1.    #1  
    Just familiarizing myself w/ my Treo - and found a couple interesting peices thought I would share.

1. The phone is slightly customized. There is an AT&T Wireless welcome screen and Office Online does show up as an application. Not sure if this is on the SIM card, or loaded into ROM. Office Online is much like Sprint's Business Connection - basically for AT&T it amounts to a bookmark to AT&T's wireless homepage - and then access to things like Outlook from behind the firewall etc. But on the handset it's mostly just a bookmark I believe.

2. Not sure it the phone is locked, but it does come with a special SIM card, that is not swappable with the "regular" SIMS that I already have. In the instructions it says you are to call AT&T to transfer phone information to the new SIM. I assumed that was just their excuse to get you to call and put the IMEA in their system. But when I removed the supplied SIM - it's different. A little thicker, and the bottom portion where the serial number is is white. On my other cards, the whole card is blue. Putting the blue card in my phone and powering up didn't bring up the standard screen. Just the top banner w/ the time and battery status showed up. So I swapped back to the white card, and everything powered up fine. Be interesting to see what a Cingular card would do in this phone. (And no there are no other GSM carriers in my area to perform such a test)
    That sounds weird... hope it's not some kind of proprietary sim card or something... You got your T600 from AT&T.. how much was it, did they try to slap on some kind of contract/"upgrade" fee etc? Do you still have the 30 day return policy?

Mike
    According to ATT CSR phone is locked and they will not unlock it.
  4.    #4  
    Just an update.

The SIM is different - but after calling in the serial on the blue/white card and waiting 5 hours for it to go live - I stuck the old card in again.

This time I waited a full minute before I did anything - and somewhere in that time - things registered and I have service to the phone.

I called the GSM migration number again, and their systems are updating again (surprise) but the tech said that he wasn't aware of any differences and that the blue/white card might just be a newer card, or one from a different manufacturer.

So the upshot is, my old SIM works - and I am keeping it in until it stops - which would be my signal that they actual processed the info for the new SIM.

Mike - yes I did order it direct from AT&T. No upgrade fee - I paid $549 for it - so my fee was to not get the $50 rebate. Otherwise it's all the same as a new activation. 30 return policy in place. Phone charged to my account. Free overnight shipping.

FYI - if you ever do send back a phone during that 30 days, hold on. It takes them forever to credit your account. I returned a Motorola MPx200 and it's been 5 weeks and it still shows on there.
    SQLDba - The SIM that was included in the package is different only due to AT&T using a new SIM provider. There is no major difference between SIMs, except one is active and one is not.

If you did not request a SIM swap, then your old SIM should work fine. If the request is waiting for the system, then your old SIM should continue to work until your new one is provisioned, then you can just swap them.

Hope this helps. I was in the same situation until I finally got to someone who knew the story.

-Izzy
    Originally posted by SQLDba
    Mike - yes I did order it direct from AT&T. No upgrade fee - I paid $549 for it - so my fee was to not get the $50 rebate. Otherwise it's all the same as a new activation. 30 return policy in place. Phone charged to my account. Free overnight shipping.

FYI - if you ever do send back a phone during that 30 days, hold on. It takes them forever to credit your account. I returned a Motorola MPx200 and it's been 5 weeks and it still shows on there.
    Thanks for the update!! Can you return the phone to any AT&T Wireless Store location? Or can you only send it in?

Also, let us know how things are going! We've all been reading about problems with the speakerphone, (or phone audio in general!), etc. How are things going for you on AT&T?

Mike
    Not to speak ahead of SQLDba but... my experiences with AT&T have been good so far.

I asked about the returns and since the treo 600 is not available in all stores, they suggest calling into to care, but you can take it to an AT&T store or even the indirects. Best guess is to return it the way you bought it to avoid confusion or issues.

I read about the audio problems and was anxious to see how mine worked. So far it seems good. The audio quality was fine for me, but maybe I'm not that sensitive to such things. The handsfree headset works okay, but I don't use those often. The speakerphone has been fine, except for the location on the back which is a little awkward.

I would like to see if anyone else sees this with AT&T and what their experience is like. Maybe I got luckY?

-I
  8.    #8  
    Izzy - thanks for the info. When I stuck my old card in and it didn't power up right away, I thought that the cards were different. But there must have been some initialization going on which caused the delay.

In terms of returning the phone - it comes to you with a return label etc. You should keep the box and all packing materials - makes it the easiest.

Otherwise, you must return it to the same place you bought it - i.e. the phone order fullfilment location. You can't (and they won't accept) take it to your nearest wireless store.

If you trash the box it came in, you have to call them and they will ship you a packet with a shipping label, as well as instructions on how to return the phone. It's easy, just takes them a while to credit your account.

In terms of service experience. No problems w/ the speakerphone, although, I do hear that audible click that all PDA speakers seem to have when sound starts playing. But that's not limited to the Handspring.

RF reception is fantastic. I get 2 bars where my Moto 721 got 1, and the Moto MPx200 got no signal. It is very comparable to a Siemens S46 - which is probably AT&Ts best phone for RF.

I'm very happy.
    Ditto here- Works great- No problems located as of yet. I am happy with the speaker and the RF seems to be great. Only complaint is I have not been very productive at work today- LOL.
    All of this sounds really good! Now, I just found out that my T600 should be shipping from handspring soon... But just to ask you guys who already have one, how is the camera? As you know, some people have had probs with the camera with brightness/ blue dots, etc...

Also, what is the hardware revision of your AT&T Treo 600? So far, it seems like we've seen A,B, and C.

Mike
    Mine is a ver B. As far as the cam- I didn't seem to have any problems for a cheap camera....but to be honest with you I could really care less about the cam. To me its' just a novelty. Actually- I would have preferred not to have it and wish HS would of put the money into something else on the 600.
  12.    #12  
    I have version A - got it from AT&T direct, not HS.

I agree w/ Mike about the camera. What I was looking for is something that would replace or consolidate what I carry everyday - i.e. a PDA and cell phone. I don't carry a camera everyday, don't need one everyday, and when I do, I get the big dog out (Nikon 5700 if it matters).

I know that HS was just trying to add one more feature - one more geewhiz to the list of treo features - but that is kind of like Ford touting carpeted floormats as a great standard feature.

I wish for they would have spent that $13 toward a high res screen or used the free space they would gain for just "that" much more battery. Something - but what they gave us was a crappy camera and an opportunity for all the non-Treo owners to bash the phone, cause it doesn't take as good a pictures as their Samsung etc. Course it doesn't mix cake batter as well as my Kitchen-Aid mixer does either....
    If I get the phone from Handspring, will there be any problems swapping my current ATT sim card from my Sony Ericsson phone?

I want to do the upgrade, but not sure if I'll be charged anything more.