Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    potatoho-- Will the SMS text match feature work with only a segment of the text message? I'd like it to recognize a domain name (not specific to an email address), ie, xxx.hotmail.com.
    One very nice feature of Treohelper that the other programs do not have is the retry connection feature.

With treohelper, you can retry to get wireless service a number of times at a set interval and then ... if you're really hosed... just give up.

And... it will start back up your network (GPRS or vision) service when you're back up...
    Originally posted by neill
    potatoho-- Will the SMS text match feature work with only a segment of the text message? I'd like it to recognize a domain name (not specific to an email address), ie, xxx.hotmail.com.
    It uses StrStr(), which finds any occurrence of the text within the SMS message. It is case-sensitive.
    does anyone know is treo buttons works on the 600?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  5.    #25  
    Originally posted by Felipe
    does anyone know is treo buttons works on the 600?
    There's no need for that program or Buttons-T or anything like them. You can just change what program the hard buttons launch in your preferences, and there's no flip lid to change anything for. If you're interested in setting ANY button (not just the hard buttons) to launch a program, make them a favorite or do a search on the forum for one of the programs specifically designed to do this. Many launcher programs have that functionality, as do some hacks. I'd like to keep this thread focused on TreoHelper and TreoTools (or other programs with the same functionality, like Radio Control).
  6.    #26  
    Originally posted by jaytee
    One very nice feature of Treohelper that the other programs do not have is the retry connection feature.

With treohelper, you can retry to get wireless service a number of times at a set interval and then ... if you're really hosed... just give up.

And... it will start back up your network (GPRS or vision) service when you're back up...
    So far I'm seeing this as the main advantage TreoHelper has over TreoTools. However, TreoTools has the advantage of being able to set different on/off times for the radio on different days (or even multiple times per day) that TreoHelper does not. So it comes down to which is the more useful feature. I wish one of them just did both *hint hint*

I've taken TreoTools off my 180 temporarily and giving TreoHelper a try instead. I figure that after using both for awhile, I can make an informed decision.
  7.    #27  
    OK been using treohelper a few days now on my 180 and I noticed something I don't recall happening with treotools (though that's not saying it isn't possible). I got an SMS message late at night and missed it. My phone is set to turn off at 2am. The next morning at 9am I noticed the SMS message sitting on the screen. presumably since the night before. When I hit OK the radio turned itself off (as if it had been waiting for a response to that SMS since the night before) and then immediately turned itself back on (which makes sense since my turn on time is 8am). Very odd. I wonder if this is a problem specific to the 180, or if the 600 would be affected as well? Do any dialogue screens stay put until you give some sort of input with it?
    Originally posted by jennyfur
    Very odd. I wonder if this is a problem specific to the 180, or if the 600 would be affected as well? Do any dialogue screens stay put until you give some sort of input with it?
    We had some problems on the GSM devices with turning on/off the phone during alarm callbacks. As a work-around we made the GSM devices use a normal alarm notification for the on/off. Thus the on/off is stacked with other modal dialogs.

On the Treo 600 (all models) I changed this to use callbacks for all events hoping that it wasn't a problem.

I really can't say what causes the problem. In some initial versions there wasn't an issue, and as you see other applications appear to be using alarm callbacks to turn on/off the phone without issues. It just became a flaky issue where on some devices it was ok and some it was a problem (working intermittently etc). If you have the build facilities, you can rebuild the app to use callbacks for all by modifying set_next_alarm_ref() in the TreoHelper code.
    Does anyone know why I cannot actually select a "SOUND" for an incoming SMS rule with TreoHelper .068 on a Treo600? Isn't this supposed to work? Thanks!
    Lee Ladisky
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeladisky
    Does anyone know why I cannot actually select a "SOUND" for an incoming SMS rule with TreoHelper .068 on a Treo600? Isn't this supposed to work? Thanks!
    Sorry that doesn't work on the Treo 600. TH needs to be upgraded to support the new toneslibrary for the 600.
    Potatoho--thanks for a useful tool! It's great to be able to set on/off times for individual days! Now for the bad--do you happen to have a list of incompatible hacks/programs? I'm using a 270 and seem to have issues that nobody has mentioned:

1) the Auto-Login feature does not work consistently (mostly not) and causes a long hang period when the login cancels (long "canceling" dialog).
    2) the Dial with handsfree button press feature doesn't dial and, in fact, prevents the button from properly hanging-up at the end of a call.

Again, thank you for taking the time to produce something useful, and especially for offering it gratis.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I kinda like the signal quality meter in TreoHelper, to be honest. TH seems to have all the features I need except one... turning the screen off during a call... I don't mind it on for a bit, but it gets annoying being on for an entire hour long call. I've seen an app that does it, but it's not free, therefore I'm not going to bother. I'm cheap, I'd much rather find a freeware alternative to do everything I need.
    Quote Originally Posted by rudychow
    You might notice that with RadioControl, wireless activation kicks in during the Palm OS rebooting, and notice that after wireless activation is done, the Palm logo is still onscreen and the OS is still loading.

I'm afraid that this might have serious implications. A hard reset is performed by holding down the top power button whilst the Palm OS is rebooting. This is the same power button that is used to turn on wireless mode. Also, the timing of when RadioControl activates wireless mode is also about the same time that the power button would be used to simulate a hard reset.
    My apologies for responding to this so late -- I was only just made aware of its existence.

I am the author of RadioControl.

There is no cause for concern in the way RadioControl activates the wireless during a soft-reset. While the power button is used to both activate the wireless mode and hard-reset the device, what happens in the software is completely different. There is no code in RC that could cause a hard reset.

The rest of the description is accurate -- RC does in fact interrupt the reset sequence to turn on the wireless mode, and then returns control to the OS to continue the reset sequence. The only side-effect of this is a slightly longer time necessary to perform the reset (as the wireless makes its connection to the service provider), but again, there is no chance of a hard reset occuring.

Hoepfully this will set potential users minds at ease -- with over 7000 downloads of RC, I'm sure I'd have heard about it if the program was causing a major problem like that

Thanks for your time!
    Quote Originally Posted by potatoho
    Sorry that doesn't work on the Treo 600. TH needs to be upgraded to support the new toneslibrary for the 600.
    Any chance this upgrade will happen soon? I really like TH the best of all the options and wold love to be able to add a specific tone for a specific SMS incoming msg.
    Charliec
    Quote Originally Posted by charliec
    Any chance this upgrade will happen soon? I really like TH the best of all the options and wold love to be able to add a specific tone for a specific SMS incoming msg.
    It's too much work Handspring in their infinite wisdom, broke backwards compatibility, both on the device and in the SDK. It would have to be split into two separate projects etc.
  16.    #36  
    Wow... didn't expect this thread to ever come back to life

I ended up going with TreoHelper many many months ago. Great tool. Shame about the backwards compatibility, but lucky for me I don't need specific tones on mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by potatoho
    It's too much work Handspring in their infinite wisdom, broke backwards compatibility, both on the device and in the SDK. It would have to be split into two separate projects etc.

does the work on the 650?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I suspect that TreoHelper's "turn off data after x seconds" feature is dangerous; I know it causes resets when used in conjunction with Chatter. Since the code violates a very specific warning in the documentation from Handspring, I would watch out for unusual resets.

Marc
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12