHelper) since that one has all those extra features I'm not looking for.
    I currently use RadioControl on my 600 (GSM version).
    www.gsmworld.com
  10. #10  
    Originally posted by nzmoko


    I currently use RadioControl on my 600 (GSM version).
    Any word from the developer (re T600 compatibility)?
  11. Exciter's Avatar
    Posts
    344 Posts
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    #11  
    I use Radio Control on my GSM 600 and it works great! It doesn't interfere with other alarms. It is a simple 'on' and 'off' app for the same time every day of the week. It has a much cooler icon on the applications screen than Treo Tools too. Best of all, it is free!

    Kirby
  12. #12  
    My only worry with RadioControl is that it doesn't take the order of wireless activation much like what the other apps does:

    TreoHelper, TreoTools: Soft Reset -> Palm OS reboot -> Wireless Activation

    RadioControl: Soft Reset -> Palm OS reboot (halfway) -> Wireless Activation -> Palm OS reboot (remaining bit)

    You might notice that with RadioControl, wireless activation kicks in during the Palm OS rebooting, and notice that after wireless activation is done, the Palm logo is still onscreen and the OS is still loading.

    I'm afraid that this might have serious implications. A hard reset is performed by holding down the top power button whilst the Palm OS is rebooting. This is the same power button that is used to turn on wireless mode. Also, the timing of when RadioControl activates wireless mode is also about the same time that the power button would be used to simulate a hard reset.

    So the only difference IMO, between RadioControl's wireless activation and actually performing a Hard Reset, basically comes down to the fact that the top power button isn't physically being pressed.

    Maybe I'm being paranoid, but at the cost of a few bytes (compared w TreoHelper, which is also free), I'm opting for my peace of mind.
  13. Exciter's Avatar
    Posts
    344 Posts
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    #13  
    You are absolutely correct rudychow. I disabled Radio Control and installed TreoHelper. Checked the "enable phone on reset button" and did a soft reset and the radio did not turn back on. Am I doing something wrong?

    Kirby
  14. #14  
    Originally posted by rudychow
    You might notice that with RadioControl, wireless activation kicks in during the Palm OS rebooting, and notice that after wireless activation is done, the Palm logo is still onscreen and the OS is still loading.
    I don't think there's too much to worry about that. It's mostly a cosmetic difference. In TreoHelper I just happen to have a 10 second delay from the start of bootup, but I'm sure all of the programs use the same API to turn the phone on.
  15. #15  
    Originally posted by Exciter
    You are absolutely correct rudychow. I disabled Radio Control and installed TreoHelper. Checked the "enable phone on reset button" and did a soft reset and the radio did not turn back on. Am I doing something wrong?
    For the Treo 600, you'll need at least version 0.56 of TH. Though I suspect you have that. So maybe check that you were within your allowed on/off times, because I check that too during a reset.
  16. Exciter's Avatar
    Posts
    344 Posts
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    #16  
    Originally posted by potatoho

    For the Treo 600, you'll need at least version 0.56 of TH. Though I suspect you have that. So maybe check that you were within your allowed on/off times, because I check that too during a reset.
    My problem was that I was within my on/off times. Works fine. Thanks!

    Kirby
  17.    #17  
    Originally posted by nomade
    I still suggest you guys give TreoTool a try. All other utilities you mentioned have the ability to turn the wireless on or off on specific time. But TreoTool does this better.

    By version 1.0.4 (for Treo 180/270/300), TreoTool enhanced the functionality for schedule the wireless mode on / off time. You can config the on / off time each day of a week. For example, turn the wireless on in 08:00 AM and turn off in 09:30 PM on Monday to Thursday. On Friday, set the on time in 08:00 AM but off time in 06:00 PM. And set it not to turn on during Saturday and Sunday.

    Even more, you can set multi-schedule in one day. Like turn on in 08:00 AM and off in 12:30 PM, and on again in 13:30 PM and off in 07:00 PM.

    I really like the flexibility by TreoTool. Even it's not free !!!

    BTW, TreoTool also has another version for Treo 600.
    I was already using an older version of TreoTools on my 180. This thread was just to find out more info in case their was a better option than what I have. Thanks for mentioning the day of the week scheduling and multi-scheduling in one day, my version doesn't have that functionality. That at least offsets the cost of the program somewhat (otherwise without it I couldn't see a reason to go with it over a free one). But I still don't know if having the wireless on for maybe 10 extra hours a week (the difference I figure it will make if I used the same schedule each day vs. being able to set it by day of the week) is worth $10....

    Hmm. For all I know, TreoHelper or Radio Control or whatever could very well add that functionality in an update....
    Last edited by jennyfur; 12/01/2003 at 09:50 AM.
  18.    #18  
    I can't seem to find a page anywhere with a good description of TreoHelper and all its functions. I may very well prefer this program over others, but since there's no info about it anywhere I'll never know! Has anybody done a review or posted a "manual" of sorts for it? If it can turn on/off wireless each day at a set time (like TreoTools) then that would put it above the rest. But there's no way of knowing since there's no documentation or even a description of the program on its download page. All I can figure from what I've seen/heard is that it can turn on/off the phone at a specified day (same each day I'm assuming) and it has some SMS stuff I'm not interested in. I was hoping somebody who uses it would be able to post a detailed description here.....
  19. #19  
    Originally posted by jennyfur
    I can't seem to find a page anywhere with a good description of TreoHelper and all its functions.
    Okay I pulled out the 'i' notes from the app, and put them in a text file on the site.

    http://rallypilot.sourceforge.net/

    They are outdated somewhat. Current status is that it is okay for the Treo 600 as of 0.56. The ringtones are broken for the 600 as it apparently requires a substantial rewrite as they don't support the PhnLib tone API any more, and now use a Tones Library.

    I usually have later builds in the /work directory.
  20.    #20  
    Thank you. That is way more helpful than anything I've seen so far on TreoHelper. It at least gives an explanation of the features now. If I knew more about the program I'd have just designed a page myself

    Just seems like something that was really needed for new & potential users
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions